View Poll Results: Who did you switch to PM's from?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rogers

    6 18.18%
  • Fido

    1 3.03%
  • Chatr

    2 6.06%
  • Telus

    1 3.03%
  • Koodo (non-SK/MB)

    2 6.06%
  • Koodo (SK/MB plan)

    4 12.12%
  • Bell

    3 9.09%
  • Virgin

    0 0%
  • Wind

    16 48.48%
  • Other (please specify in a post!)

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: If you recently switched to Public's new promo, who did you switch from?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0

    If you recently switched to Public's new promo, who did you switch from?

    The name says it all. Did you switch to Public Mobile during the recent promo? If so, from whom? Vote in the poll, and if you think you have a more-interesting-than-average story about your switch, or why you did it, let's hear it.

    I think I may have a slightly more interesting story than average. After 18.5 years on Fido/Rogers, I signed up for the Public Mobile promo. However, I haven't entirely left the nest yet: I have a dual-SIM phone (Lumia 950 XL) and am using my Rogers SIM and my new Public Mobile service simultaneously, while I test the respective services and debate about which to keep. It would be easy if not for two considerations:

    - though rare, sometimes Public Mobile users have problems, and resolving them can take up to 48 hours, and in rare cases longer

    - I'm content with Public Mobile's new U.S. roaming options so losing Roam Like Home is no problem, but I'm not quite at peace yet with losing some of Rogers' advanced calling features such as Rogers One Number (which if I give up, I can't get again), voice-to-text, and Name Display. All three are very useful to me. Well, I have a total of 90 days to decide I suppose!
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0
    Moved from Koodo $48 loophole to this. I don't use up my data from the Koodo loophole so this was the better option for me. Also, I don't want to risk my account being audited. I know the word "audit" is a sensitive word here due to the fact that nobody reported that they got audited, but to me, it's still a risk. It's only been a week since they closed the loophole, how do I know if they'll do more? So I played it safe and saved money by going with PM. Service has been on par with Koodo so far, no complaints!
    Last edited by Goodbye6; 11-23-2016 at 04:03 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    363
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was paying $35 on Wind for 5GB, provincial calling, CAN/US texting, and no voicemail. The Public plan was pretty much an upgrade (canada-wide coverage, LTE, voicemail, global texting) and I never go over 2GB /month anyways. So far I have already accumulated $18 in credits to use towards my next renewal and I've only been with Public for 3 weeks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    0
    I switched from my wind holiday miracle plan 40 a month I got 5 years ago. I lose Canada wide/us calling, world saver rates and 1gb of data but realistically I never needed Canada wide/us or world saver and the 5gb at wind was useless since it was so slow you could never do anything with it anyways. The only downfall was I decided to be a genius and get a brand new galaxy s6 in March since I said I would stay with wind because there service should get better... Well that never happened and I bit the bullet and paid my remaining tab of 200 plus the 289 I paid upfront when I got the phone... So I essentially paid 490 for a new galaxy s6, all things considered still not bad but lesson learned

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0
    I switched over from the Koodo $48 MB/SK plan. Reason for me switching was that the Public Mobile plan was $10 cheaper with auto pay on, I also only use about 3GB so it made sense for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DesiMundha View Post
    I switched over from the Koodo $48 MB/SK plan. Reason for me switching was that the Public Mobile plan was $10 cheaper with auto pay on, I also only use about 3GB so it made sense for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If your are not over the data and mostly use the phone in province, PM is best deal in Ontario.
    I like the pre-paid concept and lots of reasonable priced add-ons.
    I also changed from Koodo, so I can save $10 with same(for me) service.

    And I don't know why but my call quality is better than koodo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    I switched from Wind, Back-to-School plan ?, $29 with 5GB etc. It was good enough for me, except some hit and miss on the data connection. This switch means I pay slightly more but that have the reliable data connection and wide rage of choices of LTE phones.

    I was a bit nervous about this no-store-front business model but how they handled when my SIM was lost in the mail convinced me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ulovebass View Post
    If your are not over the data and mostly use the phone in province, PM is best deal in Ontario.
    I like the pre-paid concept and lots of reasonable priced add-ons.
    I also changed from Koodo, so I can save $10 with same(for me) service.

    And I don't know why but my call quality is better than koodo.
    It's likely a state of mind that Koodo offers better voice quality. Lower price = lower quality.

    Sent from my FIND7 using HowardForums

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    It's likely a state of mind that Koodo offers better voice quality. Lower price = lower quality.
    He said his "call quality is better than koodo", apparently suggesting for mysterious reasons he believes his Public Mobile call quality seems superior.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    He said his "call quality is better than koodo", apparently suggesting for mysterious reasons he believes his Public Mobile call quality seems superior.
    Shoot, my most humble apology. I need a better pair of glasses.

    Sent from my FIND7 using HowardForums

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought I would be nice to Wind and not officially register my vote. Most who frequent this site knows anyway. Reading the latest discussions on the Wind forum about Freedom Mobile and what is in store for the long term customers, it is important to keep an accurate registry of where all the discontent comes from. So, I hope Freedom has hired hands looking through these forums to learn from their mistakes. Although Freedom represent an insignificant proportion of the wireless customer base in Canada, around half of the discontent comes from the old Wind customers. This is not a flattering statistic.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    I thought I would be nice to Wind and not officially register my vote. Most who frequent this site knows anyway. Reading the latest discussions on the Wind forum about Freedom Mobile and what is in store for the long term customers, it is important to keep an accurate registry of where all the discontent comes from. So, I hope Freedom has hired hands looking through these forums to learn from their mistakes. Although Freedom represent an insignificant proportion of the wireless customer base in Canada, around half of the discontent comes from the old Wind customers. This is not a flattering statistic.
    Despite you not officially registering your vote, at the time I'm writing this Wind is at 54% of those who have voted. Ouch. I didn't expect it to be that high. It's not a scientific poll, but very interesting (and possibly very telling) nonetheless.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    93
    Feedback Score
    0
    I swtiched from the Mobilicity converted to Chatr account. I was originally paying $40 for the province wide with the premium data plan with mobilicity, but they only offered me the $50 NA and 20GB data plan with chatr. I don't go anywhere near 20GB and was only using it with mobilicity so I wasn't capped at 2Mbit/s. If they had offered me a comparable plan at the $40 price point or the $30 plan that I would have been offered if I didn't have premium data, I would have had a hard time switching.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Despite you not officially registering your vote, at the time I'm writing this Wind is at 54% of those who have voted. Ouch. I didn't expect it to be that high. It's not a scientific poll, but very interesting (and possibly very telling) nonetheless.
    I officially voted to add the Wind total.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    I officially voted to add the Wind total.
    Approximately 50% from Wind, approx. 30% from people on Rogers' network, and approx. 20% from Bellus. Interesting results indeed. More Wind than I might have guessed, but I guess getting a credible offer on a big-3 network at Wind-like prices was too much for many on Wind/Freedom to resist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (done) Switching to public mobile, pm me if you want some of my leftover wind credit
    By andrewbrown1 in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2016, 03:18 AM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
  3. switching to family share, & new phones, long question
    By MitchellF in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:50 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 05:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks