Thread: Comcast outage

Feedback Score

Comcast outage

Last night, our Comcast office on Cape Cod had a small fire that knocked out TV and Internet service for about 4 hours in 7 towns on the Lower Cape. Interestingly, it also knocked out Tmobile and Sprint telephone and LTE service. Phone service was restored about an hour before LTE service was restored along with Comcast's internet service.
    I'm curious - why does Comcast's service affect Tmobile's Telephone service?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile probably uses Comcast for backhaul. Probably saves them money but should be backed up with microwave.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcapecod View Post
    Last night, our Comcast office on Cape Cod had a small fire that knocked out TV and Internet service for about 4 hours in 7 towns on the Lower Cape. Interestingly, it also knocked out Tmobile and Sprint telephone and LTE service. Phone service was restored about an hour before LTE service was restored along with Comcast's internet service.
    I'm curious - why does Comcast's service affect Tmobile's Telephone service?
    Glad you brought this up. I was wondering why Sprint LTE was out at the same time as Comcast. So much for cell data as a backup when internet goes out.

I still don't get that neither Comcast, Sprint or T-Mobile don't have a way to re-route traffic. I mean a fire at the Comcast local office takes out TV, internet, and 2 cell company's data for the whole lower Cape.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Glad you brought this up. I was wondering why Sprint LTE was out at the same time as Comcast. So much for cell data as a backup when internet goes out.
    Reminds me of a work issue a few years ago. We had two circuits from Verizon. Primary and Backup. We had been making changes to the network at one end and the servers at the other end started getting multiple network errors (several hours after we had finished). Naturally they blamed our changes as the errors were occurring on both the primary and backup circuits. After many hours of arguing and testing the person responsible for those circuits called Verizon and within minutes the problem went away. Seems when specifying the circuits no one had asked for them to run over physically separate cables, turns out they were both multiplexed onto one which was having the issue.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I mean a fire at the Comcast local office takes out TV, internet, and 2 cell company's data for the whole lower Cape.

I wonder if the same would happen if you're a Verizon FiOS customer, and Verizon wireless customer, and there's a problem with Verizon equipment.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamssx View Post
    Reminds me of a work issue a few years ago. We had two circuits from Verizon. Primary and Backup. We had been making changes to the network at one end and the servers at the other end started getting multiple network errors (several hours after we had finished). Naturally they blamed our changes as the errors were occurring on both the primary and backup circuits. After many hours of arguing and testing the person responsible for those circuits called Verizon and within minutes the problem went away. Seems when specifying the circuits no one had asked for them to run over physically separate cables, turns out they were both multiplexed onto one which was having the issue.
    Before the Northeast Blackout of 1965 many buildings (e.g. Hospitals) in the NYC area had a backup power system which consisted of a motor-generator to convert the old Edison 400 VDC power to 60 Hz A/C power. Turns out that for many years ConEd had maintained a separate 400 VDC generating facility in NYC and that DC and AC supplies had never failed simultaneously. However, most companies were unaware that ConEd had replaced the DC generators with transformers and rectifiers running off the same A/C grid as everything else. When the A/C power went down, many people who thought their power was backed up, found out that they had been living in a dream world. The place I used to work started out with one main A/C power feed and one main telecoms feed. By the time I retired they had redundant A/C power and telecommunications lines coming in from different directions, plus a huge autonomous diesel generation plant.

Feedback Score
    Apparently, it also took out AT&T cell service. It's kinda scary to think that out ability to communicate is so dependent on Comcast.
    As a side note, I read on Facebook where someone called Comcast Tech Support during the outage and they had no idea that there even was an outage.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Apparently, it also took out AT&T cell service. It's kinda scary to think that out ability to communicate is so dependent on Comcast.
    As a side note, I read on Facebook where someone called Comcast Tech Support during the outage and they had no idea that there even was an outage.
    I wonder if this is pretty standard, or unique since the Cape is fairly narrow with ocean on all but one side, so naturally everything has to be carried the same direction, and since it's such a small area I wouldn't be surprised if there's a limited amount of fiber run along the Cape.

Device(s)
    ZTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Straight Talk)
    Feedback Score
    Apparently, it also took out AT&T cell service. It's kinda scary to think that out ability to communicate is so dependent on Comcast.As a side note, I read on Facebook where someone called Comcast Tech Support during the outage and they had no idea that there even was an outage.
    It's quite possible that if the tower hosting AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint, was in close proximity to the Comcast office and the local utility company had to temporarily cut the power because of the fire, it might explain the cell services going out, especially if there is no power backup at the cell tower.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    The above would be a good argument for NOT being on a family plan where all lines are on the same carrier if that goes out. OTH - if you can get a signal from any carrier, you can always call 911.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Here in Roanoke va we apparently had a outage of every Cox service sometime before I moved and became there customer. It was caused by someone digging and slicing thought fiber lines. Everything was out for almost 2 days from what I heard. It's pretty common not to have a backup and it costs more and if nothing happens then your lucky and got off easy.

After that outage Cox put in 2(?) additional fiber lines in separate areas from what I understand.

I also know of several cell phone towers that only have one fiber line go in to them. I doubt they have microwave backup but I'll check sometime. If a ice storm came through that particular area maybe without cell service or cable of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    The above would be a good argument for NOT being on a family plan where all lines are on the same carrier if that goes out. OTH - if you can get a signal from any carrier, you can always call 911.
    As long your your phone contained the radio needed to connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Reading this post it reminded me of an outage that occurred in Florida about five years ago when I was there visiting family. Someone decided to dig without doing their research first and ended up hitting a fiber line. That line ended up being the main Century Link line coming into the area and ended up causing a major outage throughout a big chunk of the Florida Panhandle. For about half a day there was no cell service of any kind. The outage went beyond cell service to include landline service including 911 and even the local weather radio towers. It is still crazy to think that damaging one line can disrupt that many things