Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Mint SIM - Currently $35 for 3 months of service with unlimited talk, text, 2gb

Feedback Score

Mint SIM - Currently $35 for 3 months of service with unlimited talk, text, 2gb

I couldn't find the old Mint SIM thread but I've been considering trying Mint given Ringplus's ongoing wackiness. They've been teasing some sort of promo the past few days and last night they released the details. $35 gets you 3 months of service with unlimited talk, text, and 2gb of high-speed data plus unlimited throttled data. This is on T-Mo's native network only. Support told me they are working on getting wi-fi calling - I don't know if they have it yet. The 12-month deal for the same plan is now listed as $199 instead of $250 - I don't know if that's the new price or just a promo. I went ahead and ordered a 3-month SIM to check it out. I am just trying to decide if I'll go ahead and port my main line from Ringplus.

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    My wife used Ultra Mobile, Mint's parent company, on their $19 plan for just over 2 years, including the 12 months/$99 special, and except for the inherent weakness of T-Mobile's prepaid network coverage, the service was flawless, so hopefully Mint's service will be as good. That $35/3 months is a really good deal!

My wife ported out of Ultra less than a month ago only because her data needs increased, and she now needs better coverage than T-Mobile's prepaid network can provide.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What happens after the 3 months? I assume if the promo is still running one can sign up for another 3 months, but otherwise, one has to choose one of the regular priced plan offerings (3/6/9/12 month option)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    What happens after the 3 months? I assume if the promo is still running one can sign up for another 3 months, but otherwise, one has to choose one of the regular priced plan offerings (3/6/9/12 month option)?
    I understand the $35/3 months is currently a promo. So when the 3 months is up you have to renew at the standard price. Until yesterday, 12 months was $250, averaging $21 a month. I can't tell if the current $199 price for 12 months will be the new price going forward, but I hope so. If it is, I will likely go with them long-term.

Feedback Score
    Is it possible to port from Ultramobile to Mint? I have a phone that is currently on Ultra, would like to move to one of the longer (and cheaper!) Mint plans. Would there be a problem since Mint is owned by Ultra?

Sean

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snehne View Post
    Is it possible to port from Ultramobile to Mint? I have a phone that is currently on Ultra, would like to move to one of the longer (and cheaper!) Mint plans. Would there be a problem since Mint is owned by Ultra?

Sean
    The reports I've read say it is fine to port from Ultra to Mint.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Will give it a try on the 3month/$35 plan. Moving a line over from airvoice $20 plan. We had ultra mobile before. Tmo service in our area is generally acceptable. The house itself sits in a bit of a dead spot, but still sufficient service for voice most of the time - as was the case at least back through all of 2015 when we had service with ultra. Tmo service elsewhere in the chicago area is generally decent.

Anyway, ordered the sim yesterday afternoon, used the code 'freeship' to get complementary priority mail shipping. It got delivered with today's mail! Lets hope the rest of the transition will be as painless

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It should also be noted, that unlike tmobile prepaid/postpaid, you can't start the account on a temporary number then port the actual in. They say each number/plan is a unique pair. A new number requires a new plan. This seems to be common with many mvno's these days.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Moto G3, Moto G4 Play, LG Gpad X, Nextbit Robin, LG Tribute HD.
    Carrier(s)
    Expo Mobile, Teltik, Tracfone (AT&T), Bluegreen Mobile, NetTalk Wireless, Tello
    Feedback Score
    That's not the case with Tracfone. I know because I ported a number over 3 months after I signed up. I had to get a new sim, though.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Does Mint have call forwarding? As in forward to Google Voice voicemail instead? I remember my old WalMart TMobile plan did not, but I can do this on my H2O plan.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When we had ultra mobile, ccf worked. According to mintsim customer service, this feature is available. Will let you know for sure in about 2 weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    When we had ultra mobile, ccf worked. According to mintsim customer service, this feature is available. Will let you know for sure in about 2 weeks.
    Interesting... I think I'm gonna bite!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Decided to do the port today before all the holiday madness. Went from airvoice wireless to mintsim.

After providing the activation code from the sim they mailed, the port page asked for the phone number, account, and pin. I suspect their system does a check to determine who the current provider is and adjusts the fields based on this info. My guess is if the mothership was not an mvno, more questions would be asked (billing name/addr/etc).

The whole port took all of about 3 minutes. To speed things up, I called the original provider to have them acknowledge/releases the number. This wasn't necessary but I wanted to get this done with asap.

Speeds in my immediate area on lte are garbage. The house is practically in a tmo dead spot. Voice works well but data not so. On lte I was barely able to get 1mbps down and about .5 up.

Dropping down to hspa revealed about 4mbps down and 3 mbps up. This too, on a marginal signal. These tests were performed on my moto x pure (xt1575). The end user actually uses a hacked verizon moto e (xt1528). Surprisingly it was able to lock on to band 4 lte (chicago), but data was worse than dial up. Dropping it down to hspa delivered about 3mbps down. Plenty fast for what it'll be used for.

Service in our basement was spotty at best. Att definitely has a stronger signal here. If only they (or an mvno) could offer a similar plan at the same price point. I'm not too concerned with data service at the house because the phone will be on wifi anyway. We'll be satisfied as long as voice is usable at the house.

Conditional call forwarding

code: *004*{10 digit #}#

As expected, ccf worked fine. Customer service provided a code of *72{number}, which failed. Youmail support provided the correct code.

Something to be aware of. CCF will need to be reconfigured anytime the sim changes devices. Otherwise it reverts to the tmobile voice mail.

I'll do some more testing in the coming weeks with lte data to determine what the speeds are when the signal is better.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing. I got my SIMs in and am considering porting this weekend.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Coupon code 10off for $10 on new acounts, or freeship for free shipping. Does not appear to be stackable. Credit for code goes to slickdeals.net.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast