Thread: HTC EV-4G (releaed June 4, 2010 ) is failing

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

HTC EV-4G (releaed June 4, 2010 ) is failing

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G

My friend has an HTC EV- 4G (Android 2.3.5) from roughly 2010 which has been missing voice calls and texts steadily in the last year.
    Although the phone is not new, it was Sprint's flagship phone at the time.

Sometimes an SMS will arrive hours late, time stamps are wrong, voice calls don't ring, and she can no longer get into Sprint Zone with *2. She says she cannot download new Android programs or delete old ones.

Sometimes the phone works OK, but sometimes not at all.

Ideally, it would be nice if she could get 3-6 months more use out of the phone. Getting some kind of diagnosis out of Sprint other than the phone is 6 years old has been impossible. She cannot even seem to get support to give her a Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) code so she can do a carrier reset.

We tried the following suggestion, but no EPST menu appeared.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/gui...rkshop.117401/

I don't know if there is a problem with the conversion to LTE by Sprint If so, it seems that Sprint would have sent notice and offers for a plan to upgrade equipment.

The following is a list of known 3G and WiMax frequencies which Sprint employs in the United States:
    800 MHz ESMR 10 1xAdvanced 3G Active For voice and low-speed data (<150kbit/s).
    1900 MHz PCS 1 1xRTT/1xAdvanced/EVDO/eHRPD 3G In the process of refarming to LTE.
    2.5 GHz WiMax

Any idea? Firmware upgrade? Would a network reset do anything?
    LG K3 on Virgin Mobile ($20 a month Walmart Plan)
    2 Samsung SCH-u410™ w/Verizon Prepaid ($5 month & $15 month grandfathered plans)

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The phone is 6, almost 7 years old now. These phones are designed to last 2 or maybe 3 years. My best suggestion to you is to either buy a cheap Sprint phone new or something off of Swappa/eBay/Amazon. Sprint phones have way lower value than that of any other carrier.

I'm sorry but there's no saving this phone.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I don't agree that a SPRINT flagship phone should lose all of it's basic functions after 6 years. That was probably a $500 phone when it was purchased. I know you can't expect LTE data, but it shouldn't fail completely.

SPRINT "Affordable" Phones from their website
    $120 LG Tribute™ HD
    $120 LG Tribute 5
    $216 LG X power™
    $240 LG Stylo™ 2
    $300 Apple iPhone 5s

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    It is 6.5 years old. Meaning the hardware in it was designed 7 to 8 years ago.

In cellular technology that is ancient. Network technologies have changed and the legacy phone simply will not be updated to be compatible

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    What is it with people wanting to hold onto, and make use of ancient technology, on this forum lately?

The phone is seven years old, you more than got your investment back.

Even Sprint abandoned the technology that the phone is capable of connecting to, WiMAX. The phone is limited to 3G and 1x for data.

Time to move on already.

Feedback Score
    Either find a way to up rom it to up to kit kat android 4.4 or switch to a newer phone or master reset and hope ...or live with its faults for another 3 to 6 months. I think thats pretty much all your possible options at this point...

Sent from my LGLS676 using HoFo mobile app