Thread: SIM Card - can you switch phones ?

Feedback Score

Question SIM Card - can you switch phones ?

I was going to buy the 7-11 speakout sim card.

To activate you need to provide your IMEI number. This is where I may run into a problem. Can you take the sim card out and use it on another phone or is it locked to the original phone with the IMEI number used to activate the sim card?

I need to use a sim card for my wireless alarm for my shed. The alarm is not a phone, so it doesn't have an IMEI. If the alarm goes off, the alarm will ring my phone number so I know someone has broken in.

Does anyone know?

Feedback Score
    The 7-11 Speakout sim cards are not IMEI locked. You can move them between devices.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    KnowRoaming
    Feedback Score
    Can confirm that - I moved one from flip phone to a smartphone.

But giving up on Speakout. It is too costly when out of home calling area. For example, we visit daughter in Toronto. While there we call her from local store - It's long distance!

We now have a KnowRoaming Global SIM card. Costs $9,95 but ~$7.00 if you use promo code (GRAM040 should work) and then you get about $15.00 in airtime credits. Also free LD in USA and Canada. Just pay for airtime. We bought one for use in USA, but have decided it will do everyhting we need in Canada too (For us, Basically an emergency phone) Check it out at knowroaming.com

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Too costly? SpeakOut has the largest calling area of any provider I have seen. I am in Niagara Falls, but I can go as far west to Windsor, north to Tobermory, and it's all considered a local call.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    KnowRoaming
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdrumming View Post
    Too costly? SpeakOut has the largest calling area of any provider I have seen. I am in Niagara Falls, but I can go as far west to Windsor, north to Tobermory, and it's all considered a local call.
    Well, try visiting a town out of your calling are. For example Kingston. Call from your hotel to any local number. You are out of your calling area, so will have to pay a long distance charge even although number called is just around the block.

I am in USA on Knowroaming and can call anywhere in USA or Canada for 13c/min(US). When at home it costs 18c/min(US). Slightly larger calling area An unlimited data plan plus Fongo might be another choice for some.
    Last edited by cloudix; 01-23-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    You're comparing apples and oranges. I am talking about SpeakOut, in the SpeakOut forum. SpeakOut is a Canadian MVNO, and yes, has the largest local calling area I've seen. You're talking about a global sim. You could compare that global sim with any provider.