Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: $40 ($38 with Autopay) 4GB Data / Unlimited Province-Wide Talk Plan - Public Mobile

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tvisforme View Post
    Do the VOIP services allow your number to appear to be your SIM card number (ie your regular mobile number) without porting?
    VoIP.ms allows you to set the displayed CID to your own number. No need to port to have your contacts see your cell number when you are using the VoIP service.

For inbound calls to your cell number, you can forward it to your VoIP.ms DID (direct inward dial) number, which would ring your VoIP client on the phone. Pick a DID in the same area code as your SIM number to avoid LD.

On of the advantages of using a prepaid cell service is call forwarding is always included.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the silly question - I ordered the SIM card and once it arrives, what is the process to activate this plan and port over my existing phone number from Rogers? What are the steps to get this plan going? Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theorthoticguy View Post
    Sorry for the silly question - I ordered the SIM card and once it arrives, what is the process to activate this plan and port over my existing phone number from Rogers? What are the steps to get this plan going? Thanks in advance!
    Hey, I'm the guy you've been talking to over Reddit.

When it arrives, you simply create your account on their website and choose your plan.
    Then, it'll ask if you want to port in a number: this process will probably require your Rogers pin, the number and a backup phone.
    It's pretty straight forward honestly, you won't have any problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghettio View Post

When it arrives, you simply create your account on their website and choose your plan.
    Then, it'll ask if you want to port in a number: this process will probably require your Rogers pin, the number and a backup phone.
    Awesome, thanks for all the help!

Device(s)
    Google Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaghettio View Post

Also if you guy's aren't using anyone for referral, there are a few ads on Kijiji offering to send $5 (the cost of the sim) if you use them as your referral.
    Here is the one that I used http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1212999872

Might as well get $5 free

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Cleaver way for the guy to make $1/month by outlaying $5 at the start.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    VoIP.ms allows you to set the displayed CID to your own number. No need to port to have your contacts see your cell number when you are using the VoIP service.

For inbound calls to your cell number, you can forward it to your VoIP.ms DID (direct inward dial) number, which would ring your VoIP client on the phone. Pick a DID in the same area code as your SIM number to avoid LD.

On of the advantages of using a prepaid cell service is call forwarding is always included.
    thanks so much for this info, this might be pretty handy if i travel around.
    could you please provide more details? or is there any instruction of how to set up this? i saw previous other mentioned fongo, can i do this with skype? and also i wonder if this works while i'm away from canada let's say during vacation.
    i'm really new to these stuff. much appreciate.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks for all the help!
    Someone also posted this over at RFD which was from the PM community:

http://productioncommunity.publicmob...p/80123#M13384

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If CCF is included, then I am thinking that adding the 200 or 400 LD minutes ($8 or $15/3 months respectively) would make this very workable. Should then be able to receive calls while anywhere in Canada (up to 200 or 400 minutes) and would be able to forward missed calls to fongo or GV, which helps when travelling outside of Canada.
    Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    Unlimited Provincial Calling, Unlimited Global SMS/MMS, Conditional Call Forwarding, 10 message VM
    12GB/90 days
    $36/Month Public Mobile, $15 400 international LD that don't expire
    $49/6GB, Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Feedback Score
    I was wondering if anyone can weigh in and provide some insight on the grandfathering process that public mobile uses. Looking through the forums, it seems like over the past little while they have had a number of promotions with big discounts applied to varying combinations talk and data. This current deal seems to be the best so far for those who favor data. According to the terms of service, they can raise prices or change any term for that matter by simply by posting it on their website. Come November 21 when this promotion ends, the discount will change and it will be reflected on their website. Effectively, does this mean that everyone who renews their 90 day/province talk/12 gig data plan will be charged the price as posted on their website in January?

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can weigh in and provide some insight on the grandfathering process that public mobile uses. Looking through the forums, it seems like over the past little while they have had a number of promotions with big discounts applied to varying combinations talk and data. This current deal seems to be the best so far for those who favor data. According to the terms of service, they can raise prices or change any term for that matter by simply by posting it on their website. Come November 21 when this promotion ends, the discount will change and it will be reflected on their website. Effectively, does this mean that everyone who renews their 90 day/province talk/12 gig data plan will be charged the price as posted on their website in January?
    The mods on the community forums there seem to indicate that as long as you sign up or request a plan change to the promo plan by November 20, then you will be able to keep the plan moving forward.

With respect to grandfathered plans, my wife's small business retains two grandfathered plans:

• $25 per month for unlimited Canada wide calling and texting
    • $90 for 90 days with unlimited provincial talk, text and 1 GB of data

Public Mobile has not forced or even suggested changing out of either of those plans. The only catch is that the $25 plan is not rewards eligible so it does not get discounts for referrals or loyalty. Given the short time in which this current iteration of Public Mobile has existed (ie post-Telus acquisition), there isn't enough of a sample size to conclusively state that they will remove or alter grandfathered plans, but for the two years we've been with them, they have not messed with grandfathered plans.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    what is the process to activate this plan and port over my existing phone number from Rogers? What are the steps to get this plan going?
    A thorough step-by-step.
    http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-port-switch-public-mobile

--
    Data Witness PM for Android
    - tracks data usage over the PM 90 day cycle
    DataMan Next for iPhone
    - "compatible with all billing periods"
    Last edited by pjw918; 11-03-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dx3 View Post
    The mods on the community forums there seem to indicate that as long as you sign up or request a plan change to the promo plan by November 20, then you will be able to keep the plan moving forward.

With respect to grandfathered plans, my wife's small business retains two grandfathered plans:

• $90 for 90 days with unlimited provincial talk, text and 1 GB of data

Public Mobile has not forced or even suggested changing out of either of those plans. The only catch is that the $25 plan is not rewards eligible so it does not get discounts for referrals or loyalty. Given the short time in which this current iteration of Public Mobile has existed (ie post-Telus acquisition), there isn't enough of a sample size to conclusively state that they will remove or alter grandfathered plans, but for the two years we've been with them, they have not messed with grandfathered plans.
    Thanks, nice to know the history of how public operates. Most people seem to think that all plans wireless are grandfathered and can/should never change. We have to be mindful of the terms of service allows everything to be changed, including the terms of service. It is quite the one sided contract. The only way to judge what is likely to happen is to go by past history. It looks like history is on our side with public mobile.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    Public Mobile (Telus) has always honoured pricing so long as line is active and phone uses a SIM card

There are lots of threads about the old days
    Telus engaged in really bad practises to kick everyone off old CDMA network, raising rates, limiting unlimited plans, and cancelling subscribers who refused to make the plan changes but paid bills

Long time ago, but it happened and many people (myself included) thought Telus was planning a total shutdown

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dx3 View Post

Public Mobile has not forced or even suggested changing out of either of those plans. The only catch is that the $25 plan is not rewards eligible so it does not get discounts for referrals or loyalty.
    It's a big difference
    With a few referrals the new plans nearly pay for themselves

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast