Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 200gb lose your unlimited by feb 16,2017

Feedback Score
    I don't think data plans need to be labeled as unlimited but at least make them realistic...after Verizon stopped UDP, it was only 2GB for $30 offered. My line is still unlimited and $50. I used probably 20GB a month on the phone itself of data and like not having to worry about it.

If they want people to stop using large amounts of data, why do they allow the sim cards to work in other devices like the jetpack hotspots? The sim cards on T-Mobile won't work on other devices for which they are not intended.
    Last edited by johnothy; 01-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    That is the market rate for UDP now according to Verizon.
    It might be the rate they charge a small number of legacy customers, but it isn't the market rate. Things are sold below market rate all the time- sometimes to everyone, sometimes to just a small number of people selected using various methods.

As an analogy, if a company offers employees stock options at $5, but the general public buying through a broker has to pay $50, the market rate is $50, not $5. No sane person would argue that the general public is getting ripped off when they pay $50; they'd say those employees are effectively getting a $45 discount.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Because they've trained users that using ~2GB a month is perfectly acceptable, and trained users to use WiFi when at home, work, grocery store, mall, airport, hotel, etc. Basically they only expect you to use cellular data when in a car or middle of nowhere. Compare this to voice and texting years ago and it was all over their network. Data has gotten cheaper per GB to carry over the air, the carriers are just great at ripping off customers. Why else is T-Mobile offering 28GB unthrottled data for the same price as a few gigs on Verizon or AT&T?
    Has wireless data really gotten cheaper? Yes, wired data has gotten cheaper, but after including the cost for spectrum, equipment upgrades, and the costs to build more towers, how much cheaper has data gotten? I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

And if demand for data is increasing faster than the supply is able to be increased, you generally expect prices to raise (or at least not fall).

As for why T-Mobile is cheaper, if they're really providing an equivalent service, why is anyone complaining? Switch to T-mobile and be done with it. No doubt Verizon has been able to capitalize on their reputation as a market leader in coverage, but I refuse to believe 100 million people are simply irrationally picking Verizon over a competitor. Some people do it because they provide either better coverage or better speeds where they use their service. Others may actually find Verizon being cheaper than one or more of the competitors.

Despite my defense of Verizon's business practices, I hate the company. I would much rather switch to Project Fi. But, that would actually be more expensive. T-mobile or Sprint individually would be a bit cheaper, but I'd run into coverage problems with either of those (mitigated somewhat by the ability to switch between those carriers and US Cellular on Fi). I think Verizon has apparently decided that they can make things better for a larger set of customers by focusing on multi-line accounts with small-to-moderate data usage levels. Presumably they figure they can, on average, accomodate more light users at given price point than heavy users.

Do you think T-mobile and Sprint are offering unlimited data purely altruistically? Or, do you think they're instead working to maximize profit by going after a different market segment?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
    It might be the rate they charge a small number of legacy customers, but it isn't the market rate.
    According to Verizon it is. You are just making things up.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If that was the market rate, then anyone be able to buy it freely. If that was the market rate, then you wouldn't have "account scalpers" reselling or renting lines with significant mark-up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    VZW should cancels all the plans. I, thankfully do not have stock in them, but if I was an investor or had some ties to the company I would be worried at this point about management's sanity.
    You'd be worried about their sanity because they focus on the bottom line and remove some unprofitable accounts? Isn't management supposed to eliminate unprofitable activities while leaving profitable ones? I would be concerned about the sanity of eliminating profitable UDP's like you advocate.

This isn't the first round of cutting customers nor the first attempt at VZW to change the meaning of the world unlimited.
    They are not changing the meaning of unlimited. They are discontinuing the plan for certain customers. Period.

Please, show me any other carrier that has taken this many measures to weed out such a minority of customers.
    Here you go:

T-Mobile will now punish customers who abuse unlimited data

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/31/92...hering-warning

Happy now?

Also, on a monthly service plan, in most any industry, if you were booted off because of a company's internal policy despite not violating any other laws or rules, is unheard of.
    Heard of, unheard of, it doesn't matter. It's in the terms the customer agreed to. That's all that matters.

VZW is and always has used their status as a monopoly to bend and even violate rules.
    There's no rule that's being bent nor violated. Some people think they are entitled to unlimited data at one low price forever and ever and they get upset when they find out they are not so entitled. That's all it is.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Over 200 gigs for the month come and get me Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Over 200 gigs for the month come and get me Verizon
    They are at your doorstep

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    There's no rule that's being bent nor violated. Some people think they are entitled to unlimited data at one low price forever and ever and they get upset when they find out they are not so entitled. That's all it is.
    That seems to be the common theme. The UPD bought in the mid-2000s when smartphones were first coming out doesn't really hold water in comparison to the way data usage has exploded in the last few years, especially if some users are going to use it for unintended purposes like their main home internet and so on. The circumstances have completely changed and if you're going to try to game the system then don't act so surprised when you're called out for it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Xperia Z3 Compact, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon UDP, Bluegreen Mobile, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    That seems to be the common theme. The UPD bought in the mid-2000s when smartphones were first coming out doesn't really hold water in comparison to the way data usage has exploded in the last few years, especially if some users are going to use it for unintended purposes like their main home internet and so on. The circumstances have completely changed and if you're going to try to game the system then don't act so surprised when you're called out for it.
    Verizon had the opportunity to not offer UDP on 4G LTE devices. Nobody would have faulted them. Verizon accepted the responsibilities, and can end UDP for everyone off-contract with 30 days notice.

We just want to know fair rules of the road, so everyone, including the FCC, can give proper oversight.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    It was sold to me as a home internet replacement so why can't I use it that way and not everybody has other reliable choices when it comes to broadband

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It was sold to me as a home internet replacement so why can't I use it that way and not everybody has other reliable choices when it comes to broadband
    You certainly can, just as much as Verizon can decide they don't want to offer you that service anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Verizon accepted the responsibilities, and can end UDP for everyone off-contract with 30 days notice.
    Verizon can end UDP for anyone with a written notice. Contract or no contract.

We just want to know fair rules of the road, so everyone, including the FCC, can give proper oversight.
    Those are the rules. Verizon can end UDP for anyone with a written notice. If Verizon decides to keep offering you UDP, enjoy.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I think you're being disingenuous. I don't think there's a great mystery here that would be useful from an oversight perspective. It's pretty clear what's going on- if you use much more data than an average user, you could get kicked off your UDP. The specific threshold isn't particularly relevant from an oversight or regulatory perspective. It's mostly just relevant to customers that are trying to maximize their benefit without fear of losing the access to the discounted plan (relative to VZW's generally-available rates).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well it's not and it's not Verizon's problem or responsibility to do the job wired ISPs should be doing. Instead of begging for an inferior home product why not demand form wired ISP and your local and state governments that you get wired internet? funny that you're mad at Verizon who at least is providing you SOME service and not the local cable company which is basically telling you that you're money isn't green enough for them.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast