Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New small cell

Feedback Score

New small cell

This small cell just went up yesterday. It wasn't there Monday then poof, it was there yesterday. I don't know if it is up and running yet. This small cell is in a suburban area but the antenna is facing a whole bunch of apartments, townhouses and condo's. I think it's a Verizon small cell but can't verify because I don't have Verizon.
    Weird thing is that about a half mile further up the road is a T-Mobile owned cell site with Verizon and T-Mobile on it.
    I assume this is strictly for capacity. What band do you suppose it is? I think I read that small cells are usually only one band.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by new-toy; 01-11-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Pictures came out wrong. Wil upload again.

Feedback Score
    Name:  IMG_0027.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  89.6 KBName:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  64.2 KBName:  IMG_0029.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  74.2 KB

This small cell is at an intersection of a main road and a side street. As you can see in the first picture, the side street is called Robbins ave and that's where all the condo's, townhouses and apartments are, and thats where the antenna is facing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Name:  IMG_0027.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  89.6 KBName:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  64.2 KBName:  IMG_0029.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  74.2 KB

This small cell is at an intersection of a main road and a side street. As you can see in the first picture, the side street is called Robbins ave and that's where all the condo's, townhouses and apartments are, and thats where the antenna is facing.
    What state is this located in? TBH it looks similar to the Mobilite Sprint small cells!
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's B4 and 100% Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    What state is this located in? TBH it looks similar to the Mobilite Sprint small cells!
    This is in Zip 01826 (MA). The gray box at the bottom says Verizon on it, But I was really hopeful that it was going to be a Sprint site because Sprint coverage in this area is awful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    That's B4 and 100% Verizon.
    From other posts you have written I can see you are a Verizon guy or at the very least someone that works in the cellular industry. So if you say Verizon, then I am sure that's what it is. If it just went up yesterday, how long do you think it may take for it to go live? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful blue sky. What state are you in?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    Beautiful blue sky. What state are you in?
    MA, near the NH border. Actually a really nice and unusually warm day today. 50 degrees. No complaints!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is in Zip 01826 (MA). The gray box at the bottom says Verizon on it, But I was really hopeful that it was going to be a Sprint site because Sprint coverage in this area is awful.
    If it says Verizon then it's definitely Verizon. I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    If it says Verizon then it's definitely Verizon. I'm happy to be proven wrong!
    Yeah, too bad it's not Sprint. If you save the pic, Then zoom in on it, you can clearly see "Verizon" written on the bottom gray box.

Never mind, this site compressed the picture really small and loses the fine definition necessary to see the writing.
    Last edited by new-toy; 01-11-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Pictures are compressed

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From other posts you have written I can see you are a Verizon guy or at the very least someone that works in the cellular industry. So if you say Verizon, then I am sure that's what it is. If it just went up yesterday, how long do you think it may take for it to go live? Thanks.
    I work in the industry and have gained a knack for identifying equipment after seeing so much of it in person. Kind of a useless skill but it helps from time to time

As far as integration there's usually three things that may hold up a site which are power, telco, and equipment testing. Judging by the picture at minimum the electric meter pan (gray box) doesn't have a meter on it yet so that may be why it's not on yet. Honestly Verizon may be at the whim of either the power company, telco provider, or equipment vendor to get the site on air.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I work in the industry and have gained a knack for identifying equipment after seeing so much of it in person. Kind of a useless skill but it helps from time to time

As far as integration there's usually three things that may hold up a site which are power, telco, and equipment testing. Judging by the picture at minimum the electric meter pan (gray box) doesn't have a meter on it yet so that may be why it's not on yet. Honestly Verizon may be at the whim of either the power company, telco provider, or equipment vendor to get the site on air.
    Wow great information. Thanks a lot. I will be keeping an eye on the site to see any changes. I don't have Verizon yet but I am thinking about trying prepaid and this site is pretty close to me. How far do sites like this work?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Depends on the antennas really. Unfortunately I'm not really on the equipment side so I'm not really sure how far the reach on those particular antennas work but I'd imagine at least a couple blocks. It's only running B4 so maybe a shorter range.

Device(s)
    S8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    MA, near the NH border. Actually a really nice and unusually warm day today. 50 degrees. No complaints!!
    Maybe that's a sign it will slowly move up to NH :P We could really use small cells in lots of urban and suburban areas.

Feedback Score
    Update!! Wow, Verizon does not mess around. There was an electric truck at the site this morning. They installed an electric meter in the lower gray box where the blank circle was (just like JimMcGraff said they were going to do).
    Now I wonder how long it will be before the site is on air? I don't have Verizon but I am going to try a Prepaid plan with them as soon as I can get some cash together and see if this site is working.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast