Thread: Unlimited Data Plans Now Available on All 4 Major U.S. Carriers

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Unlimited Data Plans Now Available on All 4 Major U.S. Carriers

Name:  verizon-unlimited.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.7 KB

For our American friends it seems like happy days are here again. Today AT&T will join Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon in offering its customers an unlimited data plan. And it gets better: both Sprint and T-Mobile announced this week that they'll be eliminating restrictions on HD video streaming.

According to DSL Reports, customers on the T-Mobile ONE Plan will have to enable HD streaming with a one-time opt-in via the T-Mobile app. As of today, that option should be available at no additional cost to the user.

As for Sprint, that carrier previously throttled all streaming music, video and game traffic; for unthrottled services customers had to pay an additional fee. With their new unlimited data plan that's no longer the case.

There may be some soft data caps with these new plans. Verizon, for example, reserves the right to throttle data after 22 GB "during periods of network congestion". And tethering may be subject to data caps as well. But let's keep things in perspective here. In a neighbouring country where a smartphone user can easily be charged upwards of $100/month for only a few gigabytes of data, we Canadians can only look on in envy.

Sources: DSL Reports (1) (2), Liliputing
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    One word : COMPETITION

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Another word: bullsh*t. The whole data cap thing was bullish*t from the start because the math and physics of how bits are transmitted means there is no such thing as metering in the same way that we meter atoms such as water. It was an artificial way to make money, and it was never based on reality. It was based on what the market could bear. It was a concept thought up by marketers not by rational science. If only we had a government with balls in Canada we could get rid of the ridiculous billing systems we have in this country. So sad.

Device(s)
    ★☎₪ Blackberry PRIV™ ₪☎★
    Carrier(s)
    ¤º«★ Bell Mobility ★»º¤
    Feedback Score
    While I still have my grandfathered unlimited plan with Bell I would like to know why we don't have a single carrier who provides unlimited data? Some of these plans offering a meager 500MB or 1GB is ludicrous in this day and age.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T's unlimited data plans comes with some expensive strings.