Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: best home phone replacment

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

best home phone replacment

looking to replace the home phone with a cell phone as cell phone plans are becoming cheaper than home phone plans now at least from all that I've found (cheapest home phone is $30/month here) I'm looking to get a basic feature phone with Bluetooth running on Verizon or ATT towers with unlimited calling with no text (or smallest amount of text) and data (or smallest amount of data)
    or a smartphone running off Verizon or ATT (or any of the big 4's towers only if wifi calling is included) with unlimited calling no texts (or smallest amount of texts) and no data (or smallest amount of data)...... plans must be as cheap as possible (preferably well under $30/month)..... what are your recommendations that must meet all the specifications?

Feedback Score
    The options probably haven't changed much in the few months since the last time somebody asked:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...buy-a-used-one

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    looking to replace the home phone with a cell phone as cell phone plans are becoming cheaper than home phone plans now at least from all that I've found (cheapest home phone is $30/month here) I'm looking to get a basic feature phone with Bluetooth running on Verizon or ATT towers with unlimited calling with no text (or smallest amount of text) and data (or smallest amount of data)
    or a smartphone running off Verizon or ATT (or any of the big 4's towers only if wifi calling is included) with unlimited calling no texts (or smallest amount of texts) and no data (or smallest amount of data)...... plans must be as cheap as possible (preferably well under $30/month)..... what are your recommendations that must meet all the specifications?
    I have used an Obi200 with a Google Voice # for the last 15 months. There is no monthly fee. If you want to port in a landline to GV, you will have to port it to a mobile # 1st, and then to GV.
    PagePlus-PayG 2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 PayG 2013-2016
    Selectel-PayG 2013-2015
    Puppy-Test 2014
    Tracfone-PayG 2015-2016
    TruPhone-PayG 2015-TBD
    Red Pocket-eBay 2016-2017
    Piranha-PayG 2016-TBD
    FreedomPop-GSM 1,200MB/Mo Free 2016-TBD

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    If you have WiFi at home then you can get any smart phone and sign in to Hangouts and use that as your home phone for free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    If you have WiFi at home then you can get any smart phone and sign in to Hangouts and use that as your home phone for free.
    Excellent suggestion.

But if someone is really wedded to a "land line," the Obi200 is on sale right now at NewEgg for $35. This is from an email I received last night:

OBi200 Sale at Newegg – 2/17 to 2/19

From February 17 to 19, Newegg.com will feature the OBi200 on sale at $34.99 with free shipping.

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCRCBE38, ends 2/19

http://mailsg.obihai.com/wf/click?up...VxrKvS9Aqhw-3D

I've used an Obi100 for years; it's great. I pick up any phone in the house and -- magic! -- free outbound GV call. Between the Obi and my prior PBX tinkering using GV, I haven't paid for home phone service in years. For inbound I have a Callcentric Free NY DID and I point GV at that number. I do pay Callcentric for E911 -- who wouldn't?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Excellent suggestion.

But if someone is really wedded to a "land line," the Obi200 is on sale right now at NewEgg for $35. This is from an email I received last night:

OBi200 Sale at Newegg – 2/17 to 2/19

From February 17 to 19, Newegg.com will feature the OBi200 on sale at $34.99 with free shipping.

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCRCBE38, ends 2/19

http://mailsg.obihai.com/wf/click?up...VxrKvS9Aqhw-3D

I've used an Obi100 for years; it's great. I pick up any phone in the house and -- magic! -- free outbound GV call. Between the Obi and my prior PBX tinkering using GV, I haven't paid for home phone service in years. For inbound I have a Callcentric Free NY DID and I point GV at that number. I do pay Callcentric for E911 -- who wouldn't?
    That's a good current price! I got mine a few years before I started using it for $24.99 on sale and with coupon from Newegg soon after it was announced that GV would be discontinuing OBihai support. So I lucked out, since official support was eventually added back!

We actually don't pay for e911 on our Obi200. The 5 people in our household range from 50 to 19 years old, and we all carry cell phones, so we felt that it was unnecessary in our particular situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's a good current price! I got mine a few years before I started using it for $24.99 on sale and with coupon from Newegg soon after it was announced that GV would be discontinuing OBihai support. So I lucked out, since official support was eventually added back!

We actually don't pay for e911 on our Obi200. The 5 people in our household range from 50 to 19 years old, and we all carry cell phones, so we felt that it was unnecessary in our particular situation.
    (*heh* My Obi100 cost me $15, but only "net" because I bought it for $30 and then sold my friend my then cast-off Linksys PAP2T ATA for $15).

I haven't yet bit-the-bullet on cell-only 911. I live in Chicago, and when at home even a 50-foot miss in location accuracy (highly likely even with cell signal triangulation augmenting GPS) can mean the difference between my house or about 5 others nearby. If I call from my landline, the PSAP is transmitted my exact address...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    For inbound I have a Callcentric Free NY DID and I point GV at that number. I do pay Callcentric for E911 -- who wouldn't?
    Me too! I actually prefer using the GroundWire app on my phone to take incoming calls via Callcentric, vs using Hangouts.

However it takes some tweaking whereas Hangouts "just works", so for a beginner I feel like it's an easier recommendation.

Feedback Score
    Me too! I actually prefer using the GroundWire app on my phone to take incoming calls via Callcentric, vs using Hangouts.

However it takes some tweaking whereas Hangouts "just works", so for a beginner I feel like it's an easier recommendation.
    I've got a 3-floor house, and -- being old-school -- don't always have my cellphone RIGHT IN MY HAND RIGHT NOW BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, I'M IMPORTANT AND SOMEONE MIGHT TEXT ME AND I HAVE TO REPLY IN 7 SECONDS [not casting aspersions at you, of course; only the millennials that I see regularly walking into signposts because they can't get their eyes off the phone in their hand for a millisecond...] -- so I like that my 2-line (3 line, in the case of my office) home phones "just ring" (as does my cell: GV rings both). And my home phones (either snazzy cordless or enterprise-grade Nortel keysystem in the case of my office) are all ergonomically superior to, and can sound better than, my cell.

Yes as to the tweaking! (But then, telecommunications is my hobby (and former career). Currently running a local PBX in the house, with one on warm standy and 2 in the cloud. So that I can make/receive a half-dozen calls a day. Did someone say "overkill?")

Feedback Score

Why do you prefer GroundWire over Hangouts?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^What is the benefit of having callcentric?

Feedback Score
    I bought 2 OBi200 boxes from Newegg when they're on sale for $29 each and use my Google Voice numbers as my home phones. I can also send/receive calls, SMS and MMS with these numbers on my cell phones using the Hangouts, Hangouts Dialer and Google Voice apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    Why do you prefer GroundWire over Hangouts?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^What is the benefit of having callcentric?
    In my experience GroundWire uses less bandwidth per minute while offering higher voice quality. It is also better at dealing with slow connections, and can handoff from Wi-Fi to mobile data with only a slight interruption. (Hangouts is getting better at handoffs lately.)

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^You're using the callcentric freeinbound call function as a forwarding number for gv?

What about outbound calls? Ringback dialer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^You're using the callcentric freeinbound call function as a forwarding number for gv?

What about outbound calls? Ringback dialer?
    For outbound calls I'm using PBXes (there was a tutorial on XDA about installing SIPdroid for this and copying out the credentials.)

Using the ILBC codec it sounds really good. I'd use it for inbound too except I find that it sometimes results in server issues that require logging in to my account to fix, so that was out. Using it for outgoing only solves that.

Unfortunately I don't think there's currently a way for new users to connect their Google Voice account to PBXes (correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have used a ringback system to make outgoing calls with Callcentric. It's not bad. I shelled out for the G729a codec (in-app purchase) because it's very easy on the bandwidth.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast