Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: New Verizon Site Going Up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    Thanks for the link! It looks like they are wanting to install 3 small cells, at least according to that meeting: https://filesource.wvc-ut.gov/sirepu...doctype=AGENDA

Great detective work, thank you.
    I have found small cell permits in several cities in Utah. I have been amazed that Verizon hasn't stopped building cell sites in the last three years with more to come. Also I have noticed in the last three months that they are upgrading older macro cell sites with new and longer antennas with three RRUs per antenna. Next year Verizon network is going to be stronger and faster than any network.

Sent from my SM-G925V using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's exactly the case and why I find it funny on the T-Mobile side that there is this perception by some that T-Mobile's B12 expansion means they're rapidly catching up to Verizon when both Verizon and AT&T haven't ever stopped upgrading and building new sites.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When I searched my local town the other day for Verizon building permits, I found 2 permits for small cells, about 3/4 of a mile apart from each other, along the main road through town, 1 to put up a site on a building on the north end of town, about 1 mile from the macro site used to cover town, and another to update the site on the east side of town. They are getting serious with those small cells, as they need to be. They've had some serious capacity issues in my area for a while. My T-Mobile phone would usually pull anywhere from 30-80 Mbps in most parts of town, Verizon would struggle to hit 5 Mbps during the day.

Feedback Score
    When I searched my local town the other day for Verizon building permits, I found 2 permits for small cells, about 3/4 of a mile apart from each other, along the main road through town, 1 to put up a site on a building on the north end of town, about 1 mile from the macro site used to cover town, and another to update the site on the east side of town. They are getting serious with those small cells, as they need to be. They've had some serious capacity issues in my area for a while. My T-Mobile phone would usually pull anywhere from 30-80 Mbps in most parts of town, Verizon would struggle to hit 5 Mbps during the day.
    I have read that a small cell covers about 500 square feet radius. Here's an example of small cell I have seen in my area.

Feedback Score
    That's great to hear. You think these sites will fix their capacity issues ?

Feedback Score

New Verizon Site Going Up

Quote Originally Posted by charles2001 View Post
    I have found small cell permits in several cities in Utah. I have been amazed that Verizon hasn't stopped building cell sites in the last three years with more to come. Also I have noticed in the last three months that they are upgrading older macro cell sites with new and longer antennas with three RRUs per antenna. Next year Verizon network is going to be stronger and faster than any network.

That's what they are doing here near NYC. Constantly adding new macros and small cells. Their cell density is extremely tight now and will only get better.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Same here. Verizon is killing it in Louisville. Over 30 new macro sites in the last 3 years. It's incredible. The red/light red pegs are macro sites. The green pegs are sites under construction. Blue pins are future sites. The red dots are small cells. The yellow dots are small cells under construction.

All the new sites no longer have the building, but have the sheltered cabinets like in the OP's post. Band 5 is already active on a handful of them. Loving all the new VZW sites! (right click/view image for larger map)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Same here. Verizon is killing it in Louisville. Over 30 new macro sites in the last 3 years. It's incredible. The red/light red pegs are macro sites. The green pegs are sites under construction. Blue pins are future sites. The red dots are small cells. The yellow dots are small cells under construction.

All the new sites no longer have the building, but have the sheltered cabinets like in the OP's post. Band 5 is already active on a handful of them. Loving all the new VZW sites! (right click/view image for larger map)

Wow!! That's incredible density. What kind of speeds do you see? I don't think you have 20x20 aws

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Wow!! That's incredible density. What kind of speeds do you see? I don't think you have 20x20 aws
    Correct, no 20x20. Right now in Louisville proper there's:
    10x10 B13
    10x10 B4
    10x10 B4
    5x5 B5 (just started popping up on a few sites)

Most of the time I am on 2CA B4/13 for a max speed of ~150mps. Basically anywhere outside I can pull 40-50mbps+. Sitting in the sites sweet spot (-60 to -75 dB) I can easily pass 100-110mbps. Not bad for CA.

Most of the small cells have both B13 and B4, and of those, 90% have 2CA active. Several of the oldest small cells (2013-2014) are B4 only.

In Oldham county (not pictured...to the NE of Louisville) they've deployed a 5 MHz carrier of B2 and have that set up with 3CA B13/4/2.

I haven't seen any 3CA B13/4/5 in Louisville proper yet, but I bet it's coming. I find it interesting Verizon has not deployed any B2 LTE in Louisville but has instead gone with B5 even though the spectrum holdings are identical to Oldham county.

Feedback Score
    Correct, no 20x20. Right now in Louisville proper there's:
    10x10 B13
    10x10 B4
    10x10 B4
    5x5 B5 (just started popping up on a few sites)

Most of the time I am on 2CA B4/13 for a max speed of ~150mps. Basically anywhere outside I can pull 40-50mbps+. Sitting in the sites sweet spot (-60 to -75 dB) I can easily pass 100-110mbps. Not bad for CA.

Most of the small cells have both B13 and B4, and of those, 90% have 2CA active. Several of the oldest small cells (2013-2014) are B4 only.

In Oldham county (not pictured...to the NE of Louisville) they've deployed a 5 MHz carrier of B2 and have that set up with 3CA B13/4/2.

I haven't seen any 3CA B13/4/5 in Louisville proper yet, but I bet it's coming. I find it interesting Verizon has not deployed any B2 LTE in Louisville but has instead gone with B5 even though the spectrum holdings are identical to Oldham county.
    That's Awesome. So two seperate 10x10 channels of band 4? It sounds like they have enough spectrum in your market. Regardless density can always overcome spectrum issues in markets where it's lacking. I've seen a carrier with less spectrum beat the carrier with more spectrum and less density. T-Mobile does it to At&t quite often around here.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    That's Awesome. So two seperate 10x10 channels of band 4? It sounds like they have enough spectrum in your market. Regardless density can always overcome spectrum issues in markets where it's lacking. I've seen a carrier with less spectrum beat the carrier with more spectrum and less density. T-Mobile does it to At&t quite often around here.
    Yep- our 40 MHz of AWS spectrum is not contiguous. It's in 2 separate blocks. T-Mobile has been pretty active here too. They recently started lighting up B12 around the metro. They can't match VZW's speed, but I think they're easily the second-quickest around the metro area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I hope this area looks like that a couple years from now, I know you guys got a 1-2 year head start on the crazy densification project than us, though they've really been densifying here since the original LTE build out in 2010-11.
    Just in the last two months I've seen two problem areas get fixed, and them adding to the mall DAS. There's one new site going up 1 mile from my house, and a new water tower site planned to go up about 6 miles from here. There's 3-4 metrocells by me that I know of too. Up in Chicago on the north side it looks like they've been going crazy too, I had very strong signal everywhere I went. Really the only weak place for me anymore is at work near south loop.

Meanwhile AT&T has been sitting on their a$$, perfectly ok with constant LTE drops in my area.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I hope this area looks like that a couple years from now, I know you guys got a 1-2 year head start on the crazy densification project than us, though they've really been densifying here since the original LTE build out in 2010-11.
    Just in the last two months I've seen two problem areas get fixed, and them adding to the mall DAS. There's one new site going up 1 mile from my house, and a new water tower site planned to go up about 6 miles from here. There's 3-4 metrocells by me that I know of too. Up in Chicago on the north side it looks like they've been going crazy too, I had very strong signal everywhere I went. Really the only weak place for me anymore is at work near south loop.

Meanwhile AT&T has been sitting on their a$$, perfectly ok with constant LTE drops in my area.
    Yep. It was like 2012 when Verizon started ramping up densification here. They started building and colocating right as they started deploying B4.

I am glad to hear they're just as active there as they have been here. I have never had a service issue in your neck of the woods.

I am still clenching onto my unlimited plan and really can't see going anywhere else.

Feedback Score
    Verizon just added a new macro by my brother in Lebanon NJ. I use to drop to 3G in his basement and now it holds 3 bars LTE. Speeds are night and day from what it use to be. At&t works well also but falls to hspa in the basement.

Feedback Score
    Yep. It was like 2012 when Verizon started ramping up densification here. They started building and colocating right as they started deploying B4.

I am glad to hear they're just as active there as they have been here. I have never had a service issue in your neck of the woods.

I am still clenching onto my unlimited plan and really can't see going anywhere else.
    Based on that density I bet they smoke At&t there

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast