Thread: T-Mobile’s Ray: We’ll match Verizon’s LTE coverage this year

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile’s Ray: We’ll match Verizon’s LTE coverage this year

T-Mobile’s Ray: We’ll match Verizon’s LTE coverage this year

"T-Mobile US CTO Neville Ray said the carrier will “close the gap” with Verizon’s LTE network coverage by the end of this year. Specifically, he said that T-Mobile expects to cover the same number of people that Verizon does with LTE by the end of 2016."

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    "Cnet noted that T-Mobile currently covers 311 million people with LTE, which is just a few million away from what Verizon claims."
    That should read, "currently claims to cover". Everyone knows that there's a significant gap between what T-Mobile claims to cover and where they actually provide usable service.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hahahaha this is so funny!!! T-Mobile's map is such a lie.... not as bad as AT&T, but still. There are several places where T-Mobile stated the area was covered with LTE when I roamed on AT&T 4G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------
    I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:13

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this... 99% of the time, T-Mobile works extremely well for me. But that 1% of the time when I find myself in a rural county (such as when I visited Point Lookout, MD a couple weeks ago) it's miles and miles of dead zone. So they still have a ways to go yet. I know for a fact that Verizon and/or AT&T will have much better coverage in those rural counties.

Carrier(s)
    at&t ma bell
    Feedback Score
    Yeah in the places where T-Mobile covers they do it well.

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    "who me?"

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "Cnet noted that T-Mobile currently covers 311 million people with LTE, which is just a few million away from what Verizon claims."
    That should read, "currently claims to cover". Everyone knows that there's a significant gap between what T-Mobile claims to cover and where they actually provide usable service.
    I can say though, the LTE coverage even rurally is way better than it once was.

In Ohio i can usually get about the same coverage as AT&T.. except one place i go, and i expect B12 to fill that in nicely as B2 covers outside fairly well.
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: Time Warner Cable (or eh Spectrum) 50/5

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mobile's coverage really was closing in on Verizon's, I wouldn't be using Verizon right now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Sometimes Verizon customers live in bubbles. They'll never accept that T-Mobile will match their LTE coverage. I used to be that way so I know. I'm a former employee of Verizon Wireless so I understand the brainwashing that comes along with it.

Some Verizon customers still think that Verizon doesn't compete with T-Mobile?

The thing to note here is that YES Verizon's 1x CDMA network and roaming partners will give you the broadest coverage but we're talking LTE here. It's not hard to imagine that T-Mobile could "materially," close the gap by EOY and literally match it within 12 months.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I honestly don't doubt this, but T-Mobile's definition of "cover" is very grey. They may "cover" the same towns as Verizon in an area, but I can guarantee that in rural areas Verizon has several times more cell sites than T-Mobile will. T-Mobile will have one cell site that covers a whole area with fair LTE, while Verizon will actually have usable LTE from several towers. This is exactly the case here in northern New England.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They are nowhere close in the Southeast. Maybe by POPS they are close, but I'd like to see some updated geographical milage stats.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I honestly don't doubt this, but T-Mobile's definition of "cover" is very grey. They may "cover" the same towns as Verizon in an area, but I can guarantee that in rural areas Verizon has several times more cell sites than T-Mobile will. T-Mobile will have one cell site that covers a whole area with fair LTE, while Verizon will actually have usable LTE from several towers. This is exactly the case here in northern New England.
    Same back in my home state. You go to the map and start clicking around anywhere in the state more than 10-15 miles off the highway and it will come up as "fair".

Not to mention, I've recently lost large areas of roaming on AT&T. I believe AT&T may have turned down 2G early and T-Mobile isn't allowing HSPA roaming at this time.

Carrier(s)
    at&t ma bell
    Feedback Score
    I can't say with certainty how much coverage or LTE T-Mobile has but I feel as if they are building a very good network that performs well. Steady improvement so that goes a long way I think. That's main thing to me. I want them to keep getting better and that what they seem to be doing. I think when T-Mobile mentions other carriers it's more marketing speak in the near term but in the long term I think T-Mobile can match coverage

I downsized to just att but just this morning I renewed my T-Mobile prepaid since it works well and the price is right

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1481841717.157591.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  64.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1481841725.174615.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  50.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1481841742.098108.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  72.5 KB

If T-Mobile activates roaming on US Cell and more on AT&T, then they "technically" could provide nearly the same. Or they could secretly have been installing hundreds of cell sites in rural areas and are waiting till the 31st to light them up, but that's unlikely.

Otherwise it's all marketing fluff at this point.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I believe Neville said "materially," match LTE coverage by end of year and literally match within 12 months.

The rate and speed which T-Mobile has grown over 2 years and the way they have turned the industry upside down should not leave any doubt in anyone's mind. They are the global leaders in WiFi calling, VoLTE and according to T-Mobile they have the world's highest VoLTE customer penetration rate.

Not only is T-Mobile's LTE network expanding but with 4x4 MIMO/256 QAM and CA they are building it to stand up to the competition.

I hope nobody's feelings get hurt over this. Verizon is still the nation's leader in CDMA 1x coverage and will be until they dismantle it.

Carrier(s)
    at&t ma bell
    Feedback Score
    One thing I forgot to mention, I'm happiest with at&t but I'd be fine if my only line was on T-Mobile. Couldn't say that a while back so T-Mobile has made great improvements whether they match or not

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast