Thread: Nexus 5X semi-bricked. Google replacing out of warranty.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Nexus 5X semi-bricked. Google replacing out of warranty.

After I applied the Jan 5 security patch to the wife's Nexus 5x, the phone got really flaky. It mostly was in an endless "Google"-black-"Google"-black cycle. I could get into the recovery menu but a recovery boot did nothing. I was eventually able to get into the boot menu (Start-up_vol) and was able to wipe the memory but nothing would get it to boot. In an online chat with Google's rep, I was offered an "exception" out-of-warranty replacement. They sent me an e-mail with a one-time link for me to order a replacement phone (nominally for $399) and prepaid shipping labels. They send me a replacement (not sure if it's new or reconditioned) and I return the bare broken phone to them (Just the phone, no SIM, chargers, etc). I mailed them the dead phone today and should get the replacement tomorrow or Thursday. When they receive the dead phone, they are supposed to take the hold off my Visa card.

ITMT, the Fi SIM does not work in my unlocked Moto G. I dropped in a legacy T-Mobile PAYG SIM that I've been keeping because it only costs $10/year. I then forwarded the incoming Fi calls to that line. When on WiFi my wife can make outgoing calls using the Hangouts Dialer. I'm still not sure if she can send and receive texts to and from her Fi number.

Anyway, I'm pleased that Google stood behind this phone even though it's a few months out of warranty. I think the hardware is perfectly good. It just got confused during a firmware update and lost it's mind.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    When My 5X started having horrible battery life, I thought I'd have to do an insurance claim on it. But Google replaced under warranty for free. Thankfully my OnePlus 2 read the Fi sim just fine, even though it hadn't done so in the past. I've been very happy with the customer service I've gotten with Fi and would recommend it to anyone.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Common problem with the 5X. My buddy had his Fi 5X bootloop of death a few months out of warranty and LG gave him a full refund.

I'm miffed that Google ditched the Nexus line to play iPhone clone. Not going to be happy if I'm forced to purchase a $650 phone with glaring flaws (huge bezels and crappy, inadequate speakers)
    Nexus 5X on Google Fi

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    When I got into the bootloader menu, I toyed with the idea of loading CyanogenMod but that was already after I had ordered the replacement. (Yes, I know I'd have to ditch Fi if I did that.) The point is that I don't think there was anything wrong with the hardware and if I had an easy way to restore the OS firmware to some checkpoint, all would have been good. If anyone has any pointers on how I can make or get a backup of the Nexus 5x ROM, I'm all ears.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Common problem with the 5X. My buddy had his Fi 5X bootloop of death a few months out of warranty and LG gave him a full refund.

I'm miffed that Google ditched the Nexus line to play iPhone clone. Not going to be happy if I'm forced to purchase a $650 phone with glaring flaws (huge bezels and crappy, inadequate speakers)
    Agreed. I just blogged about I how I hope the spirit of the Nexus project stays alive. I'm guessing if the modular phone does come, that may be the next incarnation of the Nexus. Time will tell. But I'm not big on spending $600+ for a new phone.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Agreed. I just blogged about I how I hope the spirit of the Nexus project stays alive. I'm guessing if the modular phone does come, that may be the next incarnation of the Nexus. Time will tell. But I'm not big on spending $600+ for a new phone.
    Saw this today:

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...-rebirth-nexus

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm wondering how this service will work, and if other devices will be able to work on this service. With a budget target market, this service would seem to target services like Boost Mobile, Cricket and Metro PCS. The timing is interesting because of Verizon looking to get more active into the prepaid market in the future. If this service uses Verizon's network and offers prices similar to the other prepaid carriers, it would a big shake up to the US prepaid industry.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Which "service"? AndroidOne phone is low cost devices, not a service. If they do indeed come here, I hope they support Fi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    After I applied the Jan 5 security patch to the wife's Nexus 5x, the phone got really flaky. It mostly was in an endless "Google"-black-"Google"-black cycle. I could get into the recovery menu but a recovery boot did nothing. I was eventually able to get into the boot menu (Start-up_vol) and was able to wipe the memory but nothing would get it to boot. In an online chat with Google's rep, I was offered an "exception" out-of-warranty replacement. They sent me an e-mail with a one-time link for me to order a replacement phone (nominally for $399) and prepaid shipping labels. They send me a replacement (not sure if it's new or reconditioned) and I return the bare broken phone to them (Just the phone, no SIM, chargers, etc). I mailed them the dead phone today and should get the replacement tomorrow or Thursday. When they receive the dead phone, they are supposed to take the hold off my Visa card.

ITMT, the Fi SIM does not work in my unlocked Moto G. I dropped in a legacy T-Mobile PAYG SIM that I've been keeping because it only costs $10/year. I then forwarded the incoming Fi calls to that line. When on WiFi my wife can make outgoing calls using the Hangouts Dialer. I'm still not sure if she can send and receive texts to and from her Fi number.

Anyway, I'm pleased that Google stood behind this phone even though it's a few months out of warranty. I think the hardware is perfectly good. It just got confused during a firmware update and lost it's mind.
    Hey! How did you get in touch with the Google rep? I'm unable to find that