Thread: Looking to switch from freedom for coverage...

Device(s)
    LG v20 lg-h915
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile (Canada)
    Feedback Score

Looking to switch from freedom for coverage...

Hey all,

I am currently on freedoms new lte plan but using a lg g5 (that was locked to freedom), my only grips with wind is lack of coverage area.

Public mobile seems to be the next best option.

I won't be able to switch out of freedom until I get my income tax in a couple of months so I can pay off my phone balance.

I know I have missed the deadline for the $40/4gb/month promo, so I was wondering of deals like that happen often?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    3 promos last year so chances are decent
    I doubt as good as the 12GB plan but would not be surprised to see discount on 6GB

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Have there been any promo plans for new customers or can existing customers easily switch to any promo? Wondering if it's worth waiting for a promo or if I can get off Freedom asap.

Feedback Score
    $38 per month for a plan with 6 gigs spread over 90 days is still competitive considering that you get access to the Bellus network. Having been with Wind for 4 years and really suffering big time the entire 2016, I jumped ship during the promotion. Having experienced the difference, I would still jump ship if the promotion was not available.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm looking to jump too - have two Wind I35 plans. Just have to wait and bide my time until that 12Gb deal or similar comes around again. I have a feeling it is going to be war between Shaw and Telus, and Telus aren't being stupid - they are nipping it in the bud, and we'll see more of these guerilla actions chipping away at Shaw's Freedom before their network is more built out.

Once Freedom gets their network built out, it will be far harder for Telus to fight with Shaw - they are smart to make attractive offers over the next 12 months, and 12Gb might not be the end of it.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by will888 View Post
    $38 per month for a plan with 6 gigs spread over 90 days is still competitive considering that you get access to the Bellus network. Having been with Wind for 4 years and really suffering big time the entire 2016, I jumped ship during the promotion. Having experienced the difference, I would still jump ship if the promotion was not available.
    Also to note, Public will discount your plan an extra $1 every year
    So if you had been on any plan last 4 years you would be paying -$4 per month
    Discounts never drop off even if plan change

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Also to note, Public will discount your plan an extra $1 every year
    So if you had been on any plan last 4 years you would be paying -$4 per month
    Discounts never drop off even if plan change
    I am not going to count on the yearly discount too much. Who knows when Public Mobile will change the terms of service, eliminate/revise all rewards, increase the price on grandfathered plans... The fine print allows them to do that at any time.

Device(s)
    Samsung G900W8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i'm thoroughly sick of Wind. i hadn't had a device for ~1 year and bought myself a NUsed Galaxy S5 that was unlocked about 5 months ago for a very decent price and walked into Wind because i had heard Mobi went to shite. i didn't know PM existed, and i really wasn't into $100/mo bills, nor could i afford it at the time.

anyhow, Wind had a decent deal, so i got a $40 plan with 2GB + 3GB full speed bonus, with 10 months of $5 off after 3 months of service and a bonus $5 i could use for add-ons or if i was roaming on a sub network. i figured i'd be laughing.

this provider, outside of voice and text in wide open spaces is pretty much useless. it constantly drops calls in my apartment with 4 bars, doesn't ring, texts come in hours later. oh, and data during the day? lol

i'm lucky if i get 50kB/s down and 0.5 up! come 4:30am mind you, i'll get 5Mb down. but i very rarely stay up that late anymore. what am i paying for?

i also like the coverage for PM. i can go visit my friends in rural areas and not worry about having less-than-the-already-zero coverage i currently have.

eff this place, man. i'm out mid-March latest.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I am not going to count on the yearly discount too much. Who knows when Public Mobile will change the terms of service, eliminate/revise all rewards, increase the price on grandfathered plans... The fine print allows them to do that at any time.
    So far years with no changes so not too worried
    It's not like one day we will wake up and discover our bills are higher then big4
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Who knows when Public Mobile will change the terms of service, eliminate/revise all rewards, increase the price on grandfathered plans...
    That happens April 1st for some of us. From $25 to $28.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    That happens April 1st for some of us. From $25 to $28.
    I noticed on Kijiji a few people selling legacy plans ($19 esp)
    How come no interest in accepting the Koodo conversion plan?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    My sister can stay on prepaid, it's not critical. She doesn't use data, just calling and text. And, I give her my older phones. Which brings up another point, if you go on a tab, you'd have to change to an in-market plan. There goes the PM savings!