Thread: Newbie with Hotspot Question

Feedback Score

Newbie with Hotspot Question

I still have a grandfathered VZW UDP plan and wondered if there is a way to use my smartphone's SIM card in a USB modem to use as home internet when we move to a rural area in a few weeks? We will be getting fiber broadband in approximately 9 months to a year and I'm trying to figure out how to make the best of what is available until the switch happens.

I'm thinking about switching our actual phone lines over the AT&T/Directv unlimited plan and just keeping my VZW UDP line for mifi. It was also suggested that we switch to AT&T/DTV's plan and add a third line as Connected Car for mifi, as evidently there is a hack or someway to get the car device to work inside the house.

If someone could explain these options and give me the pros and cons of each scenario, it would be much appreciated. I'm coming from the city with always on 40mb DSL.

Also, as a rough guess, would anyone know approximately how much data would be consumed through the mifi methods? We will have 2, maybe 3 smart tvs hooked to a DTV whole home genie, we each have cell phones, laptops and tablets, although all are never on at the same time.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Man, I just asked almost the same questions and I see yours has no answers even after being posted for 3.5 months! What did you end up doing? Did you just take the SIM out of the phone and put it into a USB modem without issue? I have an original UDP as well, don't want to lose it. Please let me know what you did when you moved out yonder!

EDIT: Assuming you will see this post because hopefully you have internet?

Mike

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We had a bit of a discussion on what to use yesterday on reddit. I don't know that there was a good clear cut answer though. Some say stick with a Verizon jetpack, others are putting sims in hardware that accepts the VW sims.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VerizonUDP/..._been_subject/

Feedback Score
    I was the OP on this thread. Before we physically moved to the country VZW introduced their new unlimited plan and I dropped my legacy UDP for it and my husband upgraded the limited data pkan he was on as well. We ended up going with a ZTE Mobley (ATT Connected Car device) and an A/C adapter for it for $20 per month. It works ok - speeds vary but between it and the VZW mobile hotspots in our unlimited plans we can make do until the fiber internet is up and running. The fiber optic lines have been hung and strung on our road but it takes a while to get installed due to number of people getting it. In closing I found a cheap workaround but I would not recommend it as a long term solution.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I ended up getting a Mofi 4500 Sim 4 combo. So far it's working great. However it has been less than a week. We have a 2500 sq ft ranch house. So I do have to use a Netgear Wifi extender to get a good signal on the other end of the house. I have the Mofi on one end for my desktop, tv, and Directv satellite dish hard lines.