Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Volte??

Feedback Score
    I agree with you guys. Verizon HD voice is good Sprint is better. Sprint CDMA voice is ok better than Verizon for sure that was one god-awful sound quality. Sprint's not great but they're clear enough. There is two boys however is insanely clear sounds like I'm in the same room with the person. Not quite as clear as TMobile but very darn close. I was very impressed with it Sprint HD voice. I just wish the carriers always use HD voice for every call. Don't know what I don't if it's available the sound that good every cause it sounded good but none of them do it. Any light on that. By the way I think Bruce is awesome too. Or mine I turn off data for roaming so it doesn't run up their bills but nice to have it for calls and texts and that's what matters anyway I need to focus more on their unlimited plan and there Boost Mobile service and include all kinds fees than they normally charge in their bills like T-Mobile does and just charge taxes on there postpaid plans iPhone prepaid so instead of paying $70 after 68 about 63. Overall Sprint is a good carrier

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Not everywhere. It is not ready for prime time here anyway. I have turned it off on quite a few phones here just outside Wash DC because it is too inconsistent/unreliable.

I'm seriously considering switching to AT&T. (via Cricket/H20 Wireless) Been testing against my Verizon phone for 2 months now & finding

-Reliability as good & even better in some Verizon weak spots (especially in the boonies)
    -Great sound quality(comes darn close to VoLTE-much better than 2g)
    -Simultaneous surf & talk

Agree that Sprint likely needs better LTE coverage before implementing VoLTE, especially since there is no hand-off capability with CDMA (call will drop if LTE is lost)
    I think it also depends on what handset you're using. I had a ton of problems with VoLTE on my LGG3, but the Pixel XL works great all the time.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE_A View Post
    Flagship phones? Most phones on Boost, other than iPhones are limited to 16GB memory, and Sprint phones cannot be BYOD'd to Boost.

Sprint plots strategy for Virgin's relaunch as Boost returns to growth

Not sure which phone you are using, but I find Sprint's HD Voice to sound great, much better than Verizon CDMA.
    The iPhone is a huge exception, but I think you get the point I was trying to make. With Sprint's pitifully small network and extremely crazed device regulations, if they offered decent roaming on Boost/Virgin most folks would have so little reason to pick postpaid. All you really get with Sprint postpaid is the very nice ability to fallback on VZW roaming.

Also, your story was posted as I typed my response yesterday. Also, I haven't even finished reading it, but the fact the title says "... as Boost returns to growth" clearly shows they let it rot a long while.

Feedback Score
    Flagship phones? Most phones on Boost, other than iPhones are limited to 16GB memory, and Sprint phones cannot be BYOD'd to Boost.
    Most newer Sprint phones can be BYOD'd to Boost, not just the ones on the official list. They also have a BYOD program for devices like the Galaxy S7, iPhones with CDMA, Moto G4, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    The iPhone is a huge exception, but I think you get the point I was trying to make. With Sprint's pitifully small network and extremely crazed device regulations, if they offered decent roaming on Boost/Virgin most folks would have so little reason to pick postpaid. All you really get with Sprint postpaid is the very nice ability to fallback on VZW roaming.
    I agree that Sprint needs to offer full roaming on Boost/Virgin, their native network is simply too by itself. I would be okay with AT&T's native network on Cricket, Verizon's native network on Verizon Prepaid, even T-Mobile's native network on Metro, but not Sprint's.

I apologize if my previous comment came off as being a jerk, that was not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by SMFD21 View Post
    Most newer Sprint phones can be BYOD'd to Boost, not just the ones on the official list.
    Do you work for Boost? Is the Motorola Moto G4 confirmed to work with Boost? All variants, or just certain ones?

Feedback Score
    Do you work for Boost? Is the Motorola Moto G4 confirmed to work with Boost? All variants, or just certain ones?
    I'm sure all variants of the G4 with CDMA would work, but the G4 and G4 plus are the ones on our BYOD list. I work at a Boost store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMFD21 View Post
    I'm sure all variants of the G4 with CDMA would work, but the G4 and G4 plus are the ones on our BYOD list. I work at a Boost store.
    All unlocked u.s. models of the g4 support CDMA and bands 25 26 and 41. The only exception to the list would be the Verizon XT 1609 Moto g4 play.

Feedback Score
    The trouble that I would see you at this and to me that is not important at all but the trouble I would see is that I've noticed that the signal indicator on LTE is very bouncy meaning that it can show the bars at my house and then move one more than two bars in one bar then no bars then one bar then no bars just by moving a little bit it is very jumpy as I said I would assume that even when it says no bars it still has LTE don't know though

Feedback Score
    To the person that talk about Cricket yes cooking is amazing and they're cheaper than Verizon B they have better sound quality than Verizon and I could swear it the third Nationwide Network not including Verizon's roaming with US Cellular and others but their home network is better than Verizon so Cricket is probably the cheapest provider that provides the absolute greatest service of all time. Before I switched over to Sprint in order for them to buy out my contract I was so close to switching to Cricket only one place I know that didn't have service and no major carrier has service Verizon and Sprint get the room on Carolina West Wireless so that's why I ended up with Sprint and I didn't have the money to pay the early termination fees and stuff but I was very very close to getting Cricket I was very impressed with them a service like Cricket has no need for fault either very clear call Quality the only one that's clear is T-Mobile especially when to T-Mobile phones talk to each other. HD voice Sprint to Sprint is also incredibly clear

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint1 View Post
    I agree with you guys. Verizon HD voice is good Sprint is better. Sprint CDMA voice is ok better than Verizon for sure that was one god-awful sound quality. Sprint's not great but they're clear enough. There is two boys however is insanely clear sounds like I'm in the same room with the person. Not quite as clear as TMobile but very darn close. I was very impressed with it Sprint HD voice. I just wish the carriers always use HD voice for every call. Don't know what I don't if it's available the sound that good every cause it sounded good but none of them do it. Any light on that. By the way I think Bruce is awesome too. Or mine I turn off data for roaming so it doesn't run up their bills but nice to have it for calls and texts and that's what matters anyway I need to focus more on their unlimited plan and there Boost Mobile service and include all kinds fees than they normally charge in their bills like T-Mobile does and just charge taxes on there postpaid plans iPhone prepaid so instead of paying $70 after 68 about 63. Overall Sprint is a good carrier

I agree that Sprint's HD voice implementation sounds awesome -- and Sprint in general has always had better voice quality than Verizon and other CDMA carriers in general and is similar to AT&T, which has improved their voice quality by leaps and bounds over the years. T-Mobile however probably has the best voice quality in the industry as they have made upgrades across the network. So although it's no longer a runaway (Sprint's voice quality used to blow away pretty much all the other carriers -- but the GSM carriers in particular have caught up and T-Mobile has eclipsed Sprint).

The big issue with Sprint's HD voice is that it is based on the CDMA2000 upgrade path using the EVRC-NW protocol on 1x Advanced -- while the other 3 have based their HD Voice on the AMR-WB protocol which is part of GSM and LTE. This essentially means that you are only able to use Sprint's HD Voice when calling other Sprint customers, or possibly in the future other carriers who are using EVRC-NW (which I am not sure if anyone else is). I'm not sure if Verizon and the GSM carriers have opened up inter-carrier HD Voice using AMR-WB, but when/if they do, there will be a lot more potential phones to call in HD since all the other major carriers are using the other standard. IIRC, Sprint had to wait for iPhone compatibility for EVRC-NW in the 6, while the others were able to get it in the 5 (or was that 5S) since the first version or two of HD capable iPhones only supported AMR-WB. Luckily I know tons of people with Sprint since they aren't bad around here at all, so I end up with plenty of HD Voice on calls, so the cross-carrier HD Voice isn't a huge issue right now.

My only real gripe about their HD Voice is that it takes 4-5 seconds to initialize, sometimes doesn't come in at all if you have less than 3 bars, and if you do have it then travel to an area with less than 3 bars it starts burping and dropping for a period until it kicks back down to regular EVRC. In addition, if Sprint ever does get VoLTE, I'm not sure if LTE can support EVRC-NW, so I'm not sure if that will make a situation where legacy HD Voice equipment no longer works unless it is VoLTE capable, or if one party is on CDMA and the other is on LTE there ends up being no HD voice...

N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellLyfe View Post
    Yeah and it sounds like popcorn crackling in a microwave. Sounds terrible.
    Sprint 1x voice is horrible. I hate calling Sprint customers.

Even worse are Verizon customers who don't have VoLTE enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus

AT&T LTE B2 2x20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sx10 View Post
    I think it also depends on what handset you're using. I had a ton of problems with VoLTE on my LGG3, but the Pixel XL works great all the time.
    Never had any VoLTE issues on AT&T with the last few iPhones and recent Galaxies.

Verizon VoLTE was mediocre when it launched, but those issues have been ironed out. I haven't experienced a dropped call for awhile now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    soo when is Sprint going to offer VOLTE? the other carriers been had it along with prepiads Metro PCS and VZW..
    I would love to see Sprint deploy it as opt-in. They seem to have zero confidence in their network. Even TMobile launched it on their spotty network.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    Sprint 1x voice is horrible. I hate calling Sprint customers.

Even worse are Verizon customers who don't have VoLTE enabled.
    I can recall the arguments over which voice sounded better CDMA or GSM. With CDMA it's really about the voice CODEC chosen. It can be very good but most operators pick highly compressed CODECs.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    For call quality I prefer att and T-Mobile. CDMA seemed really good for not having dropped calls(very few) back when dropped calls were the norm. I haven't been all that impressed with vote at least not yet.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast