Thread: Home router custom firmware

Feedback Score

Home router custom firmware

Hi, I am in search of good custom frimware for this dsl home router . dd wrt is preferable for me Acanac is my ISP.
    Thanks advance
    Be the change that you need to see in this world

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Not sure you'll find it. That router is a combination DSL modem and WiFi router in one unit. Easiest thing to do would be to turn off the WiFi and attach a WiFi router like a WRT54G.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Not sure you'll find it. That router is a combination DSL modem and WiFi router in one unit. Easiest thing to do would be to turn off the WiFi and attach a WiFi router like a WRT54G.
    Agree with above. What you need to do is decide what firmware you want (such as DD-WRT, Gargoyle, OpenWRT, etc) then find a router that supports it. If you're not comfortable with command prompt/terminal, you might even want to go into their respective forums and ask what the best forum is that is easy to install the firmware on. Not all of them are just an upgrade file to convert.

Personally I use discontinued Western Digital My Net N600 (or N750) routers to use on Gargoyle and couldn't be happier. OpenWRT also works on them.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingroot View Post
    Hi, I am in search of good custom frimware for this dsl home router . dd wrt is preferable for me Acanac is my ISP.
    Thanks advance
    I have been using DD-WRT for years. It works well. That said it can be confusing to find what is up to date to use. Who knows if there is a firmware for that particular DSL router. You just have to check around, and the alternatives from OpenWRT, Gargoyle, Tomato, etc. As others said, you may have to turn off the wifi section of the DSL router and hook up a second compatible wifi router. There are some pretty inexpensive routers that will run DD-WRT, etc. I got several from my Goodwill for $5 each, but that is not something that is always there.

My Buffalo router came with DD-WRT installed as its regular firmware. It also has USB which is great to run a simple NAS on my home network.

I love the feature in DD-WRT to restart every period of time. I set it to restart every morning at 4 am. My ISP is not very reliable, this clears up any accumulated mess. Who knows, it may not be my ISP. It could be hackers messing with it. Either way, restarting clears up the comm problems.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    This has what to do with Project Fi?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    This has what to do with Project Fi?
    Haha, good point. Sometimes I don't notice the forum before I reply.