Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My upcoming transfer of svc from PagePlus to TF

Feedback Score

My upcoming transfer of svc from PagePlus to TF

Sorry if this seems simpleton territory, but I'd rather ask now than foul-up later.

My Mrs. is on TF. Should I add my current phone to her account?

Or set up my own TF acc't? (I'll be funding my new TF svc with the cards from the early Nov '16 bargain bonanza from Family Dollar.)

A chat with PP just now said that all I need to do is contact TF and give them my phone # and PIN.

Seems way, way too easy.

Your kind advice will be much appreciated, y'all.
    Chaz

P.S. My phone is an LG Ultimate 2 - LG41C - so no SIM is involved.

Feedback Score
    I would put them both in the same account for convenience. You can always undo that later .

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I agree to put them on the same account. That way you can see info about both phones in the app. I have 5 active phones and at least 10 inactive phones currently on my account.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone is very good at tying people together, so there would be little chance of success in trying to stay dis-connected from your wife.

Feedback Score
    Huh? ......... What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone is very good at tying people together, so there would be little chance of success in trying to stay dis-connected from your wife.
    Cheers!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Huh? ......... What do you mean by this?
    It hasn`t happened lately, possibly because no one gets into Tracfone`s pocket like in the past. There were old cases where people had every Tracfone and Net10 phone connected to them bricked by Tracfone. In the past Tracfone prevented your purchasing unlimited phones no matter what steps a person took to be anonymous. Don`t ask me to explain how they did it, no one ever understood their methods.

I always saw this as a disadvantage to helping others, as their phones could be bricked along with yours.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It hasn`t happened lately, possibly because no one gets into Tracfone`s pocket like in the past. There were old cases where people had every Tracfone and Net10 phone connected to them bricked by Tracfone. In the past Tracfone prevented your purchasing unlimited phones no matter what steps a person took to be anonymous. Don`t ask me to explain how they did it, no one ever understood their methods.

I always saw this as a disadvantage to helping others, as their phones could be bricked along with yours.
    I recall that TF use to have a disclaimer of sorts to the effect of you were allowed 6 phones but each must be activated within a certain time period or you were prohibited from buying anymore. Seems we've been around too long, Tracfancier.....but still enjoying it for the mst part.

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of this happening. I've had multiple active/inactive phones in my account for years without any issues like this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There were old cases where people had every Tracfone and Net10 phone connected to them bricked by Tracfone. In the past Tracfone prevented your purchasing unlimited phones no matter what steps a person took to be anonymous.
    There used to be a warning somewhere on TF web site or T.O.S. that if you bought many phones BUT DON'T ACTIVATE THEM, they can refuse to sell you more phones. That was to prevent people from buying a phone + card/PIN bundle but only use the card/PIN. I've never heard of people getting their phones bricked from buying too many phones.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I`m talking about people outright scamming Tracfone, not just buying too many phones. Tracfone used to be a lot more vindictive toward anyone they saw as getting the best of them by taking advantage of countless glitches. My main point was that Tracfone had the ability to root out all the phones you had with them, no matter the precautions you took. At the time there was only Tracfone and Net10. Net10 was mostly glitch free, so no one got the best of Net10, but still Tracfone bricked even their Net10 phones in retaliation. Things have changed for the better.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure most of us remember when you could buy a minute card from TF and they would throw in a cheap moto or nokia. People were buying the cards, then banking them while activating the phone for the 20min/60days that TF used to include...that sort of thing would get you in jeopardy with Carlos. And no, to whom it may concern, I did not participate. My most questionable 'offense' IMHO was taking advantage of the FD glitch, cuz everyone else was doing it.

Feedback Score
    Well then. Two tries online to get my phone # and Ultimate 2 activated on Tracfone ended in failure.

Oh merde - time to call Tracfone customer (dis)service.

First call - rep said that, according to the Net10 database and the IMEI that I gave her, my U2 had never been scanned. After ~20 minutes of around and around, I thanked her and said goodbye.

Second call - rep said the same thing, Never scanned. This rep was friendly and seemed to want to help, so I eventually activated my ZTE ZMax2. (There were some hoops to get through even with that phone because it had been part of a Home Shopping Network bundle for my Mrs.)

The ZMax2 is too big, I've decided. (Love the display, but not the form factor.)

I've now gone to the attic and retrieved all my U2 materials, including the Best Buy bill of sale, which shows the scanning of the package with the same IMEI that the TF reps said had never been scanned.

Went to the BB store where I bought the phone. No help (and I hope that I can stay strong and NEVER set foot in that store [or any BB store] again).

OK, that's my drama. But what is going on? This U2 was fine on PagePlus for ~1.5 years. Now I've been told twice by TF reps that it was never scanned.

Is this a case of Slim Locking?

How can I get the U2 activated on TF?

Time invested in this problem is way out of hand. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Slim-lock applies to BYOPs/non-TracFone branded phones and should not be used here to prevent confusion.

Maybe your phone is considered to be a PP phone since you used it on PP and it's not possible to use it outside PP. TracFones bought under one sub-brand could not be used under another previously and I'm not aware that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by chazz101s View Post
    Well then. Two tries online to get my phone # and Ultimate 2 activated on Tracfone ended in failure.

Oh merde - time to call Tracfone customer (dis)service.

First call - rep said that, according to the Net10 database and the IMEI that I gave her, my U2 had never been scanned. After ~20 minutes of around and around, I thanked her and said goodbye.

Second call - rep said the same thing, Never scanned. This rep was friendly and seemed to want to help, so I eventually activated my ZTE ZMax2. (There were some hoops to get through even with that phone because it had been part of a Home Shopping Network bundle for my Mrs.)

The ZMax2 is too big, I've decided. (Love the display, but not the form factor.)

I've now gone to the attic and retrieved all my U2 materials, including the Best Buy bill of sale, which shows the scanning of the package with the same IMEI that the TF reps said had never been scanned.

Went to the BB store where I bought the phone. No help (and I hope that I can stay strong and NEVER set foot in that store [or any BB store] again).

OK, that's my drama. But what is going on? This U2 was fine on PagePlus for ~1.5 years. Now I've been told twice by TF reps that it was never scanned.

Is this a case of Slim Locking?

How can I get the U2 activated on TF?

Time invested in this problem is way out of hand. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Slim-lock applies to BYOPs/non-TracFone branded phones and should not be used here to prevent confusion.

Maybe your phone is considered to be a PP phone since you used it on PP and it's not possible to use it outside PP. TracFones bought under one sub-brand could not be used under another previously and I'm not aware that changed.
    I've always understood the term to apply to both situations and circumstances and it's often been used to cover both situations. I wouldn't think there's any need to redefine it more precisely. The OP was clear about what was happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz101s View Post
    This U2 was fine on PagePlus for ~1.5 years. Now I've been told twice by TF reps that it was never scanned.
    What was the original branding when bought at Best Buy? Tracfone, Net10, and Straight Talk branded phones could be activated on Page Plus if not first activated on their own service because it was not using the same database. If you did not buy a TracFone version that might explain the rejection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast