Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Porting to Google Voice: Pros and Cons?

Feedback Score

Porting to Google Voice: Pros and Cons?

Looking to port my number to GV and looking for comments on likes or dislikes. If I have this correct, when I dial out to someone, do I need to use the dialer on the phone or use the GV dial pad app? If phone dialer, does the other party see the phone number I'm using or will it show my number ported to GV? What about sending MMS..does it work with Google Voice? Again, do I need to use the GV dialer? Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I've been using GV for primary number for a few months now. Generally speaking, it has been great. The ease of integration is going to depend in part on whether you have an iPhone or an Android handset. Either way, if you want to be able to send/receive MMS using your GV number, you will need to opt into Hangouts for handling GV. Then you can use Hangouts through your browser or your phone for texting or sending MMS messages. What number the other side will see will depend on what you choose for the GV dialer. On Android, it's wonderfully integrated - you install the GV app, and then you can choose to have it always make calls using your GV number. So selecting numbers in a browser, from contacts, etc., or any calls using the native dialer will show your GV number on the other end. The correct outgoing number will also show up in your call history. On iPhone, you always have to remember to place calls through the app. The native dialer will only use your carrier number, and you have a list of funky numbers in your call history.

In short, my experience has been good. I wish the iPhone experience was a little more integrated, and that part has me thinking about dropping my iPhone 6S Plus and going to a Moto Z Play or something. I still haven't made up my mind.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post
    I've been using GV for primary number for a few months now. Generally speaking, it has been great. The ease of integration is going to depend in part on whether you have an iPhone or an Android handset. Either way, if you want to be able to send/receive MMS using your GV number, you will need to opt into Hangouts for handling GV. Then you can use Hangouts through your browser or your phone for texting or sending MMS messages. What number the other side will see will depend on what you choose for the GV dialer. On Android, it's wonderfully integrated - you install the GV app, and then you can choose to have it always make calls using your GV number. So selecting numbers in a browser, from contacts, etc., or any calls using the native dialer will show your GV number on the other end. The correct outgoing number will also show up in your call history. On iPhone, you always have to remember to place calls through the app. The native dialer will only use your carrier number, and you have a list of funky numbers in your call history.

In short, my experience has been good. I wish the iPhone experience was a little more integrated, and that part has me thinking about dropping my iPhone 6S Plus and going to a Moto Z Play or something. I still haven't made up my mind.
    Excellent info, thank you! Do you remember how long it took to port your number to GV?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Excellent info, thank you! Do you remember how long it took to port your number to GV?
    It takes right at 24 hours. Assuming the port information all gets entered properly, you can expect to see service drop off right at the 24-hour mark or shortly before. It seemed like it took a little while longer to be able to send and receive texts with everyone, but it eventually all got ironed out.

Feedback Score
    I ported my primary number to google voice about three years ago. Overall it's been a great experience. As mentioned already its very seem less on Android (as long as you use the Google voice app for automatic call redirection). Hangouts for as much as it's maligned works great for Google voice minus (approximately) eight hours of combined downtime over the past two years.

The native dialer works all the way through 7.1 as long as you install and configure the Google voice app. You can also use hangouts for VoIP.

I am an Android and iOS dev for my work so at any time I have four or five Android phones as well as three apple devices (covering all four service providers) Being able to have my primary number follow me around is great.

Also the Google voice spam call detection as well as the call group routing (you can send specific callers to voicemail time dependent) is also a great feature. As well as complete call blocking as needed (callers that are blocked get the standardized your number is not in service message).

While working being able to use hangouts in my laptop for texts/MMS/group texts is great as well.

They only drawback in my opinion? No hd voice (volte works aok).

Visual voicemail has gotten better as well with the speech to text voicemails as times gone on.

When I ported in it took about 72 hours for everything to work. Calls and outgoing texts took EXACTLY 24 hours (it's almost as though it was on a timer). Outgoing SMS/MMS was on that 24 hour level as well. It took almost the whole weekend for incoming SMS to work. I think it may have been (as silly as it seems) due to the fact that I originally ported over a weekend. YMMV.

I've been using google voice since the initial grand Central time as well. When you port in you can keep your existing number for $20. All incoming calls and texts still work. And you can swap as often as you like between your original number and your ported number. However that probably won't matter as much.

It allows me to not worry if I lose my harbor mobile T-Mobile line. And yes. Even in upstate NY I keep with T-Mobile as my primary.

One oddness is if you use Android wear you can't initiate a conversation over sms but you can easily reply to incoming messages.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    greski - great report - very informative. It appears you change the routing / forwarding of calls frequently depending on which phone you

are using, eh ?

Then, perhaps when not at work, you forward to your personal phone with Harbor T-mobile ? A wonderful plan for someone with

multiple #'s / phones. My young adult daughter uses GV for her business line & has said she likes to type her sms responses on a laptop

keyboard - same as you. I, so far, have used Hangouts on wifi / volte on my apple phone to supplement tracfone plan - I've not

done any forwarding of my phone number as that would defeat the purpose of preserving minutes on my plan. thanks again for your

post - very helpful.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again guys and a special thanks to Greski for the additional info.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    For me, the biggest drawbacks are the phone selection and the price for data. You can get data much cheaper with other carriers if you need it a lot. But for me, with insurance, I pay under $40 a month. Pro for me is that where I travel, either T-Mobile or Sprint has a strong signal. So I don't have any dead spots in coverage. Also, email response from customer care is very timely. Overall, it's been a positive experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    For me, the biggest drawbacks are the phone selection and the price for data. You can get data much cheaper with other carriers if you need it a lot. But for me, with insurance, I pay under $40 a month. Pro for me is that where I travel, either T-Mobile or Sprint has a strong signal. So I don't have any dead spots in coverage. Also, email response from customer care is very timely. Overall, it's been a positive experience.
    You're referring to Project Fi. This thread is about Google Voice - both Google products, but different.

Feedback Score
    I have never ported a number to Google Voice. But, I've been using Google Voice since 8/8/09 (over 7 years!) and for many years now it has been my primary number.

Long ago I even migrated family and close friends to exclusively calling/texting the GV number rather than my (originally AT&T and them moved to CallCentric VoIP) home number or my originally Verizon, then pagePlus, then TracFone cell number (a phone that now sits in a drawer because I'm instead forwarding GV to my free RingPlus cell). I love the ability to send calls to any device; to text and receive texts using my computer keyboard or any mobile device using an app and data; to get voicemails and texts via email, and to be able to respond, via voice, text or email, for free, anywhere in the world that I have a good data connection. I love me my GV...

Feedback Score
    I've used GV as my primary for several years as well. I thnk some of the best features are the flexibility and robustness of communication.

Lost your phone? No problem. Use your tablet, laptop or an old phone on WiFi till it turns up or you replace it. Never a lost text or totally missed phone call. You'll get all your texts and notice of any missed calls on your secondary device. Hangouts allows VoIP calls.

Swapping devices or carriers. Easy! All your texts will be synced on the new device and changing carriers is simply a matter of changing a forwarding number.

Traveling abroad? No problem use your phone or another device on WiFi or local LTE just as if you were home.

On a budget? No problem cancel your phone plan and have fully functional phone service whenever you are on WiFi. Or get a Freedompop GSM SIM with ~700mb free data service each month and expand that to full mobile text and MMS. Some users even report Hangouts VoIP on FreedomPop data works in some areas.

Feedback Score
    I've tried GV as a primary.. and there is lag. When someone calls me, there is a few seconds lag where on their end it is silent, even if I say "hello". So I have had to pause a couple seconds before it goes through on their side.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I've tried GV as a primary.. and there is lag. When someone calls me, there is a few seconds lag where on their end it is silent, even if I say "hello". So I have had to pause a couple seconds before it goes through on their side.
    Could be your telecom provider. I generally don't have lag on Google Voice. I've been using Google Voice since they were Grand Central, have several Google Voice numbers for various businesses and social circles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I have also experienced lag. I wonder if it is based on the carrier as the person above mentioned.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I've used a GV # almost exclusively since March, 2009. All the positives mentioned above are accurate. I have also NOT had any lag, so that could be a carrier issue, or possibly a very isolated issue with some GV #s.

I also had an old home # that certain family members used, but I finally ported it from AT&T to GV in December, 2015, and using a Obihai device, still use all of my old home phones just like that # was still with AT&T, and as a bonus, I have it set up so calls also come into my cell phone and tablet through Hangouts!

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast