Thread: Project Fi Using AT&T's Network?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Project Fi Using AT&T's Network?

My Nexus 5X had a battery issue and needed to be replaced. Even though it didn't work in the past, I decided to see what would happen if I put my Fi sim in my OnePlus 2 phone. When I did, everything worked fine, including hotspot. But what I wasn't expecting was to go to the settings and see an option for AT&T 4G service. Has anyone else seen this before?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I remember that page, it's just a list of providers that your phone recognizes based on the bands that phone has access to. It just happens to show that you are in an area where T-Mobile and AT&T have service.

I know that a Project Fi data SIM card will only use T-Mobile. The actual Project Fi SIM should be the same, but not 100% positive.

Access to AT&T is only supposed to be available if T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular don't have service there, and then only if T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with AT&T.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I think that the USCC roaming agreement will allow roaming on Verizon, but only for 3G. I always thought the T-Mobile map I saw was their prepaid map, with no roaming allowed on AT&T. Interesting none the less.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, all carrier roaming agreements are supposed to be in place, at the speeds negotiated by that carrier. However, speaking from personal experience, I've noticed that if one carrier is supposed to have service, you usually can't manually switch to another carrier if that means roaming. A couple places where I've tried just timed out then a few minutes later went back to the one working carrier.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've roamed on AT&T several times in Vermont where T-Mobile roams on AT&T. I got HSPA+.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I saw our Fi phone roaming Verizon last Monday. We were driving through very rural farmland, north of Pensacola, Fla.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    I have roamed on AT&T via the T-Mobile profile. Yes it roams at HSPA+, but it's throttled to 128kbps.
    --
    CellGuru