Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why data so expensive

Feedback Score

Why data so expensive

I always wondered why project fi has such high cost of data ? On sprint I get unlimited data for $45 a month and t-mobile gives me unlimited data for $30. I was expected to signup for project fi but never activated my service due to high cost of data. Can google offer unlimited data for $30 ?

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Because the whole point of Project Fi is to use WiFi as much as possible.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Google already pays quite a bit to Sprint, T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular for high speed data with no caps on their speed. If there was a cheap data option, carriers would be charge a lot more. My guess their deal with Sprint and T-Mobile would change if/when the two companies merge.

While I agree that $10 per gig is expensive, Fi is more for business people or WiFi heavy consumers than it is for people who rely a lot of cellular data. Hopefully somethings changes soon to lower data for those who have had Fi for a while. Time will tell.

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon beyondunlimited is now $85 for 1 line Per month. Plus taxes & fees. When you enroll in Auto Pay.
    Unlimited High Speed (22 GB then can be slowed for QOS)
    Unlimited Mobile Hotspot (15 GBd then slowed to 600 kbs)
    Mexico & Canada included

So that is roughly $3 or $4 per GB depending on how you calculate it.

There is no reason that Google Fi should be $10/GB. I just looked at the website to see what it costs, and I was absolutely shocked that they had not reduced the price considering the competition.
    LG K3 on Virgin Mobile ($20 a month Walmart Plan)
    2 Samsung SCH-u410™ w/Verizon Prepaid ($5 month & $15 month grandfathered plans)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    There are probably reasons why it is what it is. The great thing is, with no-contract providers one can just switch to another provider that meets their needs.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Project Fi doesn't make much from their subscriber's data use, mainly because most subscribers work very hard to minimize their cellular data usage. Partly because of the $10 per GB.

I also believe that limits Project Fi from getting better rates because they can't get the same bulk discounts the other MVNOs can.

The other part is that all three carriers allow Project Fi subscribers to use their roaming partners as well. If Project Fi didn't have access to AT&T or Verizon, it would take away one of the primary features of excellent coverage throughout the country. Those roaming rates are probably pretty high for T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular, and those costs have to be passed to the subscriber.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I don't know how competitive Google Fi wants to be.

My suggestion would be $20 for unlimited talk and web, and 1 GB of high-speed data.
    Additional data would remain at $10 / gigabyte.

Also, a promotion which drops the Pixel 2 price by 100 dollars will be awesome.

I currently have a Nexus 5X with which I plan on using to start my Peoject Fi service. I will like to migrate to a pixel 2 before the end of the year.

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd320 View Post
    I don't know how competitive Google Fi wants to be.
    I don't expect them to match Boost Mobile's price
    $35/mo. 3 Gigs of 4G LTE Plan Now Includes Taxes & Fees Unlimited Data, Talk, & Text with Mobile Hotspot.**
    $50/mo. Unlimited Gigs Plan Now Includes Taxes & Fees Unlimited Data, Talk & Text Mobile-optimized Streaming Videos, Gaming & Music.

But when Project FI began on April 22, 2015 their data pricing was comparable or better than many of their competitors. But in the last 2.5 years the price of data has dropped dramatically. It seems ridiculous that Google Fi should not have had any drop in price at all.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unless you have read the contract Fi has with all the carriers, there's no point in wishing for what they probably can't entertain. If you were T-Mobile, Sprint or US Cellular, why would you let Fi have the same data price as the parent company. If they did, folks would flock to Fi and get the use of three networks for the price they now pay for one now. Google will never publically discuss this in the open but I'm confident their contract with the three cell providers would restrict Fi from lowering the data price.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Since Google never talks about their business decisions, let me offer some wild speculation.

Project Fi is an experiment. They don't want to charge per minute of talk. That's too old fashioned and would bring in the extreme PAYGO tightwads with very low usage. At the same time, they want customers with some awareness about WiFi. I have a busy friend who's always on social media but mostly ignores free WiFi. Project Fi suggests that users leave WiFi turned on so that voice calls can go over that bandwidth. Charging by the megabyte seems to wake people up so they know where the WiFi is.

I'm not sure today, but earlier in the life of Fi many users reported in web discussions that it was saving them money because they were using WiFi more. If they previously had a "bucket" of data, they could also have saved by using WiFi and choosing a different plan, but that is full of uncertainties. With Fi, a megabyte saved is a penny earned.

With Fi, uncertainty arises when they write about WiFi systems that are available with no login. Where are those open routers? I believe that there is a new standard that will allow you to log in once at Panera/Starbucks/wherever and then enjoy effortless login. I know nothing, but here's a clue: https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi...fied-passpoint . Voice over wi-fi may work more often, and that's a goal of Fi.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds good to me, I do like their business model.

Device(s)
    LG K3
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Unless you have read the contract Fi has with all the carriers, there's no point in wishing for what they probably can't entertain. If you were T-Mobile, Sprint or US Cellular, why would you let Fi have the same data price as the parent company.
    It seems to me that a lot of MVNO's price data cheaper than the parent company. Tello (Sprint MVNO) charges $12 for unlimited talk and text and $45 for UT&T plus 10 GB of data.

There is a wifi first society.
    http://www.wififirst.com/

Our consumption of telecommunication services is analogous to our consumption of water. Most of the time, we have access to clean, drinkable water. Even though water is plentiful, a 1-liter bottle of water can cost as much as $3 or $4. The same amount of tap water costs just fractions of a cent. On average, bottled water is 1,000 times more expensive than tap water. In spite of the abundance of tap water, however, we often pay vastly different prices for the commodity based upon location and convenience. Many of us are willing to pay a huge premium for a bottle of water under certain circumstance. Few of us, however, would wash our clothes or sprinkle our garden with bottled water. To do so would be foolish. So why pay for expensive cellular servicewhen free Wi-Fi is readily available? There may be times and places when Wi-Fi is not available, and in those circumstances cellular access may be worth paying a premium. But the vast majority of our data consumption is within range of Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi should be our first way of getting it.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
    There is a wifi first society.
    http://www.wififirst.com/
    Since the latest 'news' on this website is dated January 2015 I think we can assume that this
    idea's time is still in the future or perhaps never will be.
    Or is so obvious that nobody even needs to think about it.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
    I don't expect them to match Boost Mobile's price
    $35/mo. 3 Gigs of 4G LTE Plan Now Includes Taxes & Fees Unlimited Data, Talk, & Text with Mobile Hotspot.**
    $50/mo. Unlimited Gigs Plan Now Includes Taxes & Fees Unlimited Data, Talk & Text Mobile-optimized Streaming Videos, Gaming & Music.

But when Project FI began on April 22, 2015 their data pricing was comparable or better than many of their competitors. But in the last 2.5 years the price of data has dropped dramatically. It seems ridiculous that Google Fi should not have had any drop in price at all.
    Being very familiar with Boost's sister Sprint MVNO Virgin Mobile, I can assure you that it's not even close:

- No international anything (even Canada)
    - Account throttle after arbitrary amount of data consumed
    - Restricted to native Sprint towers, no reciprocal Verizon roaming like Sprint postpaid, useless 1X data in the boonies
    - Prepaid data de-prioritization; LTE data is often unusable in congested areas such as a college campus

The appeal of Fi is postpaid features at a prepaid price if you can go easy on the mobile data. Fi data is expensive because the carriers charge Google an arm and a leg for full speed, un-nerfed data.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Exactly, apples and oranges when trying to compare Fi with regular carriers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast