Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: With no more 2G devices on At&t, is there a prepaid that still works with 2G devices?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    south central WI
    Posts
    1,367
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    0

    With no more 2G devices on At&t, is there a prepaid that still works with 2G devices?

    Hello fellow phone hobbyists

    I have a 2G trail camera that was on our Att family plan and a few days ago the pictures stopped coming in and I get a login fail message. Long story short after dec 31st 2G phones/devices no longer work on att network: https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1084805

    I assume this is the direction that most providers are going in, but I thought I'd ask here: Are there any GSM prepaid providers that will still be offering compatibility with 2G devices? Otherwise I'll have to upgrade the camera but they are pricey and my 2G one is still chugging along...

    thanks in advance everyone

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,257
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    Hello fellow phone hobbyists

    I have a 2G trail camera that was on our Att family plan and a few days ago the pictures stopped coming in and I get a login fail message. Long story short after dec 31st 2G phones/devices no longer work on att network: https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1084805

    I assume this is the direction that most providers are going in, but I thought I'd ask here: Are there any GSM prepaid providers that will still be offering compatibility with 2G devices? Otherwise I'll have to upgrade the camera but they are pricey and my 2G one is still chugging along...

    thanks in advance everyone
    As far as I know, T-Mobile still has 2G service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    south central WI
    Posts
    1,367
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As far as I know, T-Mobile still has 2G service.
    thanks, yeah looks like they are keeping 2g until 2020
    http://www.tmonews.com/2016/09/t-mob...iot-customers/

    I'll check into tmobile and hopefully I can successfully make the switch and prolong replacing this 2G trail camera for a few more years...

    edit: is it safe to assume that the tmobile mvnos will also continue to offer 2g compatibility

    Added onto the att family plan I was paying ~$15 a month, I'd like to keep it around that if possible...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    108
    Carrier(s)
    TmobileToGo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hopefully the trail cam isn't locked to ATT.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    south central WI
    Posts
    1,367
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokiayes View Post
    Hopefully the trail cam isn't locked to ATT.
    There is an option in the gsm settings for t-mobile and manually entering settings so I'm hoping it'll be ok. When I was looking at new ones for replacement I noticed a lot them were locked to one provider.

    now I have to see what the cheapest plan I can find on a t-mobile mnvo (after looking at the monthy usage of the device) compared to that ~$15 a month on att family plan...at a certain point it would be a better investment to buy a new one depending on the cheapest plan I can find.

    thanks for the help

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,374
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    thanks, yeah looks like they are keeping 2g until 2020
    http://www.tmonews.com/2016/09/t-mob...iot-customers/

    I'll check into tmobile and hopefully I can successfully make the switch and prolong replacing this 2G trail camera for a few more years...

    edit: is it safe to assume that the tmobile mvnos will also continue to offer 2g compatibility

    Added onto the att family plan I was paying ~$15 a month, I'd like to keep it around that if possible...
    I would expect T-Mo 2G to continue on their MVNOs. There is a list of MVNOs and their carriers at www.prepaidphonenews.com. The SIM and basic service won't cost much to lose if T-Mo ends 2G early.

    I am envisioning a trail cam out in your huntin' grounds which may be in a rural area. T-Mo is not known for having coverage in rural areas. If you check your location in the online coverage map, zoom down to the exact location. The high level overview implies a lot of coverage that is not really there. The other carriers do that too. AT&T is particularly bad.

    Do you need data for it to send pics? If it is just text notifications of events, Lyca paygo or AlarmSIM might work for cheap.

    Interesting, this is another IoT device that I was unaware of. There are actually people with GPS/mobile-data dog collars - good idea for some.

    You could post some pics for our amusement.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,888
    Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    0

    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    ...at a certain point it would be a better investment to buy a new one depending on the cheapest plan I can find.
    If T-Mobile does not cover where you need it that point is now. Even if there is coverage,
    trying to sell it now might raise more money now for a 3G device than
    waiting until there is no 2G coverage and it becomes a brick or a doorstop.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,320
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the Zte Z222/Z223. These are dirt cheap disposable att prepaid flip phones. They're easily unlocked (request unlock code before turning it on/having it register on the network). Typically on sale for $7-15 at bestbuy or walmart. They're 3g devices so they'll work with the 2g shutdown.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,257
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Check out the Zte Z222/Z223. These are dirt cheap disposable att prepaid flip phones. They're easily unlocked (request unlock code before turning it on/having it register on the network). Typically on sale for $7-15 at bestbuy or walmart. They're 3g devices so they'll work with the 2g shutdown.
    How does that help or how is it relevant to the OP's trail camera issue? Just wondering...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    2,892
    Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Honestly, unless you are in an area that has a regional GSM operator who has better coverage, T-Mobile or an equivalent MVNO is your only option. As previously mentioned, they will be keeping 2G around for another 4 years or so -- I'm sure it's because they know they can pick up some M2M (machine to machine) business from AT&T since some of these devices are hard or expensive to upgrade -- and just like your situation, it may be a legacy option that still just continues to work.

    As for a good, inexpensive option, check out MintSIM at www.mintsim.com -- they re-sell T-Mobile in 1-12 month blocks. Right now they have a great deal of buying 3 months for the price of 1 ($35 for 3 months of 2 Gig per month of data, $50 for 5 Gigs, $60 for 10 gigs). Not sure if this is stackable, but regardless the prices aren't bad, and it's basic SIM-only service which is what you need. This is owned by Ultra Mobile, which from what I understand is a reputable MVNO... Here's a link to the "legacy" (no 700) coverage map -- you'll have access to dark pink (says 4G LTE, but this map was pre-700 so it is all 2G overlayed) and medium pink areas (still 2G/3G at the time of the map) since MintSIM doesn't do roaming (light pink -- and most of that roaming would be AT&T anyway, which is now 3G+ only): https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...14coverage.jpg

    Also these prices include Unilimited Talk & Text, and do allow LTE, including 700, should the device support it. Depending on your AT&T plan price, if you have good native T-Mobile service, it looks like an attractive option to move all your phone lines to as well. Especially if the promo price is stackable (you can buy a couple years and stash it)

    I hope that gives you a usable answer

    N

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,669
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I don't know if this means anything regarding the shut down of 2G.
    I guess that it does.
    My Truphone had been working fine a few days ago.
    I had not tried using it for a few days and all evening I have been having problems with my Truphone.
    I have the SIM in an Android, the LG Optimus L90.
    It is an unlocked phone that I had previously used with T~Mobile.

    I ended up having to re-scan the available networks.
    I had to chose GSM/WCDMA auto.
    I had it on GSM only before tonight.
    I didn't realize that the setting was 2G.
    In other of my phones I do see different settings, 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE et cetera.

    This is what was shown in my phones network settings.
    It showed Truphone RAT : WCDMA and T~Mobile RAT : GSM and T~Mobile RAT : WCDMA

    I have data turned OFF because of data leakage and the cost of data from Truphone.

    This happened in Oakland County Michigan.
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*







  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,320
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    How does that help or how is it relevant to the OP's trail camera issue? Just wondering...
    It has to do with possible options for the OP's topic subject title of 2g devices no longer working on att.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    south central WI
    Posts
    1,367
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    thank you everyone for the discussion and advice. I'll try to get to everyone's comments:

    T-mobile reception has always been touch and go in Wisconsin. Everyone's warnings about potential reception issues are correct. I'm guessing but I think the current location of the camera will get decent t-mobile service...It's worth the month or two of prepaid to test it.

    NGeorge, thank you for the suggestion about Mint, I will def check them out. I'm attaching a pic of the great lakes area of the map you linked, I'm in that dark strip that connects chicago areas to the twin cities areas.

    Name:  WImap.png
Views: 678
Size:  162.8 KB




    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I would expect T-Mo 2G to continue on their MVNOs. There is a list of MVNOs and their carriers at www.prepaidphonenews.com. The SIM and basic service won't cost much to lose if T-Mo ends 2G early.

    I am envisioning a trail cam out in your huntin' grounds which may be in a rural area. T-Mo is not known for having coverage in rural areas. If you check your location in the online coverage map, zoom down to the exact location. The high level overview implies a lot of coverage that is not really there. The other carriers do that too. AT&T is particularly bad.

    Do you need data for it to send pics? If it is just text notifications of events, Lyca paygo or AlarmSIM might work for cheap.

    Interesting, this is another IoT device that I was unaware of. There are actually people with GPS/mobile-data dog collars - good idea for some.

    You could post some pics for our amusement.
    The trail camera does indeed need data to send the pics. Interesting story for phone people is that the trail cameras at the time (2013) were sending the pictures over the network as texts using a method that att eventually said was a 'backdoor' and they made changes to the system to stop it. Until that point it worked with just a text package. The pictures being transmitted are not very big, I'll have to check the size when I get a second...I doubt it's more then 200mb a month

    While the primary use of these trail cameras is for hunters, there is also a subset of buyers that use them for security applications and general property surveillance. That's how this trail camera is used...it's not nearly as jame's bond as it may sound: If you can imagine a property isolated from the view of the road with some storage containers and trailers on it and then imagine a somewhat granulated picture quality to keep the file size small, well you've got the picture!

    This model has text-in options so you can send a text to the trail camera and it will take a picture and send it.

    gpz I can see that my discussion title is somewhat vague. I'm not looking for a new device but to use my current one on a new network that is continuing to provide 2g service

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    You have to zoom ALL the way on the coverage map. It looks like I have coverage at my house but once you zoom that last little bit I don't and most of the area around me doesn't (and I really don't).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    839
    Feedback Score
    0
    >I doubt it's more then 200mb a month

    I'm wondering if FreedomPop's global SIM can't fit the bill. It works on both AT&T and TMO, and goes up to 600MB/month (usable) with the Friends bonus. Not sure how well, or if, it works on 2G, but for $.01 it can't hurt to try.

    http://freedompop.com/offer/pennysimaffpromo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
  3. Is there an MVNO that allows tethering with data fast enough to replace my ISP?
    By JAcQuIN MeNdoZa in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 02:49 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks