Thread: what are your MUST HAVE Android apps? (and what are they for)

Feedback Score

what are your MUST HAVE Android apps? (and what are they for)

Wasnt sure what other subforum to stick this under so just putting it here since it applies to all Android. :)

Self explanatory! What are YOUR must have android apps, and why/what are they used for?? Feel free to give a one or two line review or commentary on each, like "I researched all the other browsers and this is the best for low bandwidth use" or "of all the backup apps this is the only free one with these features" for instance.

Feel free to make the list as long as you want or add new things later (or even a revised complete list if this ends up a many paged monstrosity in the future) - i'm simply looking for a list of other peoples recommendations to look into myself, and if I find any good recommendations of myself i'll share them when I do my research myself. (though didnt feel like starting it because i'm so noobish I doubt I have much of anything of value to share)

You can include apps that are used for setting up a phone but which may not be ON the phone itself. (ie tools for the PC side that help you root) Heck you can even include advice for all I care about how you go about setting up a brand new phone/like an installation checklist of "be sure to do X before Y" notes. You might even include anecdotes or suggestions. (like for instance, I havent yet chosen a "blue light blocker" app which tones down the blue shades late at night, but I suggest people be aware of them to choose - scientific studies show that our melatonin releases and such is synched to normal daylight, which tends to have strong blue light in morning, and strong red light at sundown which helps us prepare for sleep - blue light late at night can cause insomnia and interrupted sleep)

----

EDIT: Argh 130 views and no responses yet. Okay i'll put in my own stuff but it's a short list and probably crap cuz i'm a phone dummy.

Firefox for now - I remember reading about some list of all the lighter weight browsers that both used reduced bandwidth via various means ('lite' website modes and such) and didn't use alot of RAM whether single tab or multitab, and I dont think firefox was first on anything but it was no worse than 2nd or 3rd on everything making it a really nice compromise.

Trillian as the most complete IM client - because you can access all those other IM setups (AIM, ICQ, or whatever - plus a native IM) from one client and can sign into multiple at once, even more than one AIM at the same time for instance under separate names. Major downsides - this sucks cpu like nobody's business on my previous phone, also the free version has ads and sometimes ditches 'old' messages that arent that old at all. I can't figure out what the cutoff is but if you dont log in daily you might miss something.

Link2SD - I haven't yet used, but i'm pretty sure will become imperative if supported on my phone I just havent gotten a new SD card to play with it yet. Lets you install and I believe migrate existing apps to the SD card, this makes the SD card sort of a permanent device though.

Google Hangouts/Google Voice - probably known by people here too but lets you do wifi VOIP calling obviously and control forwarding rules so that you dont use up cell minutes randomly

Gmail official app - because of the instant warnings of you receiving an email. If you set up separate email accounts so that you get warnings only from the 'important email' box this can be very useful communication. I have a few homeless friends that I had set up with Kindle 3 Keyboards - which had 'free' 50meg of web access/month enabled (feature removed from future versions) via 3G and they could email me and i'd see the warning pop up in near real time. (though theyve since had trouble with gmail/possibly gmail changing and i havent been able to troubleshoot to see if there's a workaround or if it's been permanently stopped as an option)

Google Maps used in offline mode - you can download areas of maps so they dont use any data at all though you lose weather and realtime traffic updates, and I think the ability to calculate alternate routes. Super useful if on tracfone or limited data.

other stuff i'm still researching or will be testing :)
    Last edited by unit_shifter; 01-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    opera mini - saves data
    firefox - save to pdf file transferred to a pc so i can print out a page on my printer.
    oi file manager - i like this better than the default.
    oi notepad - not all phones have an app to make text files.
    vlc - will play any video format.

Feedback Score
    Blackberry keyboard because I like it.
    Rocket browser because its light and fast.
    Navfree because it doesn't data to operate.
    Gasbuddy
    KeePassDroid
    Folio as a light weight FB app

Feedback Score
    I use several of the standard Android apps, Maps, calculator, calendar, camera, gallery, clock, voice recorder. They work well enough that I have never looked for replacements. I would like a good clock app that shows seconds.

Added Apps:
    TV Guide - I haven't found anything better for TV listings. Very handy when traveling to find the local channels.

Gmail and other dedicated email apps for my various emails

Roku - an extra Roku remote for $30 is too much for his and hers. I admit it. I am terrible about sharing the remote.

Here Maps - Great program with online and offline maps. It also has a speed alert that GMaps lacks. The speed limit can go from 55 to 25 in a short span around podunk towns. I don't need Barney Fife busting me speeding through their one-horse-ten-people-dung-hole town.

Weather Underground - The best weather app I have found.

Raindar - Quick and simple weather radar. It also has a traffic overlay. The radar has a setting to show storm tracks that show where the storm is predicted to be in 20, 40, and 60 minutes.

Privacy Flashlight for phones that don't have a flashlight widget - no ads and they claim to not use your info. It has few permissions.

Hangouts for GV VOIP calls as a backup. The UI stinks.

Cox Contour - I can watch live cable TV in "The Room with no TV" and never miss a play ;~> It only works at home.

Wifi Analyser to find free Wifi and analyze Wifi.

Google Sky Map - What's that thing in the night sky? Point the phone at it and see.

Tunein Radio - I just use it to get the local emergency services radio without using my dedicated scanner. It can be amusing in a schadenfreude sort of way to listen to the things stupid humans do on the Fourth of July and New Years.

Google Keep and Google Drive

Gas Buddy - prices around here can vary 15 cents between stations in a small radius.

Netflix - It is easier to use the mobile app to look for things to put in my queue than the PC web page, much easier than the Roku.

YouTube

xPiano - I'm a singer. What's that note? I need a new piano app. xPiano has not been maintained and can't be configured on newer phones without a menu button. I don't like pitch pipe apps.

Opera browser - It's a great mobile browser. I like the Speed Dial page. I'm used to it and don't have to hunt for how to do things. Firefox and Chrome are ok too. I just don't want to remember how to do things on three different browsers.

All of these fit on my 4 GB (1.7 user available) storage phones, except for Here offline maps. They can be stored on SD.

Feedback Score
    Firefox
    GasBuddy
    MAPS.ME
    Edit: Forgot Weather & Clock Widget Android by Devexpert.NET I like a large neon green digital clock on home screen.

That's about it. Most all other MUST HAVES are related to my phone being Rooted. Or specific to my interests. I disabled over 50 programs that came installed.
    Last edited by zapjb; 01-11-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

AirVoice (AT&T) $20 a month UTnT 50MB
    T-Mobile ToGo Gold Rewards $10/yr exp extension
    Tello (Sprint) Pay As You Go $5 [1+ calls in 6mo Never Expires]

Device(s)
    LG Stylo2, Lenovo Phab 2, ZmaxPro
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    - Opera - like the interface and it is faster than Firefox ( Firefox annoys the snot out of me in that the page is unusable until it completely loads and continues to reformat under my fingers)
    - Nine Email - Outlook email from microsoft app remains missing so many features like adding contacts or setting calendar appointments. Nine email is fantastic and allows both with MS, hotmail and exchange email accounts
    Print Hand Premium - I can print anything to any wireless printer. Great app
    - Here We Go! (Formerly Here maps) you can download maps to use offline with no data and still have turn by turn. You can download whole states, countries and continents.

What I need is a good gallery app that lets you exclude folders and search. Like Quickpic does, but it is from Cougar and they have too much monitoring and spyware built in since they were bought by Cougar. Any ideas for a good gallery app? Prefer something paid if possible.

Feedback Score
    Nova Launcher... . Free version is excellent, but I liked it so much I paid for Prime version to support author . I am an appaholic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    - Opera - like the interface and it is faster than Firefox ( Firefox annoys the snot out of me in that the page is unusable until it completely loads and continues to reformat under my fingers)
    - Nine Email - Outlook email from microsoft app remains missing so many features like adding contacts or setting calendar appointments. Nine email is fantastic and allows both with MS, hotmail and exchange email accounts
    Print Hand Premium - I can print anything to any wireless printer. Great app
    - Here We Go! (Formerly Here maps) you can download maps to use offline with no data and still have turn by turn. You can download whole states, countries and continents.

What I need is a good gallery app that lets you exclude folders and search. Like Quickpic does, but it is from Cougar and they have too much monitoring and spyware built in since they were bought by Cougar. Any ideas for a good gallery app? Prefer something paid if possible.
    Try F Stop.

Device(s)
    LG Stylo2, Lenovo Phab 2, ZmaxPro
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    Try F Stop.
    Thanks for the F-Stop tip.

Also I will add to my previous post, must have apps for me are a launcher, I am rather partial to Apex, Nova, and lately to Microsoft's Arrow Launcher.