Thread: Would be nice if P-Fi would allow iPhone

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Jet Black in product red battery case
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless "$25 /30-day plan", Page Plus "standard plan"
    Feedback Score

Would be nice if P-Fi would allow iPhone

Would be nice if P-Fi would allow iPhone (6s or 7) ..... and just let us "manually" choose which carrier we want to use.

Honestly..... I think Google is over thinking this service, with the automatic switching.

Feedback Score
    The way the baseband is locked down even on a jailbroken iPhone, I don't see it happening without Apple supporting the features. Unofficial work to make it happen would be quickly blocked as carriers get very unhappy when people mess with their networks.

Sent from my Pixel using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    It could be something they are working on. Before, my OnePlus phone wouldn't read my Fi sim card, but now it does and works perfectly fine. Who knows what the future will hold.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    it would be nice if Google would manufacture enough Pixel 128 GB Phones so we wouldn't need to look for alternatives, although maybe some would prefer iPhone anyway. I am done with Apple due to their battery problems.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by epete View Post
    it would be nice if Google would manufacture enough Pixel 128 GB Phones so we wouldn't need to look for alternatives, although maybe some would prefer iPhone anyway. I am done with Apple due to their battery problems.
    My iPhone 7 now shows my registered FI number rather than the hidden underlying number for iMessages. I have an Axon 7 as well and would dearly love Google to support one high end dual SIM phone. I bought the Fi SIM for international wandering and this would make it the perfect phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The real story is it would be nice if Apple configured their iPhones so they could be used on Google Fi.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    The real story is it would be nice if Apple configured their iPhones so they could be used on Google Fi.
    Maybe they're working on their own Fi competitor that combines AT&T with Verizon?

Feedback Score
    I've been using Project Fi for a few weeks via my iPhone (after activating it on pixel). It's an easy test for me because no one really uses my actual iPhone number anyway. I've always used Google Voice/Hangouts even on an iPhone for MMS/SMS/calls so it was a pretty seamless transition.

A few thoughts:
    * Never was able to receive native MMS (via Messages). I got it to send using the T-mobile MMSC but never receive.
    * Native SMS works (via Messages) but it aways appends strange text at the end of every message. I looked it up later and found it was just deduplication code that Google uses to prevent duplicate SMSes.
    * Domestic can be an issue. It's limited to T-mobile network because:
    #1. You are issued a t-mo number.
    #2. The way it interacts with Sprint and U.S. Cellular is not the traditional roaming way. It looks like (from attempting to reverse engineer code) that pixel/nexus phones establish a virtual presence on those networks and you are issued a temporary sprint or USC number so you can make/receive calls/data/text. That is all funneled through the t-mo #. Seems like this part is frequently glitchy (as Google seems to not have that down yet) even on Nexus/Pixel as SMS/MMS doesn't always reliably work from Sprint/USC.
    * Because of the above, you might have coverage issues just being on T-mo network which (while improving) would still suck in many rural areas.
    * I was able to make and receive calls through the native Apple dialer (via the Project Fi number) fine.
    * It works great internationally... probably even better than the pixel / nexus phones in certain areas due to the wide range of bands the iPhone supports.

I currently have Verizon (with UDP) and if the price point was lower, I'd consider using Fi with my iPhone. However, due to T-mobile's coverage issue domestically + price, I'll stick with Verizon until my contract runs out. I will use the Fi data SIM in the iPhone when overseas though .

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Maybe they're working on their own Fi competitor that combines AT&T with Verizon?
    Just read today that Apple and Comcast are teaming up to create a cell plan that uses Xfinity WiFi and uses Verizon if no WiFi is available. That will certainly be competition with Fi if true.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Just read today that Apple and Comcast are teaming up to create a cell plan that uses Xfinity WiFi and uses Verizon if no WiFi is available. That will certainly be competition with Fi if true.
    I can't see that as a competitor for Fi. My guess is that pricing will be in the range of, if not higher, than standard Verizon Postpaid pricing.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You gotta love the competition, though. Between postpaid and prepaid plans constantly underpricing their rivals, the consumer is benefiting with lower prices for more data. I use my phone as a phone so my data needs are minimal, giving me many choices.