Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: moto g4 versus g4 play

Feedback Score

moto g4 versus g4 play

I'm looking for a replacement phone for my wife's LG transpyre. About 6 months ago, I posted regarding a sudden loss of VZ coverage in our neighborhood.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ge-in-coverage

That problem has gotten no better, and I'd like to switch from CDMA to GSM because the AT&T coverage here, while not great, is far better.

She's far from a power user, although she does use the phone a lot for her freelance job. She'll use some voice time and a lot of texts. No processor intensive apps. Mostly web browsing, calendar/scheduling apps, etc.

I'd like to do this in the $100-$150 range, and the Moto G4 and G4 play seem like obvious choices. The G4 seems the better deal given the difference in specs, but I've read a number of bad reviews about the G4 screen and problems with ghost touches. The G4 play seems not to have the same problems.

I'm writing to ask if anybody has used both and might provide a recommendation here. Or perhaps, there is a better option in that price range that I'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcqmaddog View Post
    I'd like to do this in the $100-$150 range, and the Moto G4 and G4 play seem like obvious choices.

I'm writing to ask if anybody has used both and might provide a recommendation here. Or perhaps, there is a better option in that price range that I'm missing.
    The LG Phoenix 2 (K371) and Moto G4 Play have very similar specs. The Phoenix 2 is $70 right now. It goes on sale at Best Buy for $50 quite often.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The LG Phoenix 2 (K371) and Moto G4 Play have very similar specs. The Phoenix 2 is $70 right now. It goes on sale at Best Buy for $50 quite often.
    One advantage of the Moto G4 Play is that it can be used on the Vzw and Sprint networks, in addition to AT&T and T-Mobile, and comes fully unlocked.

I understand that a SIM unlock code can be obtained for the Phoenix 2, but even if unlocked, does it have bands/frequencies to fully support the T-Mobile network? If yes, and if you can get it for $50, it seems like that would be a better value if the intention is to use it only on GSM.

Feedback Score
    Just for clarification, the Moto G4 Play being referenced below is the unlocked XT1607 CDMA/GSM capable model, not the locked CDMA-only Verizon Prepaid XT1609 variant.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ay_xt1607.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    One advantage of the Moto G4 Play is that it can be used on the Vzw and Sprint networks, in addition to AT&T and T-Mobile, and comes fully unlocked.

I understand that a SIM unlock code can be obtained for the Phoenix 2, but even if unlocked, does it have bands/frequencies to fully support the T-Mobile network? If yes, and if you can get it for $50, it seems like that would be a better value if the intention is to use it only on GSM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The unlocked Moto G4 Play is normally $150 at Best Buy. $50 more for the standard G4.

Feedback Score
    Then there's the Amazon G4 Play with ads that's currently $100 if you don't mind the unlock screen ads.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I understand that a SIM unlock code can be obtained for the Phoenix 2, but even if unlocked, does it have bands/frequencies to fully support the T-Mobile network?
    The OP didn't mention T-mobile as a carrier choice, so I suggested the Phoenix 2.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Then there's the Amazon G4 Play with ads that's currently $100 if you don't mind the unlock screen ads.
    My brother bought the Amazon G4 Play with ads. The ads are not intrusive at all. They show on the lock screen, but you just flick at the screen (no PIN/password needed) and they go away.

Feedback Score
    Well, I just looked it up. I always assumed I was using the AT&T network with my gsm tracfone service, but I am actually using t-mobile, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    Well of course it matters. You should research the AT&T and Verizon Prepaid voice coverage maps and pick the service which looks best for your areas of desired coverage . Did you confirm carrier by looking at first six digits of SIM number or what? Good thing you decided to check.

Well, I just looked it up. I always assumed I was using the AT&T network with my gsm tracfone service, but I am actually using t-mobile, if that matters.

Feedback Score
    How did you determine it was T-Mobile service? I would check that out, as T-Mobile seldom has better coverage than AT&T.

All the specs I see for the Phoenix 2 say it has LTE Band 12 which is usually associated with T-Mobile. They don't list Band 17 which associated with AT&T. Weird because this is a GoPhone. Either way these can run on HSPA+ 4G which is fairly fast.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-K371-phoenix-2

Feedback Score
    I followed the instructions found at the link below and trusted that their interpretation is accurate.

http://www.preprepaid.com/whichtracfonecarrier.php

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Well of course it matters. You should research the AT&T and Verizon Prepaid voice coverage maps and pick the service which looks best for your areas of desired coverage . Did you confirm carrier by looking at first six digits of SIM number or what? Good thing you decided to check.
    Well, it doesn't really matter if I want to stay with TF, does it? I don't get any CDMA coverage at my house (see op). I do get GSM coverage. Does it matter if that coverage is supplied by AT&T or T-mobile?

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is the source to go to. So your phone is on T-Mobile works well and hers is on Verizon and doesn't work so well? Prior post of mine may be off the mark. I'd check all three carrier prepaid coverage voice maps to see if they correlate with your experience.

I followed the instructions found at the link below and trusted that their interpretation is accurate.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

That's not the most reliable way to check what carrier you're using. The best way is to look at the first 6 digits of the SIM number.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast