Thread: AirVoice and AT&T 2G shutdown

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score

AirVoice and AT&T 2G shutdown

I've been following the threads here about the AT&T 2G shutdown and how it effects H2O. I figured the same would apply to AirVoice but just to be sure I dropped a note to Customer Service and received the following reply:

As of 12/31/2016 ATT will phase out the 2G towers so 2G devices will not work under ATT towers, we use ATT towers so a 2G device will not work with our service.

This probably doesn't effect 99% of AirVoice (or H2O) users, but there are some people out there still using flip phones--my mother-in-law for example--or as an emergency "glovebox" phone.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We've been getting messages from AVW on the two little-used flip phones on our account. One is my mom's ex-AT&T Sony Ericsson 3G flip. No issue there. The other is my spare phone, also a S-E and 3G, but unlocked T-Mobile. Looks to me, based on my check of phone specs, that the T-Mo/AT&T band difference should not be an issue, but if it is, it's not the end of the world to replace that phone quickly.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    We've been getting messages from AVW on the two little-used flip phones on our account. One is my mom's ex-AT&T Sony Ericsson 3G flip. No issue there. The other is my spare phone, also a S-E and 3G, but unlocked T-Mobile. Looks to me, based on my check of phone specs, that the T-Mo/AT&T band difference should not be an issue, but if it is, it's not the end of the world to replace that phone quickly.
    I believe you can use both phones with any AT&T MVNO as long as they are 3G. And you can still use a 2G phone on a T-Mobile MVNO which is why I plan to port my mother-in-law's 2G Pantech to US Mobile. I try not to move the cheese with her. She'll have the same number and the same phone and won't even know the difference.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I believe you can use both phones with any AT&T MVNO as long as they are 3G. And you can still use a 2G phone on a T-Mobile MVNO which is why I plan to port my mother-in-law's 2G Pantech to US Mobile.
    I was able to confirm with AV that "if it's an unlocked 3G GSM phone it will work". Good enough for me.

I like your T-Mo MVNO idea. But I think my real direction (at least for my phone, the T-Mo unlocked one) is an app for my primary phone (iPhone SE) that will let me direct a second number to it. I need to have the separate number but it doesn't get a lot of use. Then the flip won't matter at all.