Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: $40 ($38 with Autopay) 4GB Data / Unlimited Province-Wide Talk Plan - Public Mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Might be worthwhile. The data flexibility is attractive, though you'll lose 1gb/month equivalent and Canada wide calling.
    The other nice advantage of the PM plan is that it's 100% legit. No chance of being "audited" and kicked off the Koodo plan.

Oh and there's a loyalty discount with public mobile $1/month discount per year year with them (to a $5/month max). And referal discounts too ($1/month per referal)

Feedback Score
    I just switched to this plan and everything during activation went smoothly. Data speeds on Public LTE for me were between 25 and 45Mbps down and between 3 and 20Mbps for upload, while download speeds were about 15Mbps on HSPA+ when I checked.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    You won't really

Saves $8 per month ($96 per year)
    That much is enough to add on 400 minutes INTERNATIONAL long distance every month (with no expiry date ever)
    So you will get Canada, US, and a bunch of random countries as well for same price point + increased flexibility in how you use your data
    Was on the fence about moving from $48 plan after seeing it on RFD. But after reading a few posts over here at hofo I think I'll switch. $10/month savings for data flexibility sounds pretty good. Plus I only need Ontario calling.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    You won't really

Saves $8 per month ($96 per year)
    That much is enough to add on 400 minutes INTERNATIONAL long distance every month (with no expiry date ever)
    So you will get Canada, US, and a bunch of random countries as well for same price point + increased flexibility in how you use your data
    You mean 200 ( two hundred) minutes for 8$. And that extra GB is 50$ if you ask Thellus
    Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. [Mark Twain]

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    You mean 200 ( two hundred) minutes for 8$. And that extra GB is 50$ if you ask Thellus
    ?
    The extra GB is only $30
    Are you sure you are looking at Public Mobile pages?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    ?
    The extra GB is only $30
    Are you sure you are looking at Public Mobile pages?
    I'm talking Koodo since that's what the comparison was with...and it was sarcasm without the /s

Also you chose to focus on the joke not on the 200 vs 400 min....and "only 30$"? Since when that's reasonable for 1GB? Only in Canada....
    Unfortunately, this IS the best offer currently for BYOP.

Name:  2016-10-28-1477684618-8846753-ScreenShot20161028at3.56.33PM.png
Views: 579
Size:  63.3 KB
    Last edited by Ipse; 11-01-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I noticed on the web site that on the in-province calling plan, you can't even receive calls out of province? That's bothersome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I noticed on the web site that on the in-province calling plan, you can't even receive calls out of province? That's bothersome.
    Correct, but I understand an LD add-on can take care of that. 4c/minute isn't bad for LD.

I have a system where missed calls failover to my voicemail through a VoIP provider. I'll set it up so it rings my phone on SIP. Then I won't miss a beat as long as I have data.

Feedback Score
    What speed are you guys getting on this plan?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LandlineFree View Post
    Correct, but I understand an LD add-on can take care of that. 4c/minute isn't bad for LD.
    VOIP like Skype can be used for incoming calls since data is Canada wide

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LandlineFree View Post

I have a system where missed calls failover to my voicemail through a VoIP provider. I'll set it up so it rings my phone on SIP. Then I won't miss a beat as long as I have data.
    Does it count "missed calls because you don't have long distance minutes" as missed for the purpose of forwarding?

Feedback Score
    Awesome plan that I may be pursuing.

One question. As someone with a 5 year old iPhone, I am in desperate need of a new device. What are my options to getting a new phone on this plan? Do they offer phones? Or would I have to buy it outright somewhere else? I would also need to get an unlocked phone correct?

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Call forwarding is included and the recommendation from the community forums is to use a voip service like Fongo or Freephoneline.ca to forward your calls and use data for making and receiving calls while out of province.

Quote Originally Posted by theorthoticguy View Post
    Awesome plan that I may be pursuing.

One question. As someone with a 5 year old iPhone, I am in desperate need of a new device. What are my options to getting a new phone on this plan? Do they offer phones? Or would I have to buy it outright somewhere else? I would also need to get an unlocked phone correct?
    Public Mobile doesn't sell phones and customer service is self-serve largely (no call centres unless you are on a grandfathered pre-Telus plan). Their site links to Orchid for buying used phones, but they are generally overpriced. Public Mobile should be compatible with unlocked phones or phones locked to Telus and/or Koodo.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/CM13
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dx3 View Post
    Call forwarding is included and the recommendation from the community forums is to use a voip service like Fongo or Freephoneline.ca to forward your calls and use data for making and receiving calls while out of province.
    Do the VOIP services allow your number to appear to be your SIM card number (ie your regular mobile number) without porting? If not, one could use a VOIP service to receive calls (so that people are still calling your regular number) and then call back with Hangouts Dialer (which appears as your regular number).

Feedback Score
    A colleague at work just signed up for this. Looking at the APN information, I noticed the MVNO fields were populated. The MVNO type was GID. From a administration perspective, is public set up as a MVNO by Telus? Perhaps this is just misplaced data in the APN configuration file.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast