Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is the Moto G series the only budget phone that's quad carrier?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    gmannix, that Moto G 4 Play is Vzw branded and won't work for myun's purposes because it has no GSM capabilities.
    Boz1, OP did say he preferred something with both GSM and CDMA capability.....but OP also said something relatively inexpensive. Were I in his shoes, and had decent CDMA reception, I'd be tempted to buy two of the DG Verizon G4PLAYs. I, personally paid $99 for the unlocked version even though I had already purchased the VZ from DG for $40. I am fortunate to live where both AT&T and VZ are prevalent.

Feedback Score
    I'm happy to hear of other options such as the Verizon prepaid version, even though it doesn't have GSM capability, the price is very attractive. At this time, I still think I want to save up to buy one with both CDMA and GSM, but it's good to know of alternative.

Feedback Score
    Keep on eye on the weekly sales posting here too:
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/

A lot to skim over ...
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...eek-jan-8.html

Quote Originally Posted by myun View Post
    I'm happy to hear of other options such as the Verizon prepaid version, even though it doesn't have GSM capability, the price is very attractive. At this time, I still think I want to save up to buy one with both CDMA and GSM, but it's good to know of alternative.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    I'll just have to keep an eye out for sales and good priced refurbs for now. By the way, is there a reason why I never see manufacturer refurbished Play? Nothing ever goes wrong with it??
    The G4 Play was just released in August. I would stay away from refurbs unless from a retailer that can offer a decent warranty.

Feedback Score
    What do you not like about mathfaster's suggestion to get an Amazon unlocked (with ads) G4 Play for $100 with Prime?

That's $50 cheaper than the without ads version:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ay_xt1607.html

and either of the above does GSM or CDMA.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    PayPal offers a 6 month money back guarantee on purchases through eBay.
    I`ve not seen it in writing, but eBay CS has mentioned it to me and I have gotten refunds in three cases of very small purchase amounts

Feedback Score
    I seriously doubt it covers electronics warranty issues ..... those eBay sellers would go out of business fast if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    PayPal offers a 6 month money back guarantee on purchases through eBay.
    I`ve not seen it in writing, but eBay CS has mentioned it to me and I have gotten refunds in three cases of very small purchase amounts

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    What do you not like about mathfaster's suggestion to get an Amazon unlocked (with ads) G4 Play for $100 with Prime?

That's $50 cheaper than the without ads version:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ay_xt1607.html

and either of the above does GSM or CDMA.
    I'm not a prime member, so it wouldn't really be $50 cheaper, and I really wanted to have a clean phone without any of the ads or clutter that come on carrier phones.

I do appreciate the suggestion by mathfaster though. It is a good suggestion and I am open to hearing suggestions from everyone and do appreciate it, so please don't be offended if I don't take any of you all's suggestions, I still appreciate hearing them.

Feedback Score
    The Verizon G4 Play can actually be used on GSM if sim unlocked. It can access data but can't make calls. If you use WhatsApp or one of the other text/calling apps you can make phone calls too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryoham12 View Post
    The Verizon G4 Play can actually be used on GSM if sim unlocked. It can access data but can't make calls. If you use WhatsApp or one of the other text/calling apps you can make phone calls too.
    That is true. I used a Tracfone AT&T sim in the sim-unlocked Verizon Moto G4 Play I got in DG on Black Friday. Even though you can make calls with WhatsApp, you couldn't use it to call landlines or to call people who don't have WhatsApp. So it's very limited for GSM use as you point out.

Feedback Score
    You can overcome that limitation by using Google Voice/Hangouts/Dialer. The other end doesn't have to have Google anything .

Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    That is true. I used a Tracfone AT&T sim in the sim-unlocked Verizon Moto G4 Play I got in DG on Black Friday. Even though you can make calls with WhatsApp, you couldn't use it to call landlines or to call people who don't have WhatsApp. So it's very limited for GSM use as you point out.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can overcome that limitation by using Google Voice/Hangouts/Dialer. The other end doesn't have to have Google anything .
    My brother in Australia likes to use Whatsapp because he can call almost any country. I don't like it because I have to be on Wifi or data when he calls me, and there's usually a lag. I set him up with a GV number so he can call me using Hangouts, the quality is much better. He can also call my parents on their land line.

Feedback Score
    That's good to know. Thanks! Does he have a US number or Australian number for GV?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My brother in Australia likes to use Whatapps because he can call almost any country. I don't like it because I have to be on Wifi or data when he calls me, and there's usually a lag. I set him up with a GV number so he can call me using Hangouts, the quality is much better. He can also call my parents on their land line.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's good to know. Does he have a US number or Australian number for GV?
    There's no GV number for Australia. A US GV number is only issued to you if you have a real US phone number, but that requirement is easy to meet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Another consideration is screen size. The Moto G4 is 5.5" and the Moto X Pure is 5.7". To each their own, but I would not like anything much over 5".
    I have both, the phones are almost exactly the same size, only the resolution and screen is larger on the Pure. I would not get the G4 over a Pure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast