Thread: Who is still using Roam?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Who is still using Roam?

Are people abandoning Roam Mobility? When I looked this morning there were no new posts since September, and no new threads since May. It was previously more active than that.

It seems to me that Roam Like Home set of a round of improvements to U.S. roaming rates by Canadian carriers. Heck, even Public Mobile has got in on the action with some surprisingly decent options. For high-data users Roam Mobility is still better (data doesn't come out of your Canadian bucket like Roam Like Home, and isn't a measly amount like Bell's Roam Better). But is that a high proportion of Canadian travellers? And are people willing to put up with the cost to unlock their phone, the inconvenience (and cost, in the case of unlocking) of having to deal with a different SIM, and the potential challenges of having a U.S. number (and the potential extra costs to your contacts to phone/text a U.S. number) just for a little more data? And while T-Mobile's network has improved vastly in the last year, having access to both AT&T and T-Mobile is better than having access to either one of them (and most Canadian carriers give you access to both of them when roaming). And the 6 month expiry is a huge drag for those of us who typically make annual trips.

For me, my next trip to the U.S. probably will not use Roam. If so, it'll be the first time in years that I don't use them. For all their downsides, their upside was huge when they were $3.95 a day. At $4.95 a day it's uncomfortably close in cost to Roam Like Home. When I travel I'm often in WiFi at the hotel and/or the conference centre I'm at, and I'm pretty busy when there, so my data use when travelling is not substantially higher than when I'm in Canada. I like Roam, I like the idea of using them since they're a scrappy independent who rolled out an innovative idea, and with a dual-SIM phone Roam is super convenient (as you can continue to receive call notifications and texts on your Canadian SIM, but reply to them with your Roam Mobility SIM).

So what about all of you? Still using Roam? Or did you leave it behind? If you left Roam, what did you leave them for?
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Feedback Score
    Roam originally went after "snowbirds" market - people who spend good chunk of time in the USA. But they never really offered a true North American solution - one affordable plan that's equally good in both Canada and the USA, without restrictions. Today's American market offers plenty of such option - T-Mobile, XL Verizon plans, business plans of Truphone.

I looked into the latter matter. Currently I have T-Mobile One bought via 4G Antenna Shop - per them, with a business account T-Mobile shouldn't shut you down for at least a year, and if you show up periodically in the USA, you should be fine. Some of my family have a 66 country business plan with Truphone - they as well don't have any issues with customers spending significant periods of time in Canada, though data in most places is limited to 3G. If you aren't heavy user or a data hog - their pricing is even competitive with Canadian carriers (somewhat higher). Before we had Verizon North America choice - for about a decade they kept extending our contracts and never said a word, even though 80% of shared use was totally within Canada.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I stopped using Roam Mobility when my Liberty Hotspot device didn't work in Las Vegas. Switched to a corporate shared plan (from a corporate plan that didn't let me use Easy Roam) so that I can use Easy Roam with Telus. Sold the Liberty Hotspot device (girl said it worked when she used it) and still have the credit with Roam Mobility (from it not working in Las Vegas) and haven't looked back.
    I can be in Canada/US and use in Canada/US for $75 taxes in. Thank god I'm on a corporate plan.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gong_8 View Post
    I stopped using Roam Mobility when my Liberty Hotspot device didn't work in Las Vegas. Switched to a corporate shared plan (from a corporate plan that didn't let me use Easy Roam) so that I can use Easy Roam with Telus. Sold the Liberty Hotspot device (girl said it worked when she used it) and still have the credit with Roam Mobility (from it not working in Las Vegas) and haven't looked back.
    Interestingly, I too had problems a couple of years back in Vegas with Roam Mobility. Full signal, but intermittent data. To this day I'm not sure if it was a problem with the settings on the phone, network congestion, or what. The fact that it did work sometimes suggests to me it was congestion, but there's no way to be sure. T-Mobile has rolled out more spectrum in Vegas since then, and I'll find out starting tomorrow night how it performs. Voice and text were rock-solidly reliable on Roam Mobility every trip I've made to Vegas.

Device(s)
    X10, 32A
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers /
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Interestingly, I too had problems a couple of years back in Vegas with Roam Mobility. Full signal, but intermittent data. To this day I'm not sure if it was a problem with the settings on the phone, network congestion, or what. The fact that it did work sometimes suggests to me it was congestion, but there's no way to be sure. T-Mobile has rolled out more spectrum in Vegas since then, and I'll find out starting tomorrow night how it performs. Voice and text were rock-solidly reliable on Roam Mobility every trip I've made to Vegas.
    Just back from NYE in Vegas. Over a 2-night stay - Voice & Text worked well, Data worked some 20% of the time. Shows LTE (or 4G) most times but no connectivity. Resorted to public wi-fi a lot.

I should have tried switching to my T-Mobile SIM to compare. Too busy having fun though.