Thread: Flip phones that will work on Airvoice

Feedback Score

Flip phones that will work on Airvoice

I have an older family member that I was helping port over to Airvoice. I did the port to my very old Razr flip phone. After talking to customer service I was told 2G was no longer supported.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an cheap phone to be used by an older family member that will work on Airvoice? I have seem some old BLU smartphones at Target but am not sure. A lot of the flip phones I see seem to be locked to a provider. Would a Consumer Cellular or Trackphone work on Airvoice or do I need an unlocked phone? Any suggestions wold be helpful. Anything on e-bay available?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Any phone which is advertised to work on AT&T will work. Even if it's locked to AT&T it will work with Airvoice. Tracfones will not work unless they're unlocked.

If your "older family member" is used to and likes their flip phone, I would not for one moment consider a smartphone for them. I'd find another flip phone. The AT&T ZTE Z222 and Z223 seem to get good marks from people who've used them. Samsung's Gusto series seems to have its fans but if I recall correctly, I've read/heard some negatives in call volume (may be an issue for your user).

There is a Buy/Sell/Trade section on howardforums but a check just now didn't show any flips and shipping one would cost a considerable chunk of buying it. You could go ebay, but you really need to have an idea of what you're buying and then you get to deal with issues like warranty if it doesn't work or whether the seller really is offering a "clean" phone. And you'll often pay shipping there, too. Swappa seems to be well-regarded, but they don't deal in the lower-end phones.

Your best bet might be to go to a local dollar store or Target/Walmart and check out their prepaid phone section. They should have a selection of "just-a-phone"s to look at and purchase. There might be a better deal out there somewhere but it will take legwork and some research to find it.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Just get an AT&T GoPhone flip-phone from any department/discount/drug store. It will work fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanwi View Post
    I have an older family member that I was helping port over to Airvoice. I did the port to my very old Razr flip phone. After talking to customer service I was told 2G was no longer supported.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an cheap phone to be used by an older family member that will work on Airvoice? I have seem some old BLU smartphones at Target but am not sure. A lot of the flip phones I see seem to be locked to a provider. Would a Consumer Cellular or Trackphone work on Airvoice or do I need an unlocked phone? Any suggestions wold be helpful. Anything on e-bay available?

Thanks.
    I have a line on Air Voice. I used to have a gophone/Att prepaid ZTE 222 and recently use the 223 after the 222 volume stopped working.
    For talk/text all you do is pop in the sim and wait and it'll work. If you need mms/data you have to do manual settings. All Gophones are 3G/gsm , capable of operating on Air Voice. You can even use a new unactivated gophone sim in place of air Voice sim should the phone with Air Voice service get lost.