Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Feedback Score
    Here near NYC many of the small cells are bands 13/4 with CA enabled. Mrizz and I have seen speeds up to 160 Mbps down on some. There are others that are just band 4 SISO only. Regardless their network is becoming extremely dense here with new macros and small cells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Found this small cell on top of an auto repair place in Vernon, CT. Don't think it's AT&T because I only get like 2 to 3 bars in the area, but it could be a Verizon one? I'll let you guys decide?

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk
    That's Verizon , they have the same setup in my town.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    That's Verizon , they have the same setup in my town.
    Yeah I figured as much especially the way you guys were describing the canister type look.

Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
    Verizon in talks with Lowell on wireless cells
    By Todd Feathers, [email protected]
    UPDATED: 03/06/2017 09:28:21 AM EST

Residents and business owners have long yearned for Verizon to run its fiberoptic cables through Lowell -- breaking Comcast's local monopoly on cable and high-speed internet and driving down prices. Verizon won't budge on FiOS, but it is willing to offer an alternative.

The company is in negotiations with the city to install 50 small cells -- essentially miniature cell towers -- throughout Lowell. The canisters, which would be mounted on stop lights and utility poles, would boost wireless internet and cell phone service to Verizon customers.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_30...#ixzz4aggYgsn5
    Name:  IMG_0027.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  89.6 KB

There are 3 of these Verizon small cells in Dracut, MA. One at the Dracut post office, one on Thissell ave and one at the corner of Robbins ave and Methuen st. I have been all around town and have not seen any more yet. They have been up since early January but are not live yet. They all have power and fiber to them, just wondering what the holdup is. By the way, the picture is when the sites first went up before they had power or fiber to them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post

There are 3 of these Verizon small cells in Dracut, MA. One at the Dracut post office, one on Thissell ave and one at the corner of Robbins ave and Methuen st. I have been all around town and have not seen any more yet. They have been up since early January but are not live yet. They all have power and fiber to them, just wondering what the holdup is. By the way, the picture is when the sites first went up before they had power or fiber to them.
    Two small cells near my job were installed for 8 months before they were activated. When they were turned on they were horrible, but in three days time Verizon had tuned them perfectly.

If those small cells are in an area with good macro coverage, don't be surprised if they're just tuning everything before they activate. Also, there's a possibility some are B13 only, like one we have here in Kenilworth, NJ, that you only connect to INSIDE due to good B4 macro coverage outside.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    So in the wake of the unlimited data plan being offered there seems to be a lot of people worried/wondering how Verizon will manage to handle capacity not just from current users switching but newer users joining up and adding to the data traffic. One of the things we all know Verizon is working hard at deploying is small cells and outdoor DAS (distributed antenna system for those who don't know) to help maintain the integrity of the network. I'm closely associated with the front-end engineering portion of these types of setups and I just want to (hopefully) ease some minds that Verizon is fully engaged and aggressively deploying these types of sites in all sorts of areas outside of their macro LTE carrier upgrades. The scale at which they're doing so is, in my opinion, far exceeding what other carriers are doing despite any reports or press releases they have.

With this thread I'm encouraging people to share questions and pictures of these types of setups and I'll answer as best I can.
    I posted earlier in the thread that I saw 3 of these small cells in Dracut, MA. I just found another one in Dracut so that makes 4 total now. The zip is 01826 for the whole town. Is there any way you can find out how many of these they plan to deploy in town and when they will be up and running. All the sites I have found so far have power and fiber connected but are not on the air.

Feedback Score
    Binghamton, NY upper front street. Attachment 149659Attachment 149660

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Here near NYC many of the small cells are bands 13/4 with CA enabled. Mrizz and I have seen speeds up to 160 Mbps down on some. There are others that are just band 4 SISO only. Regardless their network is becoming extremely dense here with new macros and small cells.
    Yeah you're likely to see SISO on a lot of the smaller antenna setups since they're only dualports but that's only for the street pole mounted ones. There are a lot of mini-macro small cells being deployed that have full MIMO B13/B4 with the capability to deploy B2 in the near future. They're utilizing macro RRHs instead of actual small cell units. The NYC network seems to be broken down into three things: macro sites, mini-macros, and small cells and there are many in the works. That's not even counting the very near future upgrades that are coming.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I posted earlier in the thread that I saw 3 of these small cells in Dracut, MA. I just found another one in Dracut so that makes 4 total now. The zip is 01826 for the whole town. Is there any way you can find out how many of these they plan to deploy in town and when they will be up and running. All the sites I have found so far have power and fiber connected but are not on the air.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to MA area so I can't tell. My only guess is they're part of an oDAS type network which, like any DAS network, requires the main hub to be up and running so all of the cell sites within that network can talk to each other but since the one you posted is using a macro RRH I'd label that more as a standalone small cell which would only require the fiber and power run to it to get up and running. Very strange.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Found this small cell on top of an auto repair place in Vernon, CT. Don't think it's AT&T because I only get like 2 to 3 bars in the area, but it could be a Verizon one? I'll let you guys decide?

Most likely it's Verizon. AT&T is starting to implement small cells using cantennas but as far as I can tell they're mainly sticking to utility/light poles and they're in the infancy of their deployment so it's doubtful it's them.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "String of small(ER) cells up big cottonwood canyon SLC. VZ band 13 32mbit/s"

https://twitter.com/adervish/status/840587450401480704

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    "String of small(ER) cells up big cottonwood canyon SLC. VZ band 13 32mbit/s"

https://twitter.com/adervish/status/840587450401480704
    Crown Castle and Udot worked together to install small cells on Big and little cottonwood canyons. I wish they would do same thing for timpanogos Canyon.

Sent from my SM-G925V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

These look identical to the ones I've seen in Boston

Yeah I figured as much especially the way you guys were describing the canister type look.

Time to switch over to Big Red my friend
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Most likely it's Verizon. AT&T is starting to implement small cells using cantennas but as far as I can tell they're mainly sticking to utility/light poles and they're in the infancy of their deployment so it's doubtful it's them.
    I'll have to keep my eye out for the AT&T ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    These look identical to the ones I've seen in Boston

Time to switch over to Big Red my friend
    Well I'm getting 25% off with my fan on AT&T, and coverage has been pretty stellar here in CT. Looks like Verizon and AT&T have the Massachusetts market cornered for coverage. Did you switch over to Verizon's new unlimited plan?

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    All these people posting photos but I've never seen a single small cell in my area (southern NH)

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast