Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is the Moto G series the only budget phone that's quad carrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    So you had 11GB free internal storage out of the box out of 16GB total?
    How much do you have free now?
    The amount left after subtracting the OS does not include the factory installed apps, so the net storage would have been less than 11GB. I did not note the amount out of the box for comparison. It is now 10.96 - 3.96 = 7.0 usable.

That should be plenty enough if I don't add any really big apps. Good thing too, as you can't move any apps to the SD card in MM like you could do before.

Feedback Score
    Just thought of this question, anyone know if there's a difference among all the mentioned phones in regard to the reception for the network? I am frequently in an area that's kind of far from towers and often get a low signal with other cheap phones. Also, for WiFi signals? Does dual-band make any difference in strength of signal for WiFi networks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by myun View Post
    Just thought of this question, anyone know if there's a difference among all the mentioned phones in regard to the reception for the network? I am frequently in an area that's kind of far from towers and often get a low signal with other cheap phones. Also, for WiFi signals? Does dual-band make any difference in strength of signal for WiFi networks?
    I can only speak to the Moto X Pure. Network reception is really tough to comment on. I can only compare to my old Samsung S4. With the phones side by side, the Moto seems to have more bars, most of the time. I have seen instances where I had no bars with the S4 and 1 bar with the Moto. But, bars really may not mean much. Using signal strength apps don't really show much difference.

WiFi is a different story. When I move upstairs (my router is downstairs) my S4 loses signal. Both bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The Moto gets a good 2.4 GHz signal and a poor but usable 5 GHz signal.

The dual band capability may or may not be useful. The 5 GHz freq is less "noisy" and not as "cluttered" with other devices like cordless phones and garage door openers, but it has less range than the 2.4 GHz freq. Kinda depends on your environment. The 5 GHz band is recommended for gaming and video streaming as there is less packet loss.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, cv91913, for your input on your experience with reception.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know why when I went to Best Buy, the sales guy at the mobile phone area told me that the unlocked Moto phones could not be used on Verizon or on any provider such as Tracfone that used Verizon towers. He said Verizon just started this policy recently and would not activate any unlocked GSM phones. I told him this was an unlocked CDMA phone, it just happened to work on the GSM also, but their website says the Moto G4 and Moto X Pure work on Verizon and Sprint and AT&T and T-Mobile. He said they don't work on Verizon or Sprint and that he's had customers returning the phones because Verizon won't activate them. He said the only unlocked phones Verizon will activate are the Samsung Galaxy Edge phones because they're flagship phones.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know why when I went to Best Buy, the sales guy at the mobile phone area told me that the unlocked Moto phones could not be used on Verizon or on any provider such as Tracfone that used Verizon towers. He said Verizon just started this policy recently and would not activate any unlocked GSM phones. I told him this was an unlocked CDMA phone, it just happened to work on the GSM also, but their website says the Moto G4 and Moto X Pure work on Verizon and Sprint and AT&T and T-Mobile. He said they don't work on Verizon or Sprint and that he's had customers returning the phones because Verizon won't activate them. He said the only unlocked phones Verizon will activate are the Samsung Galaxy Edge phones because they're flagship phones.
    Probably because he's an idiot.

Feedback Score
    That's nonsense. My Moto G4 is on TF using Verizon. It passed the compability test and I activated it using the TF site with no issues.

I do know that some Moto G4/Plus users were having issues getting their phones activated with Verizon when the phones first came out. The Verizon database wasn't recognizing the phones. People had to go to Verizon corporate stores to activate them. I don't know about now but the workaround then was to activate the sim in another phone and then put it in the Moto G4/Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Probably because he's an idiot.
    BB does have some real idiots in phone sales. Waste of time mentioning an MVNO anyplace that sells major carrier service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    BB does have some real idiots in phone sales. Waste of time mentioning an MVNO anyplace that sells major carrier service.
    But, the thing is, I was just asking about using it on Verizon, I only asked about Tracfone after he continued to be so adamant about it not working on Verizon. And he said it would not work on Sprint either. It would only work on GSM, and the CDMA in it was only for international use. He sounded like he really knew what he was talking about and did not want me to buy the phone if I was planning on Verizon.

I went to a Verizon store and asked about what the Best Buy employee told me. He went in the back and checked and came back out and told me the the Moto X Pure can be used on Verizon with no problem, but I would not be able to activate the G4 series with Verizon, only with prepaid.

Feedback Score
    But, the thing is, I was just asking about using it on Verizon, I only asked about Tracfone after he continued to be so adamant about it not working on Verizon. And he said it would not work on Sprint either. It would only work on GSM, and the CDMA in it was only for international use. He sounded like he really knew what he was talking about and did not want me to buy the phone if I was planning on Verizon.

I went to a Verizon store and asked about what the Best Buy employee told me. He went in the back and checked and came back out and told me the the Moto X Pure can be used on Verizon with no problem, but I would not be able to activate the G4 series with Verizon, only with prepaid.
    Boy did he have it wrong! CDMA is only used in the US. International is GSM.

Feedback Score
    Was the Verizon store an Authorized Retailer or a company owned store? I have found some of the Authorized Retailers are just as inept as Best Buy. They maybe thought you were referring to the Verizon branded G4 Play? They don't sell the unlocked G4 or Play.

Feedback Score
    I don't know. How can you tell? It was just a store that said Verizon on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Was the Verizon store an Authorized Retailer or a company owned store? I have found some of the Authorized Retailers are just as inept as Best Buy. They maybe thought you were referring to the Verizon branded G4 Play? They don't sell the unlocked G4 or Play.

Feedback Score
    That's what I thought, but he said they use cdma in Japan and India
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Boy did he have it wrong! CDMA is only used in the US. International is GSM.

Feedback Score
    That's what I thought, but he said they use cdma in Japan and India
    Well, I was a bit too general. Yes CDMA is used in Japan and India as well as some Asian and African countries. But, for the most part, the rest of the world is GSM and even India is moving to more GSM.

Feedback Score
    Well, anyway, I'm confident that the Best Buy rep didn't know what he was talking about now. I just needed to make sure.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast