Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon Small Cell/oDAS Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    These look identical to the ones I've seen in Boston

Time to switch over to Big Red my friend
    How are they performing for you in Boston ?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    All these people posting photos but I've never seen a single small cell in my area (southern NH)
    I can't speak for NH but when I was up in Vermont a few months back I saw a stretch of small cells on an out of the way rural highway. I only really noticed it because I noticed the RRU on the pole but perhaps they're there around you, just hidden a bit.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I can't speak for NH but when I was up in Vermont a few months back I saw a stretch of small cells on an out of the way rural highway. I only really noticed it because I noticed the RRU on the pole but perhaps they're there around you, just hidden a bit.
    Yeah those are almost all ATT, their coverage out there is spectacular.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    All these people posting photos but I've never seen a single small cell in my area (southern NH)
    I'm starting to notice these things in more and more places here in Lowell/Dracut MA area. Lowell is in talks with Verizon to deploy 50 of these throughout the city. That would be awesome.
    There also seems to be some T-Mobile small cells or repeaters around Lowell too. I know it's T-Mobile because when I get near one, my signal goes to full bars (I have a T-Mobile phone and a Verizon phone currently, I can't decide which one I want to use as my main line). I will take a pic of one when I have a chance. It has a small brown box and a single antenna at the top of the telephone pole, not a fat round can like the Verizon small cells.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    I'm starting to notice these things in more and more places here in Lowell/Dracut MA area. Lowell is in talks with Verizon to deploy 50 of these throughout the city. That would be awesome.
    There also seems to be some T-Mobile small cells or repeaters around Lowell too. I know it's T-Mobile because when I get near one, my signal goes to full bars (I have a T-Mobile phone and a Verizon phone currently, I can't decide which one I want to use as my main line). I will take a pic of one when I have a chance. It has a small brown box and a single antenna at the top of the telephone pole, not a fat round can like the Verizon small cells.
    This is probably what you're seeing. They're Crown Castle. TMO got on lots of them via the MetroPCS merger, & VZW is starting to activate tons of them in NJ, although they seem to prefer doing their own builds via Tilson Tech.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    Well I'm getting 25% off with my fan on AT&T, and coverage has been pretty stellar here in CT. Looks like Verizon and AT&T have the Massachusetts market cornered for coverage. Did you switch over to Verizon's new unlimited plan?
    Yup, I did drop my grandfathered AT&T plan for Verizon's plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    How are they performing for you in Boston ?
    Will let you know next month. I've been in Miami for work. Verizon is fantastic around South Florida.

Where in VT?

Are you sure those are AT&T? Last time I was on I-89 going towards Canada, I had AT&T LTE everywhere, but there were HSPA spots between cell sites.

I wonder if these small cells are new then...
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'd be very surprised if a rural highway in VT, where AT&T owns no B12, got small cells before markets like NYC, LA, etc...

Verizon is on their fourth year of small cell deployments. My money is on Big Red.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They were Ericsson RRUs so who knows who they were. Verizon typically only sticks to Nokia in this market but I don't know the very upper New England area that well.

Where in VT?
    I believe it was along 15 through Wolcott.

Feedback Score
    Name:  T-Mobile2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  T-Mobile1.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  46.5 KB

As a comparison, these are T-Mobile small cells in my area.

Feedback Score
    Name:  ATT1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  ATT2.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  51.1 KB

This is an AT&T small cell. The antenna looks like the same one's Verizon uses but this is not a Verizon small cell.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure those are AT&T? Last time I was on I-89 going towards Canada, I had AT&T LTE everywhere, but there were HSPA spots between cell sites.

I wonder if these small cells are new then...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    I'd be very surprised if a rural highway in VT, where AT&T owns no B12, got small cells before markets like NYC, LA, etc...

Verizon is on their fourth year of small cell deployments. My money is on Big Red.
    It's been a little while since I drove through those areas, but when I did those small cells were only HSPA and not LTE. Those cells were on the rural highways and not along the interstate, usually in areas that are very rural where I didn't spot a single cell tower, and my Verizon and T-Mobile phone had no service. All those small cells were mounted on existing utility poles.

They've been there for many many years, I believe AT&T bought out a smaller regional carrier, so it may have been from that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    Yup, I did drop my grandfathered AT&T plan for Verizon's plan!
    Will let you know next month. I've been in Miami for work. Verizon is fantastic around South Florida.
    I really envy you , You have a good job, I had to go north for work :-) I'm waiting for your comparison of At&t vs VZW here in Boston. I came back to At&t from T-mobile, but really not impressed a lot. It is better than TMUS, but worse than 2 months ago.
    My choice was Canadian roaming VZ gives 0.5Gb/day only while Att unlimited.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post

They were Ericsson RRUs so who knows who they were. Verizon typically only sticks to Nokia in this market but I don't know the very upper New England area that well.

I believe it was along 15 through Wolcott.
    It's been a little while since I drove through those areas, but when I did those small cells were only HSPA and not LTE. Those cells were on the rural highways and not along the interstate, usually in areas that are very rural where I didn't spot a single cell tower, and my Verizon and T-Mobile phone had no service. All those small cells were mounted on existing utility poles.

They've been there for many many years, I believe AT&T bought out a smaller regional carrier, so it may have been from that.
    T has been installing oDAS systems with Crown Castle since 2011/12 in different parts of the country. They've installed them in Palo Alto CA, different parts of the intermountain west(tie Colorado), Chicago, suburbs of St. Louis, rural Vermont, Boston, Martha's Vineyard, etc...
    It was part of project velocity. Many of them in the beginning were HSPA+ and have been being upgraded with LTE.

Sent from my LG-V520 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great thread!

Wish Verizon would expand a little more in Philly with Crown Castle. There's a huge Verizon (old Pennsylvania Bell building, switch faculty?) that is screaming for a small cell. No small cells on Verizon stores or anything here though.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    These small cells are all over the place in Atlanta and Milton, GA. Not sure if they are Verizon or not.

Name:  20170314_134140.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  20170314_134150.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  20170314_134203.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  78.1 KB

And more are on the way.

http://forsythherald.com/stories/Cit...roposal,101702

MILTON, Ga. — The Milton City Council heard the first presentation of a proposal for seven small cell towers to be located within Milton. As presented, the cell towers would be steel, just under 44-feet tall and be painted to appear like other utility poles within the city. California-based Mobilite first presented the council with a request to use public rights of way in Milton for the small cell towers at the Nov. 21, 2016 council meeting.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast