Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile’s Ray: We’ll match Verizon’s LTE coverage this year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "Cnet noted that T-Mobile currently covers 311 million people with LTE, which is just a few million away from what Verizon claims."
    That should read, "currently claims to cover". Everyone knows that there's a significant gap between what T-Mobile claims to cover and where they actually provide usable service.
    Again, totally meaningless. With mobile, you don't cover "people": you cover where they go.

All four networks cover all 319 million people. AT&T and Verizon cover them the vast majority of where they live, work, play, and travel. T-Mobile covers better than half of this territory, Sprint covers less than half.

Any time a network claims to cover people not territory, toss it out immediately. Then you can deal with with problems like T-Mobile claiming to cover what they do not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    The thing to note here is that YES Verizon's 1x CDMA network and roaming partners will give you the broadest coverage but we're talking LTE here. It's not hard to imagine that T-Mobile could "materially," close the gap by EOY and literally match it within 12 months.
    The 1X and 2X matters. Because about half of the country (lower 48) has only 0X on T-Mobile: that's one really bad network. While Verizon provides at least SOME coverage in most of the territory.

If T-Mobile ends up matching Verizon LTE (which they never said they would, hence Ray's weasel words about covering people), that still leaves them as a significantly inferior network, due to very slow or no T-Mobile coverage at all outside of the supposedly matching LTE area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Again, totally meaningless. With mobile, you don't cover "people": you cover where they go.

All four networks cover all 319 million people. AT&T and Verizon cover them the vast majority of where they live, work, play, and travel. T-Mobile covers better than half of this territory, Sprint covers less than half.

Any time a network claims to cover people not territory, toss it out immediately. Then you can deal with with problems like T-Mobile claiming to cover what they do not.
    I already have tickets in as well as an open case with the BBB on the 'claimed' coverage (4G LTE verified) where there is 'No Service' for miles.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The 1X and 2X matters. Because about half of the country (lower 48) has only 0X on T-Mobile: that's one really bad network. While Verizon provides at least SOME coverage in most of the territory.

If T-Mobile ends up matching Verizon LTE (which they never said they would, hence Ray's weasel words about covering people), that still leaves them as a significantly inferior network, due to very slow or no T-Mobile coverage at all outside of the supposedly matching LTE area.
    I'm a little disappointed to see that tmobile stated a billion or so in the 600 auction will get them what they want. Not sure what that will give them price wise though.

Tmobile seems to have improved a lot and in many spots they seem on par with performance being high but to match both Verizon and att on coverage everywhere will take some time and money on top of spectrum. Is Tmobile claiming coverage in general or just lte?
    Last edited by wilbur101; 12-16-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    My method for reading T-Mobile's coverage maps only works where towers are widely spaced. You look at the center of the antenna pattern, take the distance from the center to the outer edge of their "good" service, then go that far out again into the "fair". That's about the cut off of where your service will be reliable vs "iffy". YMMV but it works for me.
    I understand. There are a lot of places, several near here in the Texas panhandle, where, instead of placing a site in two towns that are about 20 mile apart, they have placed a site halfway between the two towns, putting each one in the "fair" portion of coverage. Not an ideal situation, but in this case the flat terrain allows both towns to have decent service. The best data rates are where no one lives at all, right around the site in the country, but they are obviously spreading out their expense as much as they can while still providing good service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post

, instead of placing a site in two towns that are about 20 mile apart, they have placed a site halfway between the two towns, putting each one in the "fair" portion of coverage. Not an ideal situation, ............they are obviously spreading out their expense as much as they can while still providing good service.

That IS NOT providing "good service" at all, it's actually lousy.

In theory 700mhz should close the gap in your illustration and 600mhz (if they get any) should make it even better. Nothing beats the old fashioned method of erecting a tower in between the two. But, it costs money, lots of it, I get it.

What I've noticed is that even in areas where B12 is deployed my device would hold on to 1900mhz desperately and use B12 as a last resort. It really became an exercise in frustration.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    In the recently added B12 areas in northern Michigan, T-Mobile has their sites spread out much further apart than Verizon and AT&T in a lot of those areas. In many of those rural areas coverage is mediocre to be quite honest. They will have to densify if they want to match the QoS that the other two provide.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    [/B]

What I've noticed is that even in areas where B12 is deployed my device would hold on to 1900mhz desperately and use B12 as a last resort. It really became an exercise in frustration.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    [/B]

That IS NOT providing "good service" at all, it's actually lousy.

In theory 700mhz should close the gap in your illustration and 600mhz (if they get any) should make it even better. Nothing beats the old fashioned method of erecting a tower in between the two. But, it costs money, lots of it, I get it.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
    I think it's programmed like that intentionally. They don't want their narrow bandwidth being used unless it absolutely has too. It's only 5x5 So I can see why they want it only as a last resort.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this... 99% of the time, T-Mobile works extremely well for me. But that 1% of the time when I find myself in a rural county (such as when I visited Point Lookout, MD a couple weeks ago) it's miles and miles of dead zone. So they still have a ways to go yet. I know for a fact that Verizon and/or AT&T will have much better coverage in those rural counties.
    Actually, AT&T's coverage in that area is quite poor as well. I think Verizon's is slightly better, but it's still not great. They all have cell sites in the same locations in Saint Mary's County.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Not to mention, I've recently lost large areas of roaming on AT&T. I believe AT&T may have turned down 2G early and T-Mobile isn't allowing HSPA roaming at this time.
    Where? Does the map still show that roaming should be available?

T-Mobile will match Verizon LTE coverage... some year, but not soon. If you look at what Ray actually said, he said covering LTE "people". Totally meaningless. Let's seem him match where people go: territory.

There's no brainwashing. Verizon is somewhat better than AT&T, hugely better than T-Mobile, and twice as good as Sprint. That's the facts.
    Do people really travel to these areas in large numbers? I keep hearing Verizon customers use this excuse to insult T-Mobile's network, but I don't see much evidence to back it up. Who's flocking to vacation in the Dakotas or Montana?
    Cingular/AT&T customer from 2006-2008
    Verizon customer from 2008-2013
    AT&T customer from 2013-2015
    T-Mobile customer from 2015-Present

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Do people really travel to these areas in large numbers? I keep hearing Verizon customers use this excuse to insult T-Mobile's network, but I don't see much evidence to back it up. Who's flocking to vacation in the Dakotas or Montana?
    Agreed.

Consumers view their mobile providers in similar ways they view their favorite sports team, the way they choose their religious affiliations and political views; particularly on mobile tech enthusiast sites like this.

Most live in bubbles and get their information regurgitated back from their inner circle.

People forget this is an extremely large nation (geographically) we live in. Regional service can vary wildly but that doesn't stop JoShmo from making over-generalizations about nationwide mobile networks from his tent in the Appalachians and posting from a hand me down Android phone still equipped with Donut connected to TracFone.

It's easy to recognize for me because I used to be that JoShmo.

If I lived in some unmarked town in the middle of Nebraska where only Verizon worked of course I'd use them. If I worked as a security guard in some underground garage where only Verizon worked then yeah I'd use them. If I was a ranger working at a national park in the Sierra Nevadas and only Verizon had service there then yeah I'd use them.

But to quote Janet Jackson: "But I'm not so I can't then I won't."

What I've learned as a consumer who has left then come back to T-Mobile a few times over the past 5 years is that their network can rapidly change on a dime. If you gauge what they have done in 2 years in comparison to the 10 years Big Red and Ma Bell have done it's nothing short of a miracle. That's why I won't put it past them to achieve what they state they will. If it's not there today it very well may be tomorrow.

Every day I'm discovering new highways where they are lighting up LTE that AT&T still only has HSPA. I'm encouraged to see this and from T-Mobile's port in ratios so are others.

Feedback Score
    Eonder where sllprint will be if they do not cover alwritue.

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    They r doing great work so i am sure they will

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post

Where? Does the map still show that roaming should be available?

NE Alabama and TN, the map shows roaming is still available, however my phone refused to connect to AT&T HSPA or LTE last week. GSM has totally disappeared in those areas.. Actually at my house right now in Austin I cannot find AT&T 2G anymore. I'm guessing it's an area by area thing, or they've just given up already.

Shockingly a good number of people do travel to these rural areas. Seeing as they likely spend most of their time in those areas, they will have whatever carrier works best for them and stick with it.

The rural areas I visit will likely never see the level of service from T-Mobile that I get with Verizon, and that's ok, it honestly wouldn't be profitable for them to go out and build these areas that were established back in the day of the bell companies.

if they would just add roaming to fill in the gaps then I know quite a few people who could switch. Most people who reside in a larger area with good T-Mobile service will likely not have too many issues. The occasional trip back home could be dealt with through WiFi (if available) or friends and family there would have a phone that works.

Feedback Score
    Need the speed to go with the coverage

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast