Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New AT&T Customer

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Agreed on all points. Initially I thought it was my phone & very surprised others were having troubles, even iPhones. Thinking it is more of a network congestion issue since it can even happen with a strong LTE signal only hundreds of feet away.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    Well, let's not say they don't have it enabled. I drive through an area where the towers are HSPA+ only, and if I start a call on LTE, the call will fallback to CS voice on HSPA+ and continue on, albeit at standard voice quality. However, the fallback can be flaky, and I've lost a fair share of calls in the transition (phone tries to hang on to LTE for too long).

Also, in regards to reliability and sound quality, I've only had an issue at one location with call quality sucking (choppy for person on the other end), and it was in Knoxville at the Zoo, and there were arguably a lot of people on the one sector I was using. I believe this could've been with Verizon's network or AT&T's, as myself and the other person were both at the Zoo. Other than that, I much prefer VoLTE as the increased fidelity makes a large difference in understanding the other caller.
    Fallback due to weak LTE is definitely not enabled in many markets. Fallback due to leaving VoLTE coverage should be enabled everywhere, but as I evidenced, it's not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post

Point 2, VoLTE has been out since 2015 in select cities, and now AT&T's footprint is moreso covered by VoLTE than not. They wouldn't of rolled out tech that has a high failure rate, especially since it's in such a competitive industry. Yes, VoLTE may not work well in some areas due to issues with tower placement or oversaturation of the network or cell spectrum, amongst other things. But I've tested VoLTE in VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, and FL, and I've not had a single issue outside of being in a known problem area in TN, and it only affected a single call.
    AT&T actually first launched it May 2014. It was pretty buggy in its first 1.5 years. We switched to at&t in April 2015 and the one device on the account that was whitelisted (my unlocked iP6 for whatever reason wasn't) for VoLTE had a lot of dropped calls and audio issues like choppiness etc. Sometime shortly after iOS 9 release I managed to get my device onto VoLTE and they had fixed all the issues, I feel like iOS 9 fixed a lot of VoLTE issues on the iPhone at least.

I think all the carriers did a decent job at hitting the ground running with VoLTE launch but they still had a lot of issues in the first year or so.

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Fallback due to weak LTE is definitely not enabled in many markets. Fallback due to leaving VoLTE coverage should be enabled everywhere, but as I evidenced, it's not.
    Fallback leaving VoLTE coverage isn't supposed to occur, providing a user stays within an LTE coverage area. Based on what I've seen, if a call is started on the LTE network, even if a user passes through a non VoLTE, but LTE network area, and stays connected to LTE, the call should be continued on the LTE network. However, once that call ends, the network will only allow CS voice calls if not back within the VoLTE coverage area. I've seen a few posters confirm this works.

As for Fallback due to weak LTE, that should be working anywhere "fallback" is enabled period. If a user loses connection to the LTE network during a VoLTE call, the network hands off the call to the circuit-switched network. I'd actually read a document by 3GPP that outlined that's how fallback is intended to work. The main reason I see it not working is due to some sort of hand-off issue between networks, possibly because the device fails to "set-up" the hand-off to UMTS/H+, and as a result, hangs on to LTE until the signal is lost and call is dropped. That's how I've seen it happen many times.

I'm not doubting that you're right GusHerb, but it could vary per market and device, but I've experienced both scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    My dad had a VoLTE call in upstate NY along Route 17 and had it fall back to 4G

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    It's happened to me multiple times as well. Area's where you're traveling up and down hills. This past summer, I had a call go from lte to WCDMA to gsm all in a minutes times. I knew the area well and wanted to see if I could get it to hand down. The call dropped because it was in a fringe area, but did successfully hand all the way down to gsm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I just turned it off and use regular umts voice

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Glad it's not just me. My calls fail every time I enter a weak LTE area. Immediately following the dropped call, my iPhone will have strong HSPA signal and I can place another call and continue on my way. T-Mobile will hand down to HSPA+ very quickly and frequently, unless its an EDGE only area in which case it just fails.

I've had to disable VoLTE on AT&T when back home. I've not had an issue with Verizon as of late.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Glad it's not just me. My calls fail every time I enter a weak LTE area. Immediately following the dropped call, my iPhone will have strong HSPA signal and I can place another call and continue on my way. T-Mobile will hand down to HSPA+ very quickly and frequently, unless its an EDGE only area in which case it just fails.

I've had to disable VoLTE on AT&T when back home. I've not had an issue with Verizon as of late.
    I wonder if it's also a device issue.
    Can everyone comment what device they used when it occurred?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    This! I am switching to GoPhone from Cricket and absolutely don't want VoLTE until it is perfected/more stable. I regularly make phone calls and will be doing job interviews and need reliable service.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app
    Cricket and GoPhone both don't have VoLTE yet and so far I've had 0 problems with VoLTE on AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post

I've had my iPhone 6S drop down to 4G from VoLTE randomly, usually while driving. I didn't notice until I was about to hang up.

I usually leave VoLTE off. Too often if the service gets weak, I can hear the person but they cannot hear me. So it's just dead air. It's frustrating and it doesn't happen on 4G. In those cases, why doesn't it drop down to 4G?

I honestly don't hear a big difference between 4G, wifi calling, or VoLTE at all to other at&t customers. It usually sounds good regardless. Now when I talk to someone on Verizon cdma, however, that is painful.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    I've had my iPhone 6S drop down to 4G from VoLTE randomly, usually while driving. I didn't notice until I was about to hang up.

I usually leave VoLTE off. Too often if the service gets weak, I can hear the person but they cannot hear me. So it's just dead air. It's frustrating and it doesn't happen on 4G. In those cases, why doesn't it drop down to 4G?

I honestly don't hear a big difference between 4G, wifi calling, or VoLTE at all to other at&t customers. It usually sounds good regardless. Now when I talk to someone on Verizon cdma, however, that is painful.
    Edit: Forgot to include, when I was using a VoLTE-supported device, it was an AT&T Note 4.

I think call quality is subjective depending on the user, Airb330. I absolutely hate talking on the phone unless it's AMR-WB, just because the increased fidelity is noticeable to me. Granted, I'm an Audio Engineer by passion and profession, so I've got attentive ears myself, but I've spoken with my wife, mother, and 2 close friends, and when AMR-WB is active on both ends, the callers notice and let me know that they notice. Makes it much easier to discern what's being said on both ends.

The only time I've had VoLTE give me dead air is when a handoff from LTE to H+/UMTS doesn't go as planned, and I lose the call in those cases. Not sure why the drop-down to H+/UMTS isn't working for you, and as GusHerb said, it could be something that AT&T just doesn't have implemented by design.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I wonder if it's also a device issue.
    Can everyone comment what device they used when it occurred?

6S and now an iPhone 7. Nobody's AT&T device will hand down and there are still a couple of HSPA only towers so calls will always fail.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's standard functionality of release 10 so that if you have VoLTE you also have SRVCC. I'd wager the issue has to do with a failure to find an adequate UMTS signal at that immediate moment. It works, and many can try it in a nearly stationary manner simply by entering an elevator, or by going into their basement...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloTF View Post
    It's standard functionality of release 10 so that if you have VoLTE you also have SRVCC. I'd wager the issue has to do with a failure to find an adequate UMTS signal at that immediate moment. It works, and many can try it in a nearly stationary manner simply by entering an elevator, or by going into their basement...
    I have dropped VoLTE calls in plenty of cases where U850 was plenty strong to handover to. If it is enabled they must raise the threshold so high that it drops before it hands over, which explains the behavior some users have mentioned of it working sometimes and other times not at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3