Thread: Moto e power button/rebooting problem

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Moto e power button/rebooting problem

Hi;
    I have a 1-1/2yr old Moto e from Tracfone. Within the past 3 months, the frequency of spontaneous reboots has increased to a point where the phone is becoming more of a nusiance than it is useful.
    I have read about a problem with the power button causing the reboot problem, but apparently Motorola hasn't acknowledged this yet.

My phone is running Android 4.4.4. The build number listed at the very end of the "about phone" is KXC21:5-40
    Android info:
    version 4.4.4, Kernel version: 3.4.42.g6bc7ff3

System version: 21.12.40.condor_tracfone.trac_cdma.en.US tracfone

I have had a protector case around the phone since I bought it, and thinking that something external could be hitting the power button, or making it stick, I removed the case. I don't expect this to do anything, so my next step is to open the phone and see if I can fix the power button. If that fails, then I guess it's time for a new phone. That is very disappointing, considering this phone isn't even 2 years old. Otherwise, I really like this phone. But considering the trouble I am having with this one, I wouldn't buy another Moto e, and maybe not another Motorola.

So, what are your experiences with the Moto e?

FW

Feedback Score
    I bought the Tracfone Moto e also, it is now about 7 months old.
    I chose it to replace my 2G phone and it was inexpensive.
    I don't need/use all the functions that some people require of their phones.
    I checked my "about phone" data and it is exactly the same as what you have posted.

I'm very happy with it and so far, have not had any problems with it.
    The only things I don't like is the amount of storage and not having a home button.
    I would expect that the power button will eventually give out since you use it to wake up the phone.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have read that there are work-arounds for the power button problem, but at least one of them requires a custom ROM, and I am not going to try that. This phone can't even be rooted, and that sucks.
    I didn't have any trouble with this phone until it was about 1yr old, and now it has been getting worse every day. It just rebooted a few seconds ago when I was trying to wake it up.
    I am going to try fixing the power button myself, but I don't have all that much hope. The switch itself probably needs to be replaced, and I don't expect to be able to install that part myself (if I could even buy it), because I do not have SMT soldering tools.

So I suppose I will have to replace the phone. Probably not another Motorola, and absolutely not another Moto e.
    Good luck with your phone. I will be interested to know how it is working for you after another six months.

BTW; you said no "home" button. The middle "button" on the bottom of the screen (which kind of looks like a home) is the home button. It will take you back to the home screen. It's not an actual button - just an icon on the screen.

FW

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    BTW; you said no "home" button. The middle "button" on the bottom of the screen (which kind of looks like a home) is the home button. It will take you back to the home screen. It's not an actual button - just an icon on the screen.
    FW
    By "home button", I meant an actual physical button that wakes up the phone.
    My old LG has one.
    It is a feature that got phased out, like LED notifications.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    OK. I see what you mean. It would be nice, especially if you are in full-screen mode with YouTube or another app. It is sometimes difficult to get to the Home icon.