Thread: Not receiving verification texts

Feedback Score

Not receiving verification texts

We switched from AT&T to Cricket yesterday. I also switched iPhones - though my old and new one are having the same issue so it doesn't seem to be phone related.

I use 2FA on a lot of accounts, and I'm not receiving any of the texts for verification for those. I'm also not receiving the text for my iCloud Keychain setup verification. Other "normal" texts are coming through fine.

I saw a few threads elsewhere about short code problems on Cricket, but they were pretty old...

Am I missing something? Will this clear up? Is this normal for Cricket? If so, this is a deal killer...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    You need to re/do texts since it's basically a new line. For example, sign up again for CNN text alert.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    So for all the accounts that I have 2FA on I have to disable it and set it up again? That doesn't seem right. When we switched from Verizon to AT&T a few months back we didn't have to do that.

Feedback Score
    Also, there really is no redoing texts for Apple's iCloud Keychain

Feedback Score
    Cricket basically just told me that short code texts, in general, won't go through. They also told me they can manually add short codes to the line so I can receive them from specific services. So for example, if Google's short code number is 12345, they can add 12345 as a short code to my line and that will allow short code texts from Google to get through...

That sounds way off, but I kept the chat transcript and that's definitely what he said...

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a short code? is it something like Paypal verification text? When I login to Paypal, they would text me a security code from 729725. If that is a short code, we don't have a problem sending/receiving.

I often send text to 69287 for a bus schedule. If you wish to try send a message to "21769", you should get a response back about "PALISADE AVE + 10th st" with some time, route, NEW YORK schedule. I am on Android, and my wife is on iPhone 6, we both have been able to receive/send texts.

Feedback Score
    I get PayPal, Bank, Microsoft codes etc. with no issues.

Feedback Score
    I am getting a few, but not getting others. The others are a real problem though - google, apple, a couple of proprietary work apps, etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    I use 2-step verification with my bank, Microsoft, Google, PayPal, Apple, Amazon, etc., without any issues.

Maybe your line hasn't fully migrated over yet as it's only been 24hrs? Sometimes it can take several days for everything to settle.
    Last edited by 12thman; 01-11-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You need to re/do texts since it's basically a new line. For example, sign up again for CNN text alert.
    You may be correct. When I switch carriers (which I do more than is normal), my bank sends me a text in a day or two telling me that they will no longer be sending me verification texts.
    I have to log into my account and turn the feature back on.
    I have no idea how they know I switched carriers when the phone number hasn't changed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    You may be correct. When I switch carriers (which I do more than is normal), my bank sends me a text in a day or two telling me that they will no longer be sending me verification texts.
    I have to log into my account and turn the feature back on.
    I have no idea how they know I switched carriers when the phone number hasn't changed.
    I'm not saying y'all are wrong, and I know where he (and you) are coming from on this, but I change carriers all the time as well and I've literally never had to do that - though I don't have many text *alerts* setup, mainly just authentication/verification stuff.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Could it be the port isn't fully completed?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes takes up to 72 hours to full propagate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Could it be the port isn't fully completed?
    Could be, but everything else is working 100%, even some other short codes. Plus two different Cricket reps have confirmed they have problems with certain short code messages.