Thread: Poor performance in India

Feedback Score

Poor performance in India

Recently had the chance to try Fi in Bangalore India, Toronto Canada and Abu Dhabi UAE. Toronto and Abu Dhabi worked perfectly, however service was absolutely terrible in Bangalore. The phone connected to Vodafone India but requests would frequently time out and even if the web pages loaded it would be super super slow. I tried registering on another network (Airtel, Tata DoCoMo etc.) but none of the other networks would allow me to register on them.

Any ideas on what is happening with Fi in India?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Did you run any speed tests?
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I could not even connect sometimes, it would just timeout so speed tests were out of the question. The one time I was able to do a speed time it was really poor, 2G speeds in Kbps. Speeds in UAE and Canada were LTE quality so I am thinking something to do with Fi and Vodafone in India. Several other people have been having the same issues on the Reddit forum.

As a note, data in India is DIRT cheap, 1GB including SIM card for $5 valid for 30 days so using Fi in India is sort of pointless but I was just curious why it does not work.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK, except where there is a "Three" signal, Fi is roaming on T-Mobile's agreements. It was my understand (and this can be wrong) that the connections were limited to 128 kbps. I have not traveled with our Fi line, so I'm not sure about that.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Virtually all roaming countries were capped raight at 109-112kbps. In the last few months some know give you faster speeds. Even during the times were we capped - never had a problem with connections. Maps worked well. Even some audio. Only problem, at times, was Croatia about 18 months ago. (Data/text/voice was fine - mas were sketchy.)
    Whoops - need to mention we are TM users. Fi uses TM's roaming agreements AFAIK. Would try Fi - but don't want to use the Google phone.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about the speed but what about accessibility? Are certain websites or apps blocked or is everything accessible?

Feedback Score
    I used the Project FI with Nexus 6 in Mumbai. And it worked very well in Bandra, Santacruz and airport. Voice and data were of excellent quality. Data with local SIM is cheap but it is not possible to buy the local SIM in your name. Someone local needs to buy the SIM

Feedback Score
    Hindolam, that's not correct. I have been to India many times and have always acquired a local airtel sim without issues. You just need to provide passport copies, photographs and your hotel address. Cell phone numbers in India are tracked so it's not possible to anonymously acquire the sim but if you provide your details it's not an issue.

As for blocking, I did not find anything blocked EXCEPT VoIP to Indian numbers is blocked it if originates from an Indian network. Which means you cannot use a local SIM to make data calls over cellular using the Hangouts dialer. This is mentioned on Fi if you see the note beside India.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I should have said it is not straight forward to get a local SIM. This new policy I think started after 1998 Mumbai incident. Nothing is blocked. Since data is available everywhere, it is always very easy to use WhatsApp for calls as well. And almost everybody uses WhatsApp.