Hybrid View

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

New tower going up

Actually three new towers.

Construction on the sites for two of them have started already. Very exciting for those of us who have been struggling with dropped calls and slow/no data for as long as we can remember.

The one closest to me is just south of highway 201 about a mile and a half east of the highway 75/201 junction. They started building the road into the site a couple of weeks ago.

They are saying it should be good to go in January/February.

The other one is up west of Morris somewhere and the third is supposedly in around the Aubigny area.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    I had heard the contract for the one near Morris was already signed. Basically as expected, these deployments had nothing to do with Bell taking over and certainly aren't a benefit of the deal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Almost a month ago there was a tower put up in Brandon at 18th St N & Braecrest. A lot of people were complaining that the tower was "blocking Rogers" connections, but in reality, the tower wasn't even active - that part of Brandon is very underserved as the closest tower is from downtown Brandon. Having a tower trying to send signals above its range is a bit of a challenge, so people who are passing right on through Brandon on Trans Canada will have degraded services, until the 18th St N tower is active, that will help the north end of Brandon a good deal
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This new one here is going on my friend's land. The site is all marked out now and apparently it's going up in June.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    More delays have occurred which doesn't surprise me. But the concrete piles are in now, hydro has run their power lines and put a transformer on the pole and Bell/MTS has their fiber lines hooked up and just sticking out of the ground.

The tower pieces started arriving on Friday. Apparently it's going up this week.

Still curious to see if Rogers will have access to this thing. If not, I think I'd switch to Telus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    MTS' new tower in north end of Brandon seems to be live now (works for Rogers customers, so no, the network agreement is still in place), whenever I'm near there, I'm used to going from near EDGE/1-2 bar 3G, now it's getting quite a bit better. Speed test I did the other day:

Name:  IMG_5146.PNG
Views: 258
Size:  481.1 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Tower is up now, gonna have to wait and see how long it takes for them to install all the necessary antennas and such.

Rumors are flying around here too. Some saying only Bell/MTS phones will work on it. Others are saying that Rogers will work off it but will not have access to LTE. One guy said Bell phones will work but Telus won't. Another guy said Bell and Rogers will have advanced LTE but Telus won't.

Kind of interesting.

Either way I'm looking forward to getting rid of all the boosters I have kicking around. Coverage still sucks in most of MB so they should move quick.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Tower must be complete now. All the fencing around the site is gone, hydro has installed their line and transformer, looks like all the antennas are on top, everything looks cleaned up.

Just waiting now for them to throw the "on" switch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    Tower must be complete now. All the fencing around the site is gone, hydro has installed their line and transformer, looks like all the antennas are on top, everything looks cleaned up.

Just waiting now for them to throw the "on" switch.
    Keep us posted to see who has access to the tower once it's online! Definitely an interesting situation in Manitoba right now with what seems to be one giant network for all carriers.

Glad to hear you're getting improved coverage none-the-less!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sure taking their sweet time. There's 2-3 trucks or vans parked at that thing every day for 8 hours a day and still nothing.

Saw full LTE coverage for about an hour over a week ago and able to pull speed tests of around 95 mbps down while it was on which was kind of neat. But then it all went away.

Every day I go out hoping "maybe today will be the day". Haha.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sure taking their sweet time. There's 2-3 trucks or vans parked at that thing every day for 8 hours a day and still nothing.

Saw full LTE coverage for about an hour over a week ago and able to pull speed tests of around 95 mbps down while it was on which was kind of neat. But then it all went away.

Every day I go out hoping "maybe today will be the day". Haha.
    That reminds me of when they were rolling out 3G back in 2010-2011. On Rogers my phone would go from EDGE to 3G at completely random times, it was nice to be able to use data at the family farm when it was usually No Service otherwise.

It's crazy to think that 3G was amazing and fast back in the day.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sure frustrating on a day like today, 2 miles from the new tower, can see it standing there all pompous and I drop 3 calls with the parts department at the dealership looking for a height switch for the NH3 system on our air drill...

Turn it on already! Haha.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

New tower going up

Sure frustrating on a day like today, 2 miles from the new tower, can see it standing there all pompous and I drop 3 calls with the parts department at the dealership looking for a height switch for the NH3 system on our air drill...

Turn it on already! Haha.
    Do you have any pictures of the tower? I’m curious to see which bands they are rolling out on new builds up that way. I’m sure someone could identify them on here in an instant with decent pictures.

Is this a Telus owned tower or a Bell MTS site?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Bell MTS site.

Next time I'm driving by I'll take some pictures if I remember your request. Should be going by there tomorrow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sorry I haven't gotten any pictures yet, pretty much every time I've been by there over the last week it's been dark out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast