Thread: Reasons why people join Air Voice to begin with and why they leave?

Feedback Score

Reasons why people join Air Voice to begin with and why they leave?

Every user has a different reason for picking or leaving a prepaid wireless carrier. What are or were your reasons for picking with and staying with or leaving Air Voice? I see two threads on porting out of AV and was wondering.

Sent from my LGLS676 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I started a new line with Airvoice ($10 plan) a few years ago for my mom's first cell phone. I chose Airvoice because they had (and still have) a good reputation for CS. (My mom lives far away, so I can't troubleshoot her phone/account for her. I wanted her to be able to call CS if/when she had any problems.)

I eventually ported my mom's line to H2O PAYGO ($10/90 days). She wasn't using her line very much, so she was accumulating a huge balance. H2O offers a better value PAYGO plan for low usage. Since she had some experience using her phone for a while, I/she felt confident moving to H2O. (She hasn't had to call them about anything.)

So, for me (my mom), I left Airvoice because it wasn't a good value for low usage accounts.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I agree their paygo offering is surpassed by h20s.The $1 a month service fee can be an issue too though Page Plus has a similar 50 cent a month charge. The AV paygo is with the exception of adding data the same rates from 2009.However in paygo we see 5 cents as the current mvno standard. The big guys don't even have paygo except gophone and they are 25 cents a minute!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Before we moved to Consumer Cellular, I had my iPhone on GoPhone's $45/mo plan and my wife's "I-hate-using-a-phone" dumbphone on AV's $10/250 plan. It worked out fine. But when dear wife moved to a Lumia, it was just about the same money to move both of us to CC and to simplify billing (don't have to deal with two companies or, at the time, hard caps). I also have my mom's "I-don't-need-a-cellphone-yes-I-do" dumbphone and a little-used dumbphone of mine on AV. Service has been fine; no complaints at all.

But my dumbphone is an unlocked early T-Mobile 3G phone that does not seem to make it past AT&T's 2G shutdown. So I'm going to have to push that one back to a T-Mo MVNO or go with another cheap dumbphone (like z Z223). But I'll leave my mom's phone on AV unless I can consolidate carriers somehow.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I think the early Tmobile 3g was the oddball now discontinued aws 1700/2100 channel that got refarmed to lte leaving such phones with 2g only.

Feedback Score
    Pretty much same here. Mom was on $10/month and accumulated lots of $$$. Their $10/90 day wasn't a good fit.
    So she's on H2O's $10 90 day plan

Feedback Score
    Ported to PureTalk as their $12.95* plan was a better fit for our needs.

*Replaced by a $15.00 600 minute 100Mb plan. We are grandfathered in under the old terms.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 01-10-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: 600 MINUTES

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Airvoice paygo is still 10 cents a minute (still expensive). Their high end plans just don't cut it. The only plan that seems decent is the $10 plan but red pocket seems to be challenging them now. The only advantage they have is good cs (no experience with them). As I have said before good cs doesn't really matter if they don't have good value plans to bring people in.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    good cs doesn't really matter if they don't have good value plans to bring people in.
    I understand what you're saying. But there are lots of people in the market for any product or service who are able and willing to pay a little more for a hassle-free experience. Lexus, Apple, any really nice hotel chain, ...

For minimal-use phones, AV's prices may not be the rock-bottom or their packages killer values. But I know if I have to call CS (and I have) I will be end up talking with someone I can understand and who can (and does) resolve the situation. From what I've read here, I won't get that from H2O or TracFone.

Feedback Score
    I switched from my AT&T GoPhone pay-as-you-go plan to Airvoice to save money. Extending the service period on AT&T costs $25 for 90 days, or $100 for a year, plus taxes and fees (so roughly $108). Airvoice costs $10 for 90 days, and taxes and fees presumably come out of that (the per-month charge), so it is a big savings for my relatively low-usage. AT&T also no longer offers the ten cents per minute flat rate, so unless you are grandfathered in (like I used to be) it's also more expensive per minute than Airvoice.

I'll likely switch away from Airvoice soon because of AT&T's 2G shutdown (and Airvoice's lack of notification regarding it). I was using an old Verizon model Galaxy S3, which supported GSM but not W-CDMA. I have an older phone (running android froyo) that supports it, but the sim card slot is different. So while it works when I set the sim card in and line everything up, it's not ideal.

Not really a knock against Airvoice, but if I'm going to have to get a new sim card anyway, I might as well switch to a service that charges about the same and works with my preferred phone.