Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speedtest no longer zero-rates?????

Feedback Score

Speedtest no longer zero-rates?????

I just got my $50 5GB T-Mobile prepaid and found Speedtest currently counts toward my 5GB.... Has this always been the case? Because even my 200 MB free data iPad has unlimited Speedtest.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They probably don't people to see how slow and congested the network is getting
    It is what it is and that's all it is!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    ookla app is zero rated. the new google speed test is not zero rated, and is crap

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    ookla app is zero rated. the new google speed test is not zero rated, and is crap
    I used the ookla app and it's still not zero rating.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How did you come to this conclusion? If you ran a few speed tests you'd be at at least half a gig used. Is that what your T-Mobile account shows?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion? If you ran a few speed tests you'd be at at least half a gig used. Is that what your T-Mobile account shows?
    The amount of data used to do a speed test is not fixed. If you are in an area where the test provides very fast speeds then you will use a lot of data. I have noticed that slow speed test results use much less data.
    Also, I have also noticed that speed tests are not zero rated on T-Mobile anymore also. T-Mobile has crap coverage in this area and I run speed tests in different areas to see just how bad the service is. I only use that T-Mobile line for speed tests and my data usage is climbing, which it should not be.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They probably couldn't plug up the hole that zero rating speedtest created.

Feedback Score

Speedtest no longer zero-rates?????

Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I went onto the T-Mobile app and whenever I run a test, the usage increased exactly as download and upload MB combined. Not the app meter, the app directed me to the webpage where it shows exactly how many MB. Also if you dial #932# it shows on network and your usage counting towards the account, both increased at about 70 MB when I run the test.

This was never the case when I was with T-Mobile Postpaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevako View Post
    They probably don't people to see how slow and congested the network is getting
    It seems pretty stupid for people to be helping congest the network by running speedtests constantly. Sure I can see it on occasion, but some of the compulsive need for speedtests that we read about is nuts. So actually I'd support their not zero rating speedtests. Let users learn to be responsible.

Feedback Score
    I know postpaid Simple Choice is still being zero rated. Im not seeing it on Prepaid. My question is, has this ALWAYS been the case?

Feedback Score
    I'm on Simple Choice postpaid also and run speedtests every morning and am about 99.9% positive that Speedtest.net is still zero rated. I'm about 26 days into this billing period, and have used 5.3Gb of data with only 1.03 of that posted as billable. It's like this every month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I'm on Simple Choice postpaid also and run speedtests every morning and am about 99.9% positive that Speedtest.net is still zero rated. I'm about 26 days into this billing period, and have used 5.3Gb of data with only 1.03 of that posted as billable. It's like this every month.
    Yeah. I know that still works, but I want to know if Prepaid didn't have Speedtest zero rating all this time.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    It seems pretty stupid for people to be helping congest the network by running speedtests constantly. Sure I can see it on occasion, but some of the compulsive need for speedtests that we read about is nuts. So actually I'd support their not zero rating speedtests. Let users learn to be responsible.
    Running speed tests helps T-Mobile achieve the top spots in Ookla's Speedtest report, which they use as advertising of their fastest network claims. Since it's white listed, most of the people that take advantage of it are likely ones in their top markets and help boost their standings.

Besides, with T-Mobile One being the only plan avaialable, it's a moot point since most people will have unlimited data.

Why aren't you upset about people streaming video with Binge On or Music Freedom, which don't count against their data plans? Many more people do that then run speed tests.

Quote Originally Posted by albert1735 View Post
    Yeah. I know that still works, but I want to know if Prepaid didn't have Speedtest zero rating all this time.
    I did it as early as 2 weeks ago on my $30 5GB prepaid plan and it did not count against my usage.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It's zero rated on my iPad Mini 200 MB free data plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC + Band 12 10 MHz TCC

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+, Xperia C4, and 99 more...
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, Speed Tests are still zero-rated on my prepaid line. I just did 100MB or so of Ookla tests and my plan usage only went up by around 1MB. I agree that it's a complete waste of network resources and only serves as a pissing contest for people to show off how fast a single sector of their local cell site is.

Completely meaningless in the big picture. I only run tests when I feel there's a problem to confirm if it's a congestion issue or not, not to see if I can eke an extra 0.1Mbit out of the test to wave my e-unit around on the internet.

I wish they would end the zero rating and free up some resources of those who obsessively run tests all day long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast