Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Switching From TracFone Brands (Net10, StraightTalk,...) VWZ to Total Wireless VWZ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphoxj View Post
    I guess it isn't a bad idea to keep a stockpile of old junker Verizon branded 4G LTE phones with clean IMEIs so you have a stockpile of disposable IMEI's to use for the initial activation, then pop your SIM into the phone you want to use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using HoFo mobile app
    I tried that before activating one verizon phone then transferring the sim to the actual verizon phone I wanted to use and every time the phone I would transfer the sim to it would only get 3g data no Lte and that is not worth it to get 3g data. I suggest filing the fcc complaint, maybe after so many complaints tw will stop this crap because the fcc will go after them and make an example of them I would hope so at least.

Feedback Score
    They did that crap to me back in april. I had to change the imei on one of my phones to an Htc m8 one that was never on straight talk so I could use my phone on tw. They gave me that same crap, so my fix was to give them the middle finger and switch my imei to that of another phone that I own. I think they are trying to do this on purpose and yes it is illegal and they should be filed fcc complaints on to get them to stop trying to bully customers.

Feedback Score
    TW also gives a 5% discount for auto pay so that makes up for taxes. I think most others make you do auto pay to get their cheap rate so the taxes thing is pretty much a wash when you take off 5% for auto pay. Also TW you can get unl calling and texting for $25 a month then buy data plans separately for $10 for 3 gigs but that is roll over data so you never lose it as long as you keep service active. I do this as I use less than 2 gigs per month of data so I only pay $25 many months and use roll over data and buy more as I need which saves me money.

Feedback Score
    If you change you imei last 4 digits your phone may not work as that imei could already be registered and working on verizon service so doing so you could be illegally cloning someone else's imei which is illegal. Only ever change an imei to one that is legally your property ie you own that device that that imei came on or you at least have possession of the phone which it has that imei number on its sticker.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roefastford View Post
    TW also gives a 5% discount for auto pay so that makes up for taxes. I think most others make you do auto pay to get their cheap rate so the taxes thing is pretty much a wash when you take off 5% for auto pay. Also TW you can get unl calling and texting for $25 a month then buy data plans separately for $10 for 3 gigs but that is roll over data so you never lose it as long as you keep service active. I do this as I use less than 2 gigs per month of data so I only pay $25 many months and use roll over data and buy more as I need which saves me money.
    My average usage is right around 3GB -> 4GB. Wish they had a $15/5GB addon!!!

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roefastford View Post
    If you change you imei last 4 digits your phone may not work as that imei could already be registered and working on verizon service so doing so you could be illegally cloning someone else's imei which is illegal. Only ever change an imei to one that is legally your property ie you own that device that that imei came on or you at least have possession of the phone which it has that imei number on its sticker.
    What is recommended is to change the last digit only of the IMEI, which is just a check digit. Not the last 4 digits which indeed could be for a different phone.

Feedback Score

Don't call use the online chat

I encountered this issue and my internet search for answers brought me here. I have a Verizon phone (unlocked) that I use with straight talk. I've only had it for a month whereas prior I had a GSM phone with straight talk for several years. My husband got a CDMA phone and made the switch over to total wireless about a year ago. The plan was when it was time for new phones, get me on CDMA too so we could take advantage of the 2 lines for $60 on total wireless. A significant savings over straight talk. So the day before my air time ran out I called total wireless (because their website wouldn't let me log into my husband's online account). Got the bad news that their system "didn't have the capability to switch between different Tracfone owned companies". I ranted and raved and questioned and it got me nowhere. I also told them about my login issues and answer was "website is down don't know when it will be back up try again later". Found this thread. Called back to try again. Same answer. Accused them of sim locking, trying to increase profit margin by not allowing folks to switch, incompetence, etc, threatened the FCC complaint. They told me it was not SIM locked because I could take it to any other non Tracfone carrier. Still no dice. Actually filed FCC complaint. Messaged total on Facebook about the issue. They started responding asking for the PIN for the $60 airtime card without any other info first. Also their responses were 5-10 minute lag time. Abandoned this route.
    No response on FCC complaint. Tonight my husband decided to try the online chat with total because he's always had great results with it. He laid out all the cards. Gave them my IMEid and without even switching out my straight talk sim for a total sim (which we had at the ready) I am now on total wireless on my husband's plan. He also mentioned not being able to login to his account. The chat rep sent him a password reset link and all is well. It wasn't that the website was down. It was just a lazy phone rep who didn't want to troubleshoot.
    Moral of the story- phone support are unhelpful morons. Use chat only. Keep trying until you get someone who can do it, because it is possible.
    I was miffed to lose 28 days of paid service with straight talk, but we will recoup it within 2 months on total's 2 line plan. I'm only out $3 on the unnecessary total wireless sim because I got it on eBay.
    Hope this helps someone if you find yourself in this frustrating boat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sumtingwong View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for the 5GB/$35/month plan. TW is $5/month cheaper than Boom! so that's why I'm willing to put up with the BS from TW. I know everything has its price but I'm no snowflake and I'm willing to take the BS until all avenues are exhausted.
    LOL..you would waste your time for a $5. difference? You seem to enjoy the drama.

Feedback Score
    I ported over to TW from Page Plus without any problem. Also their website has the sim for only $1 with free shipping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    LOL..you would waste your time for a $5. difference? You seem to enjoy the drama.
    Are you THAT DENSE? You really meant $5, ONE TIME, THAT'S IT! is ALL I saved?

What an IDIOT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2