Thread: "priority" to main provider (ie Bell and Telus) on the common network...any truth?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score

"priority" to main provider (ie Bell and Telus) on the common network...any truth?

Considering switching from Bell to PM...Called Bell, and their retentions guy said that the service on the 'lower tier' providers on the Bell/Telus network is not the same.
    Specifically, he said that during load/busy times, one often might not get calls or messages through on the 'lower tier' providers, such as PM and Virgin, as the primary ones (or whatever wording he used for Bell/Telus) would get prioirity.

Any truth to this?

thx!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I say BS. I've been with PM since mid November and never had any issues with calls, messages or data.

EDIT: And before that I was with Koodo for almost 3 years. Same thing, never had a problem.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's the case with Virgin and Koodo, although it is technically possible at the core network level, I haven't seen anyone who has experienced this.

In the case of PM, however, there is some evidence on PM's own discussion boards of throttled speeds.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    I don't think it's the case with Virgin and Koodo, although it is technically possible at the core network level, I haven't seen anyone who has experienced this.

In the case of PM, however, there is some evidence on PM's own discussion boards of throttled speeds.
    Yeah, I did see that...but the speeds are still really fast...faster than one would need to stream 1080p video, from what I understand, so no real need for better in that respect.

Feedback Score
    On Public Mobile 3G, there has been a few times where the latency gave me relapses of being on the Wind network. Fortunately, the problem was short lived. LTE performance is more than adequate, so it means little even if Bell or Telus had better performance.

Feedback Score
    There is absolutely no difference on the Radio Access Network (RAN), other than B30 connectivity, which is not available to Bell at this time. Congestion happens on the RAN. Calls, texts, and data connectivity are not prioritized among Bell, Virgin, Telus, Koodo, Public Mobile.

My suspicion is that there may be a speed limit / throttling imposed by Telus for PM users at the EPC (core), but there's no priority either way.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 02-19-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaelb View Post
    [...]Specifically, he said that during load/busy times, one often might not get calls or messages through on the 'lower tier' providers, such as PM and Virgin, as the primary ones (or whatever wording he used for Bell/Telus) would get prioirity.[...]
    As others have said, this is somewhere between untrue and overblown. I have access to a Telus line and a PM line and get approximately the same speeds on each. Speeds are generally poor on each for me, as I find the network reliable but sloooooooow compared to Rogers in my locale. I'm lucky to get over 16Mbps on Bellus, but routinely got far faster on Rogers.

I think there might be some situations where PM doesn't get the full speeds. Can PM users access CA, for example? Might there be throttling at some level? Hard for me to know, as my speeds on Bellus are always so bad. The one thing I do call BS on is the suggestion that calls and/or messages may not go through. That's a common problem with MVNO/flanker brands in the U.S., but there's no evidence of that kind of thing happening here. For one thing, Rogers and Bellus are insanely spectrum-rich, so the likelihood of that kind of network congestion is low to start with, and it's likely that they wouldn't de-prioritize any users to the point that they couldn't reliably place/receive calls/texts. So speed throttling, maybe. Reliability, however, likely no problem at all. I'm not aware of any PM users here or on the PM forums complaining about not being able to place/receive calls/texts in a situation where another Bellus user could.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Can PM users access CA, for example?
    Yes, absolutely they can. CA is implemented strictly on the RAN.