Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile’s Ray: We’ll match Verizon’s LTE coverage this year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    Do people really travel to these areas in large numbers? I keep hearing Verizon customers use this excuse to insult T-Mobile's network, but I don't see much evidence to back it up. Who's flocking to vacation in the Dakotas or Montana?
    It's not just those two states. From coast to coast, most states have poor T-Mobile coverage (a third or more of each state lacking any coverage at all), with huge holes all over. So then it is just a matter of "flocking" to the next county and losing coverage, without having to go to the "empty West".

And AT&T and Verizon both cover this territory ignored by T-Mobile and Sprint, which makes them much better mobile networks, and results in magnitudes more customers and profits. It's not just fanboy "insults", the difference is real and significant.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    ....Do people really travel to these areas in large numbers? I keep hearing Verizon customers use this excuse to insult T-Mobile's network, but I don't see much evidence to back it up. Who's flocking to vacation in the Dakotas or Montana?
    The point is that it really doesn't matter how many and how often. When you need to make a call, you need to make a call. I like to go backpacking. I was on part of the Appalachian Trail in N. GA and needed to call a trail shuttle service (backwoods taxi) to pull us out before a storm. Fortunately, I had my PagePlus backup phone which uses Verizon's CDMA network and had a couple bars of signal. I don't use it frequently but I'm glad I have it when I need it because it allows me to keep my cheap T-Mobile plan for the other 99% of the time. For some reason, many people can't handle a two-phone solution but they still feel they need service in those <1% places. If they just need voice and text out there, Sprint may work for them. Otherwise, they'd be limited to Verizon or AT&T.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    [/B]

That IS NOT providing "good service" at all, it's actually lousy.

In theory 700mhz should close the gap in your illustration and 600mhz (if they get any) should make it even better. Nothing beats the old fashioned method of erecting a tower in between the two. But, it costs money, lots of it, I get it.

What I've noticed is that even in areas where B12 is deployed my device would hold on to 1900mhz desperately and use B12 as a last resort. It really became an exercise in frustration.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
    Yes, it is quite a lousy way of doing it. 700 MHz would help, but they don't have 700 MHz to use there, so they are trying to make the best of the situation and lower their costs. I understand their reasoning but it is not an ideal situation at all. A lot of people assume that T-Mobile has nationwide 700 Mhz spectrum at their disposal, but they don't. They don't have it here in New Mexico and they don't over in Oklahoma or the Texas panhandle either. All they have is Bands 2 and 4, which are not ideal at all, so with a limited infrastructure budget, they have to make do until such time as they can get some low-band spectrum.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    Yes, it is quite a lousy way of doing it. ...... I understand their reasoning but it is not an ideal situation at all. ....
    I think that their experience with 700 MHz will allow them to tailor their network to match real demand. If a 700 MHz sector stays saturated, the engineers will know that they need to add or upgrade mid-band sites in that sector's footprint. It's a dynamic process, not a static one.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    Yes, it is quite a lousy way of doing it. 700 MHz would help, but they don't have 700 MHz to use there, so they are trying to make the best of the situation and lower their costs. I understand their reasoning but it is not an ideal situation at all. A lot of people assume that T-Mobile has nationwide 700 Mhz spectrum at their disposal, but they don't. They don't have it here in New Mexico and they don't over in Oklahoma or the Texas panhandle either. All they have is Bands 2 and 4, which are not ideal at all, so with a limited infrastructure budget, they have to make do until such time as they can get some low-band spectrum.
    T-Mobile has the license for 700 in much of New Mexico except for the area around Santa Fe and then another area around Carlsbad/Roswell. T-Mobile also hold the license for the Texas panhandle. The Oklahoma panhandle is an omission at this time but who knows what will happen in the future in that area and far western Kansas.

As for the coverage in that area US 54 can be used as an example where T-Mobile has a tower in Liberal, KS but nothing across the Oklahoma panhandle then another tower in Stratford, TX. It wouldn't take much to cover that bit between Kansas and Texas even without 700. US 54 is fairly well traveled so I'm surprised it has been neglected in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. 700 in the Texas panhandle should be in the process of being deployed now as it was a transaction that took place toward the end of May.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "Cnet noted that T-Mobile currently covers 311 million people with LTE, which is just a few million away from what Verizon claims."
    That should read, "currently claims to cover". Everyone knows that there's a significant gap between what T-Mobile claims to cover and where they actually provide usable service.
    Must be that "fake news" everyone is talking about.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Again, totally meaningless. With mobile, you don't cover "people": you cover where they go.

All four networks cover all 319 million people. AT&T and Verizon cover them the vast majority of where they live, work, play, and travel. T-Mobile covers better than half of this territory, Sprint covers less than half.

