Thread: Question on an outdoor antenna for Straight Talk Home Phone

Feedback Score

Question on an outdoor antenna for Straight Talk Home Phone

I recently purchased a Straight Talk Home Phone for my sister who lives 700 miles away. She is getting bad reception and I want to buy her an outdoor antenna. I used to be a CB'er and novice HAM radio user back in the day and remember the RG8 cables and barrel connectors, etc. but I am clueless when it comes to cell phone cables and connectors. What I need is an outdoor antenna. I know the antenna will not have a sufficient length cable. So I will need about 25 feet of cable, and what I call a barrel connector to extend the cable length plus if there is an adapter needed to plug into the ST box I need to know what size. This will probably depend on what size cable but I have no idea which size cable to even use for the cell phone band. I am looking to spend maybe $30 for an antenna and whatever is the cheapest option for coaxial cable and adapters. Thank you for any help!

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One of the issues you face is that cellular bands are UHF. In some coax (e.g. Rg 174) you will lose 1/2 your power every 10'. It often works better to move the unit to a less convenient location, with better reception and then run an extension phone than to try add a coax run and outside antenna. Do you know what band the unit is receiving and the direction to the tower?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It often works better to move the unit to a less convenient location, with better reception and then run an extension phone than to try add a coax run and outside antenna.
    Yes, looking for a reception sweet spot in the house would be my first move. The cell signal can vary wildly from room to room. Keeping the unit away from other electronics can also make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I will have to look up the band but I'm pretty sure it is around 800-900 mhz. She has tried moving the unit all over her house. I told her to put it in a window but I guess it's still not getting enough reception. She has had reception bu holding the unit outside her door but that is not going to work.