Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Thread: Porting to Google Voice: Pros and Cons?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I love google voice, but it's failing for a family member. My relative switched from a landline phone to pre-paid, switching to a new Google Voice #. My relative lives in a gated community, and the gate simply will not be able to ring the Google Voice #.

So it looks like my relative cannot use GV for the gated community calls...and use the direct prepaid # instead. Shame there seems to be some sort of hangup from the gate PBX box to call her GV#.
    Do they have an actual number to go along with gv? I heard somebody mention something similar months ago, gv doesn't play nice with Uber either, even though I rarely use Uber, I refuse to risk transportation , not having a real cell number on a cell phone is just silly and negates any savings IMHO, now I do use gv for calling and texting, but knowing I have normal voice number just makes sense! (Yes there are people here that only have VoIP on a cellphone).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    I love google voice, but it's failing for a family member. My relative switched from a landline phone to pre-paid, switching to a new Google Voice #. My relative lives in a gated community, and the gate simply will not be able to ring the Google Voice #.

So it looks like my relative cannot use GV for the gated community calls...and use the direct prepaid # instead. Shame there seems to be some sort of hangup from the gate PBX box to call her GV#.
    Google numbers aren't actually recognized as cellphone numbers, they're only recognized as VoIP numbers and businesses and services treat them as such, unfortunately.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Question about Uber and GV. I've been signed-up for ages, but never actually used Uber; will be in a few days. My profile uses my GV number (so Uber apparently doesn't check upon account creation).

What will happen when I actually request a ride? Will it tell me there is a problem with the phone? Or will I sit and wait for the driver who never comes?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    Question about Uber and GV. I've been signed-up for ages, but never actually used Uber; will be in a few days. My profile uses my GV number (so Uber apparently doesn't check upon account creation).

What will happen when I actually request a ride? Will it tell me there is a problem with the phone? Or will I sit and wait for the driver who never comes?
    It's not signing up that's a problem, it's actually utilizing it (some people say their GV works with Uber simply because they signed up with it, toy can't convince them otherwise) , in my case I had to call the driver from my actual cell phone number, then uber sent a text to my phone that I verified, I don't remember exactly why, seems both technical and for safety reasons.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post

You're going to have to get your GV # approved through Uber support. It seems like everything is good when signing up with a GV #, but when you request a ride, the app will tell you the GV # is not valid.

You can read the whole thread, but http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post16853881 is a post where I describe what I did.

Feedback Score
    What do I need to do to make sure that when GV forwards a call to my native number and I do not answer my native number, then the call will be picked up by my GV voicemail?

Feedback Score
    Let's start with what happens now if you call your GV number from another phone and don't answer any forwarded phones? Be sure to enable GV voicemail and configure settings from your GV account first.

Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    What do I need to do to make sure that when GV forwards a call to my natuve number and I do not answer my native number, then the call will be picked up by my GV voicemail?
    Last edited by tfusr19; 08-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    What do I need to do to make sure that when GV forwards a call to my native number and I do not answer my native number, then the call will be picked up by my GV voicemail?
    Condiotinal call forwarding, not sure why you keep referring to "native" , a bit redundant, it's a given if you're forwarding.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I prefer to not use conditional call forwarding because I am on a limited prepaid plan and don't want to pay for someone to leave me a GV voicemail.

My unanswered calls still go to GV voicemail free of carrier charges.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Condiotinal call forwarding, not sure why you keep referring to "native" , a bit redundant, it's a given if you're forwarding.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    My phone conditional call forwarding when I call someone, but I have no idea what that means.

Feedback Score
    I see that message too, but my phones are configured to go to carrier voicemail - which is not activated. My unanswered calls still go to GV voicemail - just like I want them to.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-m...g-to-be-active :
    "What does it mean for conditional call forwarding to be active? :
    This means that some kind of call forwarding (diverting) is activated for your phone. The following Call forwards can be activated by the customer using his phone: CFU (Call Forwarding Unconditional) means that all incoming calls will be diverted to another number or a voicemail.
    "

My phone conditional call forwarding when I call someone, but I have no idea what that means.

Feedback Score
    Selecting "unconditional" does not work well with GV, an endless loop,I'm not sure what causes it.

Feedback Score
    Also see: https://support.google.com/voice/ans..._topic=1708439

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36