Any time a network claims to cover people not territory, toss it out immediately. Then you can deal with with problems like T-Mobile claiming to cover what they do not.
    More fake news.... There are a lot of flaws in your theory..... AT&T doesn't cover me where I live but T-Mobile does. AT&T is over rated and over priced.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    More fake news.... There are a lot of flaws in your theory..... AT&T doesn't cover me where I live but T-Mobile does. AT&T is over rated and over priced.
    That's clearly a one-off example. Nobody can credibly claim that AT&T does not have more coverage than T-Mobile, because AT&T does.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is native coverage only being compared or is roaming coverage included as well? I'm assuming it's the latter but I often wonder how accurate these things are because native coverage should be a more impressive standard because it represents actual owned assets that are being utilized.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    That's clearly a one-off example. Nobody can credibly claim that AT&T does not have more coverage than T-Mobile, because AT&T does.
    .........Agreed

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    :-) T-mobile already has better than VZW coverage, but Russian hackers made it smaller LOL

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    But it's all a YMMV situation..

For instance i live in Downtown Columbus, OH.. AT&T consistently is on 4G, or dropping completely whereas T-Mobile in the same spots will pull 40+Mbps on LTE just fine. My friends on at&t will usually ask me to look something up or use my hotspot..

Now go a few miles up the road to OSU campus.. AT&T has an agreement with OSU so the service is solid on campus, and T-Mobile can get sketchy at times.

For me, AT&T does not have a quality network most places I go.

I fly all around the country for work, and while i could appreciate AT&T attempting to put LTE on every band they have, the little 5-10MHz chunks in random bands just could not generally keep up with my usage.
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: Wide Open West 500/50

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    In the recently added B12 areas in northern Michigan, T-Mobile has their sites spread out much further apart than Verizon and AT&T in a lot of those areas. In many of those rural areas coverage is mediocre to be quite honest. They will have to densify if they want to match the QoS that the other two provide.
    Agree agree agree! I have experienced this myself many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------
    I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:13

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Agreed.

Consumers view their mobile providers in similar ways they view their favorite sports team, the way they choose their religious affiliations and political views; particularly on mobile tech enthusiast sites like this.

Most live in bubbles and get their information regurgitated back from their inner circle.

People forget this is an extremely large nation (geographically) we live in. Regional service can vary wildly but that doesn't stop JoShmo from making over-generalizations about nationwide mobile networks from his tent in the Appalachians and posting from a hand me down Android phone still equipped with Donut connected to TracFone.

It's easy to recognize for me because I used to be that JoShmo.

If I lived in some unmarked town in the middle of Nebraska where only Verizon worked of course I'd use them. If I worked as a security guard in some underground garage where only Verizon worked then yeah I'd use them. If I was a ranger working at a national park in the Sierra Nevadas and only Verizon had service there then yeah I'd use them.

But to quote Janet Jackson: "But I'm not so I can't then I won't."

What I've learned as a consumer who has left then come back to T-Mobile a few times over the past 5 years is that their network can rapidly change on a dime. If you gauge what they have done in 2 years in comparison to the 10 years Big Red and Ma Bell have done it's nothing short of a miracle. That's why I won't put it past them to achieve what they state they will. If it's not there today it very well may be tomorrow.

Every day I'm discovering new highways where they are lighting up LTE that AT&T still only has HSPA. I'm encouraged to see this and from T-Mobile's port in ratios so are others.
    I used to be that way when I had AT&T. T-Mobile's coverage was laughable, and our local T-Mobile store was always completely empty. It became something of a running joke.

But now it just seems childish to criticize carriers and their customers using sweeping generalizations. All carriers have weak areas and strong areas. I can list many areas where Verizon's coverage is terrible, just as Verizon customers can list many areas where T-Mobile's coverage is terrible.

People should use what works best for them, and not criticize others for their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    NE Alabama and TN, the map shows roaming is still available, however my phone refused to connect to AT&T HSPA or LTE last week. GSM has totally disappeared in those areas.. Actually at my house right now in Austin I cannot find AT&T 2G anymore. I'm guessing it's an area by area thing, or they've just given up already.
    My guess is that most of these areas will be replaced with 3G roaming by the end of the year. If not, then definitely in Q1 2017.

From coast to coast, most states have poor T-Mobile coverage (a third or more of each state lacking any coverage at all), with huge holes all over.
    Wow! That's quite the exaggeration! You've been all over every state yourself to test this? If T-Mobile's coverage is so awful, why do they have 70 million customers and counting, while AT&T hasn't gained a single postpaid customer in over a year?

And AT&T and Verizon both cover this territory ignored by T-Mobile and Sprint, which makes them much better mobile networks, and results in magnitudes more customers and profits. It's not just fanboy "insults", the difference is real and significant.
    And I could name many areas where AT&T and Verizon have weak spots too and have ignored. All carriers have strong areas and weak areas. You can't call out only T-Mobile without calling out the other carriers too.
    Cingular/AT&T customer from 2006-2008
    Verizon customer from 2008-2013
    AT&T customer from 2013-2015
    T-Mobile customer from 2015-Present

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Apple Watch Series 2
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It's not just those two states. From coast to coast, most states have poor T-Mobile coverage (a third or more of each state lacking any coverage at all), with huge holes all over. So then it is just a matter of "flocking" to the next county and losing coverage, without having to go to the "empty West".

As an avid hiker and someone who drives around a lot of the intermountain west I can tell you that a lot of that red and orange splattered on their coverage maps are exaggerated for the most part.

Verizon shows full LTE in parts of their Colorado map in areas we could only pick up 1xRTT if we were outside.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast