Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just checking before switching...

Feedback Score

just checking before switching...

Hi, so I think the new verizon unlimited plan is a no brainer if you have many lines but I better check with you guys first.

Even though I have been with verizon for over 15 years I really do not know how the company treats its customers in general. Though reading the comments of some customers, it sounds like verizon is just one step away from hiring a hitman to finish them off.

We live in Florida and currently have a grandfathered plan with 500min shared between 3 lines (I know, dang) that we pay $81 after tax because we got a 22% corporate discount. But I think it is time to upgrade with this new unlimited plan. I want to get my sister and her husband to cancel their verizon plan and join us on our plan (they live in Seattle WA and pay leg and arm for 2 lines with 2gb-$140 per month). They will pay me for the portion of their bill. I mean they can always port their numbers into our plan or port them to google voice before cancelling their old plan right?

So we are going to have 5 lines ($40 per line base rate). My logic is the new unlimited plan is good if you have a lot of lines. My sister's two kids are growing up and in about 3 years they will demand phones of their own and god knows how much data they will hog. So I am banking on even having more lines in the future and that will reduce the cost per line for everybody.

At one point in time I was thinking about buying an old legacy unlimited plan. However, I do not believe it would work if we also need unlimited talk and text?

So I just want to bounce my ideas off of you guys. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

just checking before switching...

Quote Originally Posted by sovaldi View Post
    reading the comments of some customers, it sounds like verizon is just one step away from hiring a hitman to finish them off.

Your plan sounds like it should work out ok. The base price for multiline UDP is $100 plus $20 per line. Discounts don't apply unless you're military or a veteran. In the marketing material they're breaking it down to $45 per line with 4 lines. For 5 lines that's $40 per line which seems like a pretty damn good deal.

The CS is mediocre, like the other 3 carriers. None of the carriers have good CS really, they all seem to be about the same anymore.

Feedback Score
    I've found Verizon's customer service to be more responsive and just better overall than AT&T, but not as good as T-mobile, so I wouldn't classify them as anywhere near hiring a hitman.

Unlimited is typically good if you need a lot of data. With the new plans unlimited seems to be a no brainer if you need multiple lines and especially if you need more than 8GB. You just need to price the options out to see what is cheaper.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post

Your plan sounds like it should work out ok. The base price for multiline UDP is $100 plus $20 per line. Discounts don't apply unless you're military or a veteran. In the marketing material they're breaking it down to $45 per line with 4 lines. For 5 lines that's $40 per line which seems like a pretty damn good deal.

The CS is mediocre, like the other 3 carriers. None of the carriers have good CS really, they all seem to be about the same anymore.
    LOL! I thought that was funny to.
    All the carriers have generally bad customer service, att is generally good as in friendly but bad as in they don't know what the hell they are doing. Verizon seems to be a lot of outsourced foreigners.

And yes on the new verizon plan the more lines off contract the cheaper it gets
    AT&T Unlimited Plus with Netgear DC112A
    $20 Mobley stand-alone hotspot for home internet

Unlimited ZTE Mobely Hotspot

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a special key about this plan is that the data we use is not collected as a bucket. From my understanding, each line has its own counter, so basically each line has its own soft limit of 22GB(and even if you past this limit, you may not even be throttled depending on where you are, and when you are). If you want to act like it's a bucket like the other plans then, imagine paying for at least 44GB a month on this plan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T's HSPA(3G) @ Home

Straight Talk's(AT&T) HSPA? @ Home

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Hi, so I think the new verizon unlimited plan is a no brainer if you have many lines but I better check with you guys first.

Even though I have been with verizon for over 15 years I really do not know how the company treats its customers in general. Though reading the comments of some customers, it sounds like verizon is just one step away from hiring a hitman to finish them off.
    Keep in mind that for every negative comment you see in a typical forum, there are 100's of users that are happy as a clam. Most people come to forums to b***h about something (nothing wrong with that) so it stands to reason folks that are totally happy with a particular service or product aren't going to sign on to tell everyone.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Feedback Score
    Though reading the comments of some customers, it sounds like verizon is just one step away from hiring a hitman to finish them off.
    Lol! Just those of us with grandfathered UDP.

Feedback Score
    We live in Florida and currently have a grandfathered plan with 500min shared between 3 lines (I know, dang) that we pay $81 after tax because we got a 22% corporate discount.
    Do you have UDP?

But I think it is time to upgrade with this new unlimited plan. I want to get my sister and her husband to cancel their verizon plan and join us on our plan (they live in Seattle WA and pay leg and arm for 2 lines with 2gb-$140 per month). They will pay me for the portion of their bill. I mean they can always port their numbers into our plan or port them to google voice before cancelling their old plan right?
    No need to do that. They just call 611 and release their lines to you and you AOL the lines.

So we are going to have 5 lines ($40 per line base rate).
    Are any of the lines on contract? If so, the LA will be $40/mo. If not, the LA will be $20/mo.

My logic is the new unlimited plan is good if you have a lot of lines. My sister's two kids are growing up and in about 3 years they will demand phones of their own and god knows how much data they will hog. So I am banking on even having more lines in the future and that will reduce the cost per line for everybody.

At one point in time I was thinking about buying an old legacy unlimited plan. However, I do not believe it would work if we also need unlimited talk and text?

So I just want to bounce my ideas off of you guys. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    5 lines on new UDP:

UDP = $110 - $10 ap/pl discount = $100

LA = $20 or $40 depending on contract status

No employer discounts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenP803 View Post
    From my understanding, each line has its own counter, so basically each line has its own soft limit of 22GB(and even if you past this limit, you may not even be throttled depending on where you are, and when you are).
    Deprioritization is done on a line by line basis as is the throttling of tethered data.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of your replies. No what I meant was does Verizon usually honor their bargain or do they try to do away with it as soon as they could-like cutting allowance or jacking up the price. From what I know Verizon pummeled the legacy UDP people pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post

No need to do that. They just call 611 and release their lines to you and you AOL the lines.

All that does is adding two lines with their phone numbers to mine right? the cost is still $30 per line to add them to my plan?

Are there other charges involved with upgrading and adding lines like I plan to do?

Also can someone shows me how to get an idea of what the tax and fee could be? The reps couldn't even give me a ballpark estimate. This is what I got from their online estimator

Step 3: Results Taxes and Surcharge Estimates
    Verizon Wireless Surcharges
    Administrative Charge $1.23
    Regulatory Charge $0.21
    Fed Universal Service Charge 4.2600%
    Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees (% based)
    FL Communications Service Tax
    N Lauderdale Comm Srvc Tax
    Total 12.6600%
    Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees (Monthly Fixed Amount)
    FL State 911 Fee
    Total $0.40

so the fixed fee is less than $2 and the percentage fee is about 17% total? if so, 17% of what? the total ($200?)

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    There doesn't appear to be tax on the line access fee portion. I pay like $7.25 in taxes/fees and my base is $33.75.

Feedback Score
    As nostaldia pointed out above on the new plan the per line charge is $20 out of contract and $40 in contract how are you coming up with $30/line?

Feedback Score
    i meant the activation fee that is $30 per additional line that you add. Which I believe I can avoid by simply transferring my sister's two lines into my account. I don't know if that is the same as doing the AOL things that nostaldia mentioned.

Man I did not realize the tax rates in Florida and Washington are massive. #1 and #4 in the nation.

Feedback Score
    Gives t-mobile a rather (and cricket i think?) large competitive advantage in those areas since their prices are supposed to be including taxes and fees.

AFAIK there is no charge for an AOL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Gives t-mobile a rather (and cricket i think?) large competitive advantage in those areas since their prices are supposed to be including taxes and fees.

AFAIK there is no charge for an AOL.
    I think T-mobile is still more for the same features isn't it? So the taxes and fees might just bring the prices up to parity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast