Thread: Unlocking tethering on SoftBank Sharps (Aquos Xx2)

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Unlocking tethering on SoftBank Sharps (Aquos Xx2)

The tethering option on the Sharp Aquos Xx2 (502SH) is locked. In order to get to it, I must enter tethering subscription details, which of course I don't have.

The phone is SIM-unlocked and I don't understand why the tethering should be blocked.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
    Name:  tethering_502sh.png
Views: 242
Size:  155.4 KB

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After some research, the news isn't promising...

1. Apparently, this dialog is supposed to only be shown once, on first activation. After that it should open the tethering settings directly.

2. The tethering settings are not accessible from the Settings menu, only from the Softbank tethering app. We've also tried directly calling tethering menu using Default Windows Viewer and the Tethering Shortcut but no luck - always the Softbank app is launched.

3. Various Japanese blogs discuss this limitation, some rather angrily, but no solution has been found. Here's one: http://nosoftbankno.blog84.fc2.com/blog-entry-450.html

4. I have found reports for newer Docomo models, saying that, even when SIM-unlocked, once you turn on the tethering, the phone will automatically switch to the Docomo APN, which means you won't be able to actually tether your mobile internet connection. I cannot confirm which models this applies to -- tethering works just fine on my SH-01G, which is now, however, a bit on the "old" side. The same Japanese blogs discussing tethering say that it is possible to erase the Docomo APN using ADB, but that's only been tested on a Sony Xperia Z2 (SO-03F), which is even older than my phone: http://zibunlog.com/mobile/docomo-tether-apn/

Those of you who are using Docomo models, Sharp and others, newer than the SH-01G, please respond by specifying if tethering works for you or not.

Feedback Score
    Softbank models only have softbank network And sim working tethering network data by wifi...All softbank models doesnt work the wifi thethering..so sad..Have a 206sh unlocked And All ask to give them data...

Feedback Score
    I have two newer phones one is Softbanks Sharp Aquos XX2 unlocked via sim unlock code... As for the tethering what i did I've disabled softbanks app and then went to settings -> other settings -> Network Settings -> Tethering and just enable wifi or usb Tethering and I use it without any issues on my network and I can use 4G LTE on T-MOBILE USA with this softbank sharp phone...

Another phone I have is Docomo Fujitsu Arrows F-02H and I use this on AT&T network the 4G LTE doesn't work on this device due the AT&T spectrum but 3G works fine with speeds about 8mbit which is not so bad and the Tethering also works without any issues on AT&T

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeeky View Post
    I have two newer phones one is Softbanks Sharp Aquos XX2 unlocked via sim unlock code... As for the tethering what i did I've disabled softbanks app and then went to settings -> other settings -> Network Settings -> Tethering and just enable wifi or usb Tethering and I use it without any issues on my network and I can use 4G LTE on T-MOBILE USA with this softbank sharp phone...

Another phone I have is Docomo Fujitsu Arrows F-02H and I use this on AT&T network the 4G LTE doesn't work on this device due the AT&T spectrum but 3G works fine with speeds about 8mbit which is not so bad and the Tethering also works without any issues on AT&T
    Thank you!
    The phone isn't mine, it's my brother's and he lives abroad, so I don't have the full feedback yet, but... He did disable the Softbank app, he did get access to the tethering setting, and he did manage to turn it on. But because he didn't have a device to tether nearby, he hasn't tested if the connection is actually working – but it should be.
    Name:  softbank_tethering_3.png
Views: 59
Size:  97.5 KB
    After I get a confirmation, I will add an article on my website, and I'll mention you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseus View Post
    Thank you!
    The phone isn't mine, it's my brother's and he lives abroad, so I don't have the full feedback yet, but... He did disable the Softbank app, he did get access to the tethering setting, and he did manage to turn it on. But because he didn't have a device to tether nearby, he hasn't tested if the connection is actually working – but it should be.
    Name:  softbank_tethering_3.png
Views: 59
Size:  97.5 KB
    After I get a confirmation, I will add an article on my website, and I'll mention you
    You're welcome
    I am looking a solution how to root Aquos XX2 and F-02H and afterwords how to enable different LTE bands

I used to have SH-01H which is a sister model of Aquos XX2 and it had fewer LTE bands than Aquos XX2 so since they both have literary same hardware I think it's possible with root to modify LTE bands and make some of these phones to have LTE data globally...

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeeky View Post
    You're welcome
    I am looking a solution how to root Aquos XX2 and F-02H and afterwords how to enable different LTE bands

I used to have SH-01H which is a sister model of Aquos XX2 and it had fewer LTE bands than Aquos XX2 so since they both have literary same hardware I think it's possible with root to modify LTE bands and make some of these phones to have LTE data globally...
    Sadly, no Sharp phone after the SH-01G/SH-02G has been rooted (and even for those models, the rootkit, made by Tewilove, is only available for users from China).

Feedback Score
    I wonder..Can this work on my sim free 303sh,402sh and 404sh?? Thanks

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is confirmed to work!
    I've added an article on my website: http://sharp.cheeseus.org/how2/83/Un...ftbank-Devices

Thank you, thegeek!