Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cricket priority on network

Feedback Score
    My cricket problems were on an iPhone 6s+ AT&T model. 2 bars LTE at home and 4 bars (dots) 4G. No problems with making calls or data (except during times of congestion). I would sometimes have incoming calls go straight to voicemail which was irritating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    My cricket problems were on an iPhone 6s+ AT&T model. 2 bars LTE at home and 4 bars (dots) 4G. No problems with making calls or data (except during times of congestion). I would sometimes have incoming calls go straight to voicemail which was irritating.
    Did you have a postpaid AT&T phone beside you at the same time and it was receiving calls at the same time and data was faster at the same time? Unless you did it is hard to scientifically say that Cricket was actually being "deprioritized" on the network. People always have these tales of "I was at the airport and it was slow" and blame Cricket but it's never very scientific.

Feedback Score
    I have experienced the voice call prority issue fairly frequently with Cricket and it is irritating. I don't mind the slowing of data but dial out failures andincoming call going to voicemail is not good. Not every will experience these problems as it probaby depends on the amount of local congestion. I will eventually be moving on because of this issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    But to understand why one person thinks they experience penumbratic deprioritization while most never see the issue, you can't fully ignore the insertion of proxima servers into the equation.
    Yeah, but NOBODY expects the Stack Overflow Penumbra!

That said, considering I've never *ever* seen a speedtest over 4.5Mbps down on LTE on either phone on my account (while getting uploads of 16+Mbps), I haven't really thought about being screwed on Cricket ...

... until now.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I really wanted cricket to be a good service for me but I guess I will just stay with GoPhone. Haven't had any issues with it like I had with cricket.
    Yeah, if you can live with the lower data for what you pay with Gophone, I hear it is somewhat better in certain regards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Yeah, if you can live with the lower data for what you pay with Gophone, I hear it is somewhat better in certain regards.
    GP has gotten better in terms of data offered.

Basically cutting through it>>>>>

GoPhone:
    (+) Full LTE Speed
    (+) Slightly better pings (not too noticeable in real world usage)
    (+) Allows tethering
    (-) Higher cost
    (-) Smaller data bucket
    (=) No roaming

Cricket:
    (+) More Data
    (+) Lower Cost
    (+) Referral Bonus
    (+) History of offering interesting deals on discounted phones (wasn't great this year though)
    (-) speeds throttled to 8mbps
    (-) higher pings (not too noticeable in real world usage)
    (-) Tethering not available on all plans and required addl cost
    (=) no roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    This question gets asked several times a year since the new Cricket was formed. I have never heard or read any confirmation by AT&T or Cricket via the TOS, investor calls, press releases, etc., that states that AT&T postpaid has network priority over Cricket or GoPhone.

I think everyone assumes so because T-mobile does prioritize and addresses this in their TOS:

How does MetroPCS address network priority for its brands?

To differentiate services we sell under the MetroPCS brand name from services we sell under other brand names, we give data of customers who choose T-Mobile-branded services precedence over data of customers who choose non-T-Mobile-branded services (including MetroPCS) when our network is presented with competing demands. Where the network is lightly loaded, a customer on those brands will notice little, if any, effect from having lower priority. This will be the case in the vast majority of times and locations. At times and at locations where the network is heavily loaded in relation to available capacity, however, those customers will likely see reductions in data speeds, especially if they are engaged in data-intensive activities. MetroPCS constantly works to improve network performance and capacity, but there are physical and technical limits on how much capacity is available, and at constrained locations, the frequency of heavy loading in relation to available capacity may be greater than at other locations. When network loading goes down or those customers moves to a location that is less heavily loaded in relation to available capacity, those customers’ speeds will likely improve.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    (-) Tethering not available on all plans and required addl cost
    Or "Not all plans have tether, and it is only allowed on a limited list of devices".

That being said, we can see in these forums and elsewhere that many DO tether on any Cricket plan with any device at will, despite it being prohibited in the TOS (until recently.... they actually started to crack down on this, mainly on those who tether on devices that aren't phones).

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    I have never heard or read any confirmation by AT&T or Cricket via the TOS, investor calls, press releases, etc., that states that AT&T postpaid has network priority over Cricket or GoPhone.
    Nor have I but my personal experience and those of others are certainly pointing to some type of issue that's happening far more frequently with Cricket than AT&T or GoPhone. The lack of confirmation from AT&T isn't necessarily proof there isn't an issue.

Device(s)
    LG F3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I think sometimes when people think that Cricket is being deprioritized, it has to do with the proxy you are on being overloaded.. Easy fix for this is to toggle airplane mode on/off to get on a different proxy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For me up in Portland, OR Cricket has pings of 110 to 150ms+, in Grants Pass, OR up to 1,000ms. Straight Talk for some reason recently did some backend work and lowered pings to between 65-75ms up here, H2O has 70-80ms ping, and my AT&T Business line has 29-32ms ping. Supposedly as I have tested AT&T business does get the highest priority according to Ping.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I'm reviving this thread because of the switch-over to AT&T servers. I haven't seen anyone complain about 'calls go straight to voice mail' who are on, or moved over to, the new servers. If issues remain there certainly appears to be much less of it. Ironically, it's possible service is improving on the old servers ... less demand, albeit temporary.

Some pointed to proxy servers as the probable culprit which now seems to be validated. Some NEVER had the issue, others suggested congestion. I experienced it first hand, became frustrated with Cricket's excuses, and changed carriers. That's the great thing about pre-paid: moving is a quick, effective solution.

Cricket/AT&T never acknowledged this (as far as I know) yet the proxy transition seems more than coincidence. I'm speculating they knew Jasper/XO wasn't getting the job done and eventually took action. Subscribers lived with it since cost trumped expectations, the old 'you get what you pay for', while others really had few issues.

To those who were vocal in their criticism of Cricket, it seems you were right all along despite accusations from others. It sure seems like there were inherent problems known by them. I'll give Cricket a thumb's up however for finally addressing it.

Just don't get the old SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    I'm reviving this thread because of the switch-over to AT&T servers. I haven't seen anyone complain about 'calls go straight to voice mail' who are on, or moved over to, the new servers. If issues remain there certainly appears to be much less of it. Ironically, it's possible service is improving on the old servers ... less demand, albeit temporary.

Some pointed to proxy servers as the probable culprit which now seems to be validated. Some NEVER had the issue, others suggested congestion. I experienced it first hand, became frustrated with Cricket's excuses, and changed carriers. That's the great thing about pre-paid: moving is a quick, effective solution.

Cricket/AT&T never acknowledged this (as far as I know) yet the proxy transition seems more than coincidence. I'm speculating they knew Jasper/XO wasn't getting the job done and eventually took action. Subscribers lived with it since cost trumped expectations, the old 'you get what you pay for', while others really had few issues.

To those who were vocal in their criticism of Cricket, it seems you were right all along despite accusations from others. It sure seems like there were inherent problems known by them. I'll give Cricket a thumb's up however for finally addressing it.

Just don't get the old SIM.
    Nice write-up. I was personally affected by many problems with Cricket in the past. So much so, that I would port out and then a month or 2 later I would port back in with a new account and give it another try, rinse and repeat. The new SIM was the savior for me. With the AT&T servers and voLTE, I have not had a single issue and the service has improved so much. I was a very vocal complainer about cricket. Now I have nothing to complain about.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I have not had a single issue and the service has improved so much. I was a very vocal complainer about cricket. Now I have nothing to complain about.
    That's the beauty about competition. If Cricket had none I question just how quickly they would of addressed it.

It's looking likely they knew they had a problem, never disclosed it, left customer support in the dark as they fielded countless hours from unhappy customers, then eventually decided enough is enough. You know, how corporate America works these days.

In the interim, people were dismissively told 'it's your hardware', 'it happens', 'network issues' from tech support, etc. when in truth the mothership knew the real issue.

I hope I'm wrong . Also hoping people had the common sense to take their business elsewhere and didn't run out and buy another phone only to discover it didn't make any difference.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Well, I posted about my wife's phone missing calls a few weeks ago, it was the first time we had noticed it and her phone was on the new AT&T servers (using the website to check). Another member of our group save mentioned to me the other day that he's noticed service got worse for him recently, as we were all happy with the service a few months ago and this seems to have started happening NOW. Its like your service improved and mine declined. Odd.

For what its worth, we're all using the old SIM, but it seems we got ported over to the new servers a while back, complete with VM service upgrade etc. When I first heard about the new SIMs, I was excited to try it until I saw that someone recommended a website to report whether you are on the new servers or Jasper, and we were on AT&T (the new server) already. Unless there is something about the new SIM that makes it work better? I was under the impression that the SIMs don't matter, it was just that the new ones are already on the new servers whereas the old ones would have to wait until their provisioning system got around to it.

As for VoLTE... My wife is using an LG X Power from Cricket, I'm using a Nextbit Robin and the other guy is using a Moto G4. All technically support VoLTE hardware and software wise, but I've been told that Cricket only offers the service on a very select few handsets, of which it seem to be limited to ones that came from them (aside from the iPhone models, apparently). Is that what I'm missing? Did it get better only for those of you who have specific handsets that Cricket allows on their VoLTE services?
    OR do I need a white SIM?
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast