Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: best home phone replacment

Feedback Score
    @GPz1100: Yes, I certainly am -- and @barryspar apparently also is -- using a Callcentric Free New York DID as GV forward-to number. I've been doing it that way for a long, long time.

For outbound, there is no need to do ringback. Several mechanisms work well, and I have used them all:

(1) I run Asterisk (with a FreePBX GUI front end). That set-up has, for a long time, included the "chan_motif Channel Driver." This allows one to set up GV like any other trunk, even though you are not using SIP. From the Asterisk Wiki: "Asterisk communicates with Google Voice and Google Talk using the chan_motif Channel Driver and the res_xmpp Resource module."

(2) I also have an Obi100 ATA. Obi devices allow direct outbound GV calls. Analog phone plugs into Obi, which in turn connects to my home network. Piece 'O cake.

(3) I also have a GV Gateway "Simonics" account (see: https://simonics.com/gw/). Using this gateway permits anyone to set-up GV as if it were a SIP account. Genius. Bill Simon, who set this all up, in an incredibly stand-up guy who participates in a number of forums for the common good.

@barryspar: I, too, used to use GV with PBXes.com. But, long ago, they disallowed that for the kind of free account that I have and I just moved on.

Yes; the above is all redundant. So are the 3 currently active PBX systems that I run. But its a hobby... @GPz1100, you do phones (I remember you from the feline website, from your phone-flashing days). Me, I do SIP...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    I also have a GV Gateway "Simonics" account (see: https://simonics.com/gw/). Using this gateway permits anyone to set-up GV as if it were a SIP account. Genius. Bill Simon, who set this all up, in an incredibly stand-up guy who participates in a number of forums for the common good.
    How does Simonics compare with Callcentric and PBXes in terms of codec support and reliability?

I tried it once and it didn't work out but I don't remember why. I wonder if I should give it another shot.

Device(s)
    Motorla Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you want cheap, simple and reliable get ooma.com
    Buy the hardware and spend about $3.50 a month plus you can use your old landline handsets. Had it for 4 or 5 years and it is rock solid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    How does Simonics compare with Callcentric and PBXes in terms of codec support and reliability?

I tried it once and it didn't work out but I don't remember why. I wonder if I should give it another shot.
    Well, completely different scope and scale. Not remotely comparable.

Callcentric and PBXes: corporations; big operations. Staff, etc.

Simonics: One (I think) guy. But its a single, simple product with a single function that doesn't cost much ($6 one time fee). I've had it since the beginning (there have been two variants, with Ver. 2.0 supporting the new Google OAUTH2 login infrastructure.) I just used it for 3 months without a hiccup. It just so happens that I took it out of service today for the first time since November because I'm back to tinkering with my Obi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haas1994 View Post
    If you want cheap, simple and reliable get ooma.com
    Buy the hardware and spend about $3.50 a month plus you can use your old landline handsets. Had it for 4 or 5 years and it is rock solid.
    Lots of folks like Ooma. It's user friendly for sure. But cheap it ain't necessarily: (1) I think the hardware investment is high, certainly compared to any VoIP hardware I have ever purchased myself, and (2) $3.50, while quite low, is "infinity" more expensive than "zero." Besides, I get the following things that Ooma sells for $10/mo (plus taxes and fees) for -- there it is again -- free:

Free calling to Canada
    Caller Name
    Anonymous call blocking
    Voicemail alerts
    Call forwarding
    Voicemail-to-email forwarding (audio)
    Three-way conferencing
    Do not disturb
    Online Voicemail Playback
    Multi-Ring
    Community blacklist
    Google Voice Extensions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    looking to replace the home phone with a cell phone as cell phone plans are becoming cheaper than home phone plans now at least from all that I've found (cheapest home phone is $30/month here) I'm looking to get a basic feature phone with Bluetooth running on Verizon or ATT towers with unlimited calling with no text (or smallest amount of text) and data (or smallest amount of data)
    or a smartphone running off Verizon or ATT (or any of the big 4's towers only if wifi calling is included) with unlimited calling no texts (or smallest amount of texts) and no data (or smallest amount of data)...... plans must be as cheap as possible (preferably well under $30/month)..... what are your recommendations that must meet all the specifications?
    For cellular with unlimited calling, check out Boom which is $19.99 all inclusive for Verizon service. See https://www.boom.us/plans/individual...g-devices-only

You might want to use a Verizon cellular to analog adapter instead of using a mobile phone. You set up the account using a phone then have them port it over. In that case you'd want this plan: https://www.boom.us/plans/individual...d-text-3g-only which is 3G only and has no SIM card.

If you have broadband Internet then forget about cellular and use an Obi 200, currently $34.99 from Newegg with promo code EMCRCBE38, with Google Voice. You can port your current landline number to Google Voice (with an interim port to a mobile provider because Google Voice only accepts port-ins from mobile numbers) for $20. There is no monthly cost (it's free). You can purchase E911 service, separately, for $15 per year if you want it. This is what I am doing now. I also put the cable modem, and router, on a UPS so I will have service if I lose power. This is probably not quite as reliable as a cellular solution since it depends on the reliability of your internet provider.
    T-Mobile plays a vital role in the wireless industry; they are the only GSM carrier to temporarily port to when switching between AT&T providers, since AT&T does not allow direct porting between their MVNOs or resellers.

Feedback Score
    Ditto on Ooma as a simple VOIP solution. We have it, and on the rare occasions that I need to send or receive a fax (usually a doctor's office) it works. Definitely not the cheapest solution out there, but simple enough and reliable enough that my in-laws and mom are both using it with minimal "tech support" from me. 😀

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We're using the obi200 with gv for our fax line. Initially it wasn't clear if it would work, or if it would work at the highest speed (33.6 kbps). Ran fine for a while at 14.4 kbps, then I bumped it up to 33.6. So far so good. There's a rare occasion when it hickups (the obi). A power cycle fixes it quickly.

Time to start another spreadsheet for keeping track of all the gv #'s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Time to start another spreadsheet for keeping track of all the gv #'s.
    I've only got 7. I can do that in my head.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think I have fewer than that. Between fp sim cards, gv #'s, and a bunch of phones that look identical, it gets very confusing.

I spent the afternoon today trying to figure out why the snow blower won't shut off. Mind you, it's a lovely 70F outside today!

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Boom has a wireless home phone for $19 free equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Buy a used Sprint Home Phone connect box and stick it on Tello for $5
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Feedback Score
    Tello's only worthwhile for low usage customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    ...I've used an Obi100 for years; it's great. I pick up any phone in the house and -- magic! -- free outbound GV call. Between the Obi and my prior PBX tinkering using GV, I haven't paid for home phone service in years. For inbound I have a Callcentric Free NY DID and I point GV at that number. I do pay Callcentric for E911 -- who wouldn't?
    Why would I need or want the Callcentric free DID number? Doesn't the GV number do outgoing and incoming with the Obi?

I am seriously considering this. I have very bad problems with my Vz copper landline. It has bad hum that they will only fix by replacing with FIOS. It also rings all day long with spammers, scammers, telemarketers, political and charitable calls. I get almost none of that junk on my GV number.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

best home phone replacment

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why would I need or want the Callcentric free DID number? Doesn't the GV number do outgoing and incoming with the Obi?

I am seriously considering this. I have very bad problems with my Vz copper landline. It has bad hum that they will only fix by replacing with FIOS. It also rings all day long with spammers, scammers, telemarketers, political and charitable calls. I get almost none of that junk on my GV number.
    The callcentric telemarketer block feature pretty much kills the nuisance calls. callcentric also supports 911 calls.

from https://www.callcentric.com/features/telemarketer_block

When activated, inbound callers (to the DIDs that you have this feature activated on) will hear an automated message which will require them to press a specific key (1-9) in order to complete their call. Your Callcentric Phone WILL NOT begin to ring, until AFTER the inbound caller has successfully pressed the requisite key on their phone.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